Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sequestration will actually happen

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Boehner, Cantor, the majority whip, McConnell, Pelosi, Reid, Biden and Obama should all resign for this epic fail. I know, it would never happen, but they should pay the price for this, not the ordinary Americans who actually will pay for it.
    Like Z, I agree with this. This entire mess has been brought to us by the United States federal government.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    The Lockheed Martin folks are still getting paid, and the F-35 like the Raptor isn't going anywhere. Those jobs are relatively safe for now, but if you're in the private sector looking to get into the civil service right now isn't a good time to do it.
    It looks OK for now, but as people wake up and look at what we're paying for what, and considering the pretty minor part of the budget that is being axed through sequestration, I wouldn't rule out significant reductions in defense expenditures, including the F-35. I read Canada cancelled their order for the F-35 - just too much money.

The funding situation at the National Institutes of Health is such that we're beginning to see more & more researchers return to their countries of origin because the research funding situation in the US is seen as increasingly tenuous. NIH funding has become far more constrained since the beginning of the financial crisis, and more & more researchers are not getting grant money, and subsequently they're being asked to leave their research institutions. We recently "lost" a talented researcher who is no longer doing high level research, and before that one of our best (American) researchers went to Singapore, where they're getting substantial government funding, electing to bypass the stressful & tenuous funding situation here.

The common retort from conservatives is the private sector should be doing this research, not government funding. Right now and historically we already partner with corporate entities, extensively. Government funded research usually handles the initials parts of the research (such as the Human Genome project) and corporations come in when they see more immediate opportunities for profitability. As the US government tightens it's belts further, more of the foundational research will be moving to China, India, Germany.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 03-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.

I am so upset at the President and his minions (same thing as Butters lackey's when he is Dr. Chaos). The last two weeks I sold all my stocks, bought gold, bought a little cabin up in the mountains and stocked it with lots and lots of food.

Of course since Maxine said there would be no job for me I just up and quit my job yesterday What the heck!!!!

I am going to watch for the lawyer ad that comes on and says they can sue if you get terrible investment advice.

Question to those who will soon be directly affected by the Sequestration: how will your work slowdown be scheduled? Is it every Friday, every other Fri-Mon, lump sum of 22 straight work days off, or something else?

Best of luck to everyone? This will surely be a painful summer for all involved.

I don't think I will be satisfied until spending is down to 1.5 (or what it was in the early 70s) at a maximum. In short, I will never be satisfied. I think our country is toast in the long run. We can't sustain what we are doing. Too many untouchables (medicare, defense, education, social security, etc.).
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    I don't think I will be satisfied until spending is down to 1.5 (or what it was in the early 70s) at a maximum. In short, I will never be satisfied. I think our country is toast in the long run. We can't sustain what we are doing. Too many untouchables (medicare, defense, education, social security, etc.).
    Sweet!

According to a CPI calculator the $1.56 Trillion budget in 1975 is equivalent to $6.68 Trillion today.

If you take our $3.8T 2012 budget and include the $1.1T deficit, we are still $1.78T ahead of the curve.

You should be thrilled!

My 1.5 T was adjusted for inflation.
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    My 1.5 T was adjusted for inflation.
    Oops, I didn't realize the budget numbers I grabbed for 1975 were listed in current dollars. Disregard.

On the other hand perhaps the better measure is as a percent of GDP. In 1975 the total receipts were 17.9% and outlays were 21.3%.

This year the total receipts are 17.8% and outlays are 23.3% of GDP.

To spend the equivalent amount to 1975 the federal budget should be $3.4T instead of $3.8T.

I agree that we are spending ourselves into a Fall of the Roman Empire situation. Perhaps we need one great big war against China, Russia, and Iran to pull us back from the brink #sillysuggestion.

While we haven't been notified indivually yet, furloughs are supposed to start on 21 Apr - one day off per week, plus we loose the compressed work schedule (5-4-9) and have to go to 8 hour days.
    Last edited by happyone; 03-13-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    While we haven't been notified indivually yet, furloughs are supposed to start on 21 Apr - one day off per week, plus we loose the compressed work schedule (5-4-9) and have to go to 8 hour days.
    I've been told we'll either have a Monday or a Friday off. If they're going to screw us, at least give us the Friday off so we can enjoy a 3 day weekend
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Question to those who will soon be directly affected by the Sequestration: how will your work slowdown be scheduled? Is it every Friday, every other Fri-Mon, lump sum of 22 straight work days off, or something else?

Best of luck to everyone? This will surely be a painful summer for all involved.

My agency held a webcast yesterday to discuss. Furlough days will be either Mon, or Fri depending on seniority. There will be no flexibility regarding furlough days (they can't be adjusted for training etc). The furlough is set to start the week of April 21st and run 22 consecutive weeks.

Not quite sure how this is much different than what Cyprus is doing, but I'm not a Constitutional scholar, or even a lawyer. The Department of Interior has decided to deal with sequestration by not paying oil royalties due to states under federal law. How is this not a taking?

Governor Mead: Interior Cannot Meet Budget Reduction by Taking State’s Share of Mineral Revenues

CHEYENNE, Wyo. – Governor Matt Mead is evaluating a letter sent by Director Gregory J. Gould of the Department of Interior, Office of Natural Resources Revenue, to the State Treasurer’s Office. The correspondence is dated Friday, March 22 and was received on the afternoon of Monday, March 25 by the State Treasurer’s Office.

In his letter, Director Gould indicates that, beginning in March 2013 and continuing through July 2013, over $53 million dollars of mineral revenue payments payable to the State of Wyoming will be withheld under sequestration. The monthly amount withheld will be $10,616,442.00 with the possibility of more withholding in August and September. Under federal law, Wyoming is guaranteed 50% of the revenues from mineral leasing on federal lands in this state.

Governor Mead has sought advice from the Attorney General’s Office on recourse available to the State of Wyoming for this impending federal action. All options are being considered. “When the State reduced its budget by over 6% it did not achieve its reductions by withholding mineral revenue due under state leases. That would be taking someone else’s property. Similarly, the Department of Interior should not be able to meet its budget reduction by taking mineral revenues which belong to the states under the law,” Governor Mead said.

Governor Mead is also concerned about the timing of the March letter which addresses federal action set to begin immediately. He said, “This is no way to achieve adequate notice or give our State an opportunity to respond before the action is underway. As far as communications go, this method of passing along significant information that greatly impacts Wyoming gets a grade of F minus or worse. It is not acceptable.”

Governor Mead is consulting the Congressional delegation and neighboring states that are similarly affected, as well as Attorney General Greg Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Not quite sure how this is much different than what Cyprus is doing, but I'm not a Constitutional scholar, or even a lawyer. The Department of Interior has decided to deal with sequestration by not paying oil royalties due to states under federal law. How is this not a taking?
    Yet Obama continues to steal millions of dollars from taxpayers so he and his family can take lavish vacations. It's good to be king, eh Dear Leader?
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Yet Obama continues to steal millions of dollars from taxpayers so he and his family can take lavish vacations. It's good to be king, eh Dear Leader?
    Sorry Garth, every president has stolen millions from us and take lavish vacations. Check GWB's vacation itinerary, and cast that against the trillions borrowed to fight our bogus war in Iraq. GWB may not of raised our taxes, but we will ultimately pay any way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Sorry Garth, every president has stolen millions from us and take lavish vacations. Check GWB's vacation itinerary, and cast that against the trillions borrowed to fight our bogus war in Iraq. GWB may not of raised our taxes, but we will ultimately pay any way.

True, others have done it, but none as frequently as Obama nor after telling the country that we all have to sacrifice in these difficult times. He's the textbook example of a hypocrite.

True, others have done it, but none as frequently as Obama nor after telling the country that we all have to sacrifice in these difficult times. He's the textbook example of a hypocrite.
    Garth, I get your hatred of the POTUS. I experienced it for eight years myself. But the truth of the matter is, the true robbers work up the road. In fact those of us in Utah have employed of them for the last 37 years.

"You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Well shit. Looks like you were right all along.

“The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You are right. They're all lying dirtbags, not just President Obama.
    The presidents may steal millions. Others steal billions. It has taken me A long time to realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Well shit. Looks like you were right all along.

When have I ever said Dear Leader is an alien?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Garth, I get your hatred of the POTUS. I experienced it for eight years myself. But the truth of the matter is, the true robbers work up the road. In fact those of us in Utah have employed of them for the last 37 years.

Are you saying that it's okay for Dear Leader to do it?

I think he is saying that focusing energy on changes locally will make much more impact in the long run. Don't strain at gnats while the elephant is trampling you.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

When have I ever said Dear Leader is an alien?
    I don't know man. But you have always known he was a badguy.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

We've been told that the furloughs will be delayed by at the minimum of one pay period (2 Weeks) We won't get our letters until the 5 April. Hopefully they will work something out.

So are those who suddenly find it appalling when a POTUS they don't agree with does the same thing others have done.

Just for clarity, no I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    So are those who suddenly find it appalling when a POTUS they don't agree with does the same thing others have done.
    I've never denied that Bush did it, if that is what you're implying. My problem is that Obama has taken more vacations - not to mention the separate vacations he and his wife have taken. Did GW and Laura ever take separate vacations?

Edit: That makes me partisan, not hypocritical. I'd only be a hypocrite if I was taking vacations paid for by the taxpayers and telling Obama not to do it.
    Last edited by GarthUte; 03-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What if I disagree with all of them? What does that make me a textbook example of? A grumpy old man?
    A Libertarian.

I've never denied that Bush did it, if that is what you're implying. My problem is that Obama has taken more vacations - not to mention the separate vacations he and his wife have taken. Did GW and Laura ever take separate vacations?
    I have no idea. Given your knowledge of presidential vacation schedules, I presumed you'd be the one to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I have no idea. Given your knowledge of presidential vacation schedules, I presumed you'd be the one to know that.
    That depends on who you ask. Liberals say Bush took more vacations. Conservatives say he took less vacations. Most of Bush's vacations were to his ranch. Most of Obama's have been to expensive resorts. As for separate vacations, I'll guess that Laura took a few of her own.

Again, my point is that Obama is telling us that we as Americans have to tighten our belts in order to get through the sequestration. There isn't enough money to open the White House to tours, but there was plenty for him to go golfing with Tiger. Does that not bother you?

That depends on who you ask. Liberals say Bush took more vacations. Conservatives say he took less vacations. Most of Bush's vacations were to his ranch. Most of Obama's have been to expensive resorts. As for separate vacations, I'll guess that Laura took a few of her own.

Again, my point is that Obama is telling us that we as Americans have to tighten our belts in order to get through the sequestration. There isn't enough money to open the White House to tours, but there was plenty for him to go golfing with Tiger. Does that not bother you?
    No more or less than any other president.

Look, those guys lead such vastly different lives than I am used to, I couldn't even begin to judge what is considered "excessive". It all seems excessive to me.

But, if your point is the money being spent, then I would think that the upwards of $150M being spent on renovating Guantanamo Bay, a place that Obama said he would close in his first campaign tour, would be a much jucier target than how much his golfing lessons with Tiger are.