Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

The story starts in the financial sector. With a financial manager, a suit maker, and Chuck Person.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rds-corruption

Larry Krystkowiak talks frankly about recruiting in aftermath of FBI/NCAA scandal

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...-of-our-faces/

Good comments by Larry. I am starting to feel a little worried about what will happen next. I’m sure that the big targets of these investigations have hired the best law firms to represent them. I wonder what phone calls have been made to legislators, and what kind of pressure will be brought against the Department of Justice? My jaded side is starting to manifest itself. I hope there’s no backing down.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Larry Krystkowiak talks frankly about recruiting in aftermath of FBI/NCAA scandal

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...-of-our-faces/

Good comments by Larry. I am starting to feel a little worried about what will happen next. I’m sure that the big targets of these investigations have hired the best law firms to represent them. I wonder what phone calls have been made to legislators, and what kind of pressure will be brought against the Department of Justice? My jaded side is starting to manifest itself. I hope there’s no backing down.
    Larry was on with Bill Reilly today and said that the folks at Kuzma's prep school were trying to get 50k for Kyle to come on the visit, and then another 50k to get him to sign. Kyle and his guardian ended up paying their own way on the unofficial visit and he committed on the visit. They reported it to the NCAA at the time. Oh by the way, that prep school is still in business. Larry bringing the heat!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I wonder if Cedric Barfield got paid by Larry Brown or some shoe company to go to SMU.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-05-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Larry was on with Bill Reilly today and said that the folks at Kuzma's prep school were trying to get 50k for Kyle to come on the visit, and then another 50k to get him to sign. Kyle and his guardian ended up paying their own way on the unofficial visit and he committed on the visit. They reported it to the NCAA at the time. Oh by the way, that prep school is still in business. Larry bringing the heat!
    dumb question about recruiting.
    Why did Kyle have to pay his own way for an unofficial? I'm assuming the H.S. has to sign off on the official visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    dumb question about recruiting.
    Why did Kyle have to pay his own way for an unofficial? I'm assuming the H.S. has to sign off on the official visit?
    I believe a school has to have a copy of the students transcript in order to make it an official visit. Why Kyle couldn't just send it to them, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I believe a school has to have a copy of the students transcript in order to make it an official visit. Why Kyle couldn't just send it to them, I don't know.
    maybe Kuz sent it to the wrong team or bounced it off his foot

that joke

A copy of both the transcript and a standardized test score are required.

Sounds like the prep school was playing games and Kuz and his guardian decided to just bypass it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am starting to think the hammer might come down on Sean Miller. His press conference to day was not good. Tillerson made a better try at plausible deniability than he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    A copy of both the transcript and a standardized test score are required.

Sounds like the prep school was playing games and Kuz and his guardian decided to just bypass it all together.

im just spitballing here, but I do know that official transcripts have to be issued from the school directly to the requesting party, and can't come into contact with the student. Maybe the U needed an official transcript, which n only come from the official channels.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I am starting to think the hammer might come down on Sean Miller. His press conference to day was not good. Tillerson made a better try at plausible deniability than he did.
    What happened? Anything concrete?
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

It sounds like someone at the prep school was holding his transcripts hostage.

Hearing more indictments are coming in college hoops. Expected to happen within the next two weeks, I'm told.

8:29 AM - 6 Oct 2017

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/...24472550055938

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

What happened? Anything concrete?
    No. Just body language and what he didn't say.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Wow. From Jon Wilner's newsletter today. I wonder how Sean Miller is feeling?

Basketball corruption: Widespread fallout expected

We’ll start with a whopper of a story by Yahoo's Pete Thamel, who reported Thursday that dozens of top programs and coaches will be implicated by the FBI investigation:

“What’s certain is that there’s enough compromising information to rock the sport to its core. There will be thousands of pages of documents, hundreds of hours of wiretaps with the voices of prominent coaches brokering deals with the middlemen, sneaker executives and talent traffickers.”

The disclosure of actionable information (for the NCAA’s enforcement staff) will likely surface in pre-trial motions and during the trials, which don’t begin until the fall, Thamel reported. So this will play out over the next 12-18 months.

Which Pac-12 teams should be worried, above and beyond the two (Arizona and USC) already involved?

That’s easy: Everybody, because you never know what potential rules violations could be discovered once the NCAA begins poking around campuses and interviewing players and coaches.

But first and foremost, any program that has been involved with Lottery Pick-caliber recruits should be on high alert. The highest bid might not have been the only bid. — Jon Wilner.
    Here's Pete Thamel's story:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-col...224417174.html
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-16-2018 at 12:17 PM.

--Yeats

I hope the the Oregon St. student section reminds Sean of the investigation next week with lots of signs and chants.
    Last edited by Brian; 02-16-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I hope the the Oregon St. student section reminds Sean of the investigation next week lots of signs and chants.
    Did ASU drop the ball on that? I fear they did.

But first and foremost, any program that has been involved with Lottery Pick-caliber recruits should be on high alert. The highest bid might not have been the only bid. — Jon Wilner.
    I hope it's not us. It's one thing to cheat and get a star player. It would really be awful to get busted and punished for NOT landing a star.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I hope it's not us. It's one thing to cheat and get a star player. It would really be awful to get busted and punished for NOT landing a star.
    You're not paying attention Sancho. K has been pretty vocal about losing kids to other schools that were willing to pay. Look at the roster. A bunch of overachievers, not one and donners. Look at the schools who have one and dones. Look at Az, So cal to a lesser extent. Maybe Oregon and UCLA. But look closer at the UCLA kids. They are usually not the highest profile kids. They are four stars, but besides Ball, who wasn't unbelievably heralded out of high school, they have 3 and four year really good basketball players. The Schools who will need to look out are Duke North Carolina, Kentucky (although I think Coach Cal is clean funny enough) Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Cal a few years back, Kansas, Michigan State, Ohio State, SMU.

Follow the highly heralded kids out of high school. Where did they go?

How did Bruce Pearl get a top ten class to Auburn? His charming personality just did it, I guess.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 02-16-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    You're not paying attention LA sancho. K has been pretty vocal about losing kids to other schools that were willing to pay. Look at the roster. A bunch of overachievers, not one and donners. Look at the schools who have one and dones. Look at Az, So cal to a lesser extent. Maybe Oregon and UCLA. But look closer at the UCLA kids. They are usually not the highest profile kids. They are four stars, but besides Ball, who wasn't unbelievably heralded out of high school, they have 3 and four year really good basketball players. The Schools who will need to look out are Duke North Carolina, Kentucky (although I think Coach Cal is clean funny enough) Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Cal a few years back, Kansas, Michigan State, Ohio State, SMU.

Fixed it for you.

Are you suggesting that top recruits flocked to USC not because of Andy Enfield's terrific reputation as a guy who gets people ready for the NBA? Or maybe he's just an amazingly gifted recruiter. Why else would USC, never a hoops school, suddenly become the destination for highly-touted high school players?

--Yeats

Fixed it for you.

Are you suggesting that top recruits flocked to USC not because of Andy Enfield's terrific reputation as a guy who gets people ready for the NBA? Or maybe he's just an amazingly gifted recruiter. Why else would USC, never a hoops school, suddenly become the destination for highly-touted high school players?
    Thanks for the correction and that's a terrific question. Or how about Larry Brown? Guy has a reputation for quitting jobs every two or three years, but as soon as he gets the SMU job, he starts landing 5 and 4 stars at a school that has a rich rich history in basketball. He isjust so charming and such an unbelievable coach that everybody wants to go to SMU.

As David James said this morning on the radio: These last 5 years or so may be a really good time to be an underacheiver in the college basketball world.

As you know, my son played at Tennessee last year and I know those guys don't cheat. They were good last year--just a little too young, especially at the guard spot. Their success this year is absolutely no surprise to me. Barnes and his staff have a team full of three stars that they have simply coached up. Same goes for Utah. I'm a big fan of both schools.

Fixed it for you.

I was listening to speculation on the radio this morning about schools that recruit above their pay grade. They were throwing out lots of possibliites--USC obviously, ASU, UConn, West Virginia (would Huggins surprise anybody?), even Gonzaga and Wichita State. DJ was saying that for years he has heard people in the business say over and over and over, "he wont go there--it is a nike school and he is loyal to Adidas." They are "loyal" to Addidas because Addidas sponsored their AAU team (ie., they received payments from Addidas through their AAU team.)

Cal under Cuonzo and UW under Romar would not surprise me.
    Last edited by concerned; 02-16-2018 at 02:11 PM.

I was listening to speculation on the radio this morning about schools that recruit above their pay grade. They were throwing out lots of possibliites--USC obviously, ASU, UConn, West Virginia (would Huggins surprise anybody?), even Gonzaga and Wichita State. DJ was saying that for years he has heard people in the business say over and over and over, "he wont go there--it is a nike school and he is loyal to Adidas." They are "loyal" to Addidas because Addidas sponsored their AAU team (ie., they received payments from Addidas through their AAU team.)
    I would be really surprised if Gonzaga was involved. Look at their players. They aren't usually one and dones.

You're not paying attention Sancho. K has been pretty vocal about losing kids to other schools that were willing to pay. Look at the roster. A bunch of overachievers, not one and donners. Look at the schools who have one and dones. Look at Az, So cal to a lesser extent. Maybe Oregon and UCLA. But look closer at the UCLA kids. They are usually not the highest profile kids. They are four stars, but besides Ball, who wasn't unbelievably heralded out of high school, they have 3 and four year really good basketball players. The Schools who will need to look out are Duke North Carolina, Kentucky (although I think Coach Cal is clean funny enough) Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Cal a few years back, Kansas, Michigan State, Ohio State, SMU.

How did Bruce Pearl get a top ten class to Auburn? His charming personality just did it, I guess.
    Yeah, some schools are obvious (Cal, SMU, Auburn, USC). Wilner's article made it sound like there could be schools on the list that are not obvious. If that's the case, a lack of one-and-done's is not enough to feel safe.

Anyway, I think we're safe at Utah, but nothing about college basketball recruiting would surprise me.

Cal under Cuonzo and UW under Romar would not surprise me.
    Oh man. I'd be pissed as a booster given how mediocre they've been then.

I would be really surprised if Gonzaga was involved. Look at their players. They aren't usually one and dones.
    Wichita State as well. Ron Baker was a walk-on. Cleanthony Early was a D-III JUCO A-A. Fred VanVliet wasn't offered by any major conference school.

If you're gonna suspect WSU, you might as well suspect Utah as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Wichita State as well. Ron Baker was a walk-on. Cleanthony Early was a D-III JUCO A-A. Fred VanVliet wasn't offered by any major conference school.

If you're gonna suspect WSU, you might as well suspect Utah as well.
    Agree 100%. He's coached up his kids.

Now Kansas? Good coach, but they might be in trouble as well.

Yikes

FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

I’d say this leaves more questions than answers.

Lots of lines of payed out money, which would appear to be bad business as these guys never seemed to sign, but there’s nothing to corroborate it. There’s nothing showing how these payments were made, or who they were made to.

And frankly, why would anyone spend money trying to get Kuz to sign in the fall of 2015?