Thread: The 2013 Academy Awards

The 2013 Academy Awards

I guess we should have a thread on this. I wasn't surprised by any of the awards except Best Picture. I really enjoyed Argo (despite the seemingly countless and gratuitious F-bombs throughout the movie) but I don't think it deserved the best Picture Oscar. Lincoln and Les Miserables were better. Also, there was too much Django-love last night. All the fawning over Tarantino was a bit much for me.

Does anyone agree with me that Seth McFarlane will never host the Oscars again?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I guess we should have a thread on this. I wasn't surprised by any of the awards except Best Picture. I really enjoyed Argo (despite the seemingly countless and gratuitious F-bombs throughout the movie) but I don't think it deserved the best Picture Oscar. Lincoln and Les Miserables were better. Also, there was too much Django-love last night. All the fawning over Tarantino was a bit much for me.

Does anyone agree with me that Seth McFarlane will never host the Oscars again?
    I thought he was Seth McFarlane was hilarious. We saw your boobs was funny. Flight parody was funny.

William Shatner had it right: Tina and Amy should host everything every year. I did no see Argo, and thought Lincoln should have won. But my wife said DDL made that movie, and it got its appropriate Oscar through him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We saw your boobs was funny.
    I was watching with my 15 year-old daughter and thought it was tasteless. I also thought his closing bit with Kristen Chynoweth ("To the Losers") was tacky and mean. Maybe that's just my inner curmudgeon talking, but I agree with him this time.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-25-2013 at 09:05 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I liked Argo but knowing so much of the real story of what happened lessened the film in my mind as it was simply too much fiction and too much praise on Mendez who was really a bit player to the true mastermind Ambassador Taylor. Best actor and Actress were well deserved as well as Best supporting. Other than that I didn't care so much. Ang Li probably deserved it for Life of Pi but I never saw the film so I cant really comment. Seth Mcfarlane was ok as host but most of the jokes were flat. The musical performance by the Les Mis cast was my favorite part of the evening.

Here are my low brow comments: I thought that Charlize Theron and Anne Hathway both looked stunning. Jennifer Lawrence is also adorable and looked terrific Her reaction was so genuine and cute, and she even took having yet another wardrobe malfunction going up the steps in stride. Also, SuperGabers has major hots for Hugh Jackman and the other guy we were watching with and myself agreed that he is probably as close as anything there is to shoving us that direction on the Kinsey scale.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

McFarlane nailed it and I think the "Loser" song at the end was great. Too many celebrities are way too into themselves and need to be poked fun of as much as possible.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

I was watching with my 15 year-old daughter and thought it was tasteless. I also thought his closing bit with Kristen Chynoweth ("To the Losers") was tacky and mean. Maybe that's just my inner curmudgeon talking, but I agree with him this time.
    yes the old "we have to protect the children" I think most kids will survive if they see a song and dance number that talks about seeing peoples boobs.

I bet that not only does she know about boobs, but also that she knows YOU know about boobs. If she asked you what that meant, I hope you just told her and didn't say "ask you mother."

I probably don't have the same sensibilities about nudity that you do (I think if society weren't so prude about it, it wouldn't have such forbidden fruit appeal) but I do think there is a good discussion to be had there about whether or why it is necessary in a given film. To me it makes sense in many films and in others it is obviously gratuitous and unnecessary. Men are not treated as objects in the same way as often.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    yes the old "we have to protect the children" I think most kids will survive if they see a song and dance number that talks about seeing peoples boobs.
    No, she hears much harder-edged stuff than that every day at school, so no need to protect her. I still thought it was tasteless. Now please get off my lawn. UD, you too.

--Yeats

Only old people watch the Oscars. McFarlane grossed a half a billion dollars with the movie Ted. Ted was the real movie story of the year. Most of those going to see the movie were young people. They are trying to get young people to watch and he is as close to the pied piper as you can get for them. You are showing your age LA. Perhaps you need to go find a thunder buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Only old people watch the Oscars. McFarlane grossed a half a billion dollars with the movie Ted. Ted was the real movie story of the year. Most of those going to see the movie were young people. They are trying to get young people to watch and he is as close to the pied piper as you can get for them. You are showing your age LA. Perhaps you need to go find a thunder buddy.
    Now, now, let's keep this thread on point. It's about the Oscars. "Ridiculing the Elderly" needs to be another thread.

By the way, welcome to UB5, Two Utes! Go over to the Emigration Canyon forum and introduce yourself.

--Yeats

Argo's victory should be taught as a film school case study on winning an Oscar:

- Period piece: check
    - Feel good story (Americans outsmart Iran!) with a darker subtext (the hero has a troubled relationship with his wife): check
    - A movie about making a movie (sort of): check
    - Movies have an impact on real life: CHECK

I liked Argo, but I think it will go down in history as one of the more mediocre best picture winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Argo's victory should be taught as a film school case study on winning an Oscar:

- Feel good story (Americans outsmart Iran!) with a darker subtext (the hero has a troubled relationship with his wife): check

I liked Argo, but I think it will go down in history as one of the more mediocre best picture winners.
    Agree. It was fun to watch (especially for an older guy like me, who lived through that period), but Best Picture? I don't think so.

--Yeats

Since it was a salute to musicals I thought everything was pretty well done. The Sound of music scene was pretty clever.

I can't believe Brave won best animated feature. ParaNorman and Wreck-it-Ralph were both superior films. I'm also disappointed that Cloud Atlas was completely snubbed. Django Unchained was deserving of best original screenplay, but I was rooting for Moonrise Kingdom for that award.

I personally didn't like this version of Les Miserables, so I'm glad it didn't win best picture. I think Django or Lincoln should have taken it. Argo winning was a surprise.
    Last edited by Hadrian; 02-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Agree. It was fun to watch (especially for an older guy like me, who lived through that period), but Best Picture? I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

Nothing could be as bad as Crash.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Nothing could be as bad as Crash.
    Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan was pretty ridiculous
    Those shoes are definitely bi-curious.

Yes, but Shakespeare in Love at least had Affleck in it. Crash was just a bunch of schlock, a wannabe Magnolia for middle-schoolers.

Braveheart and Dances with Wolves are right up there bad, too.

Yes, but Shakespeare in Love at least had Affleck in it. Crash was just a bunch of schlock, a wannabe Magnolia for middle-schoolers.
    are u thinking of Joe Fiennes?

They were both in it.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    are u thinking of Joe Fiennes?
    Not during.

I thought Michelle Obama did a great job. She was both witty and charming.

I was surprised she didn't take the opportunity to mention the sequestor will be devastating to the movie industry.

As an aside, of the two Affleck's, I prefer Casey, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Braveheart and Dances with Wolves are right up there bad, too.
    Braveheart? Thats one of my all time favorites despite the historical inaccuracies. Is this a common opinion that it was bad?

Quote Originally Posted by macktruck32 View Post
    As an aside, of the two Affleck's, I prefer Casey, personally.
    I liked both of them in Good Will Hunting, but I thought Affleck was at his best in Chasing Amy. His worst, well, we'll leave that alone.

I got 7 of my 8 major category picks correct. Nailed it on Best Actor & Actress, Supporting Actor & Actress, Original & Adaptive Screenplay as well as Argo as best picture. Blew it by taking Spielberg and as soon as Life of Pi (which by the way was an incredibly beautiful movie) started winning the cinematography and visual image awards. I did list Ang Lee as my dark horse in that category.

As for Argo I look at it this way. Neither it, nor Lincoln, nor Zero Dark Thirty claim to be documentaries. All three of them bill themselves as fictional works based on true events, a true story or factual events. Probably the one thing that bugged me the most about the inaccuracies in Argo is the idea that a) the takeoff speed of a Boeing 747 is approximately 180-185 mph depending on altitude yet two police cars are keeping up with it as it leaves the ground and b) one car is keeping that pace right behind the #4 engine.

They're movies meant to entertain, not documentaries and I thought Argo deserved every award it won.

Shocked beyond belief, disappointed, and angered...

la-na-tt-argos-oscar-win-20130225-001.jpg
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Shocked beyond belief, disappointed, and angered...

la-na-tt-argos-oscar-win-20130225-001.jpg
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide