Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utah vs. Oregon 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    I am surprised everyone is giving Scalley a pass. His D scheme yesterday & for most of this year was/is poor (at best).

He plays an OLB outside on the strong side & then an inside LB & then a safety. Rarely does he use 3 LBs. So Oregon ran to the weak side---at Anae who was getting worked by their LT. And when he got pushed inside or knocked off his feet there was no OLB to control the edge. It is too hard for a LB to run from the inside to try to catch a back --who then cuts back--happened to both Barton & Thompson & they fly right by the runner.

When you know you are facing a true freshman QB at Oregon---who did not complete a deep ball all day---load the BOX, like most teams do against the Utes & make him beat you with his arm.

Scalley is a great recruiter & position coach---long ways to go to be a good coordinator.

Another note---Lowell L is not a high draft pick like his brother---several plays he got pushed 5 yards out of the play. Mokofisi is the best DT.
    Does Scalley even have 3 LBs that can play?

And we're they protecting Hansen from injury? It's Whitts defense, not Scally's.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    And we're they protecting Hansen from injury? It's Whitts defense, not Scally's.
    Be careful not to question the infallibility of The Kyle.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I am surprised everyone is giving Scalley a pass. His D scheme yesterday & for most of this year was/is poor (at best).

He plays an OLB outside on the strong side & then an inside LB & then a safety. Rarely does he use 3 LBs. So Oregon ran to the weak side---at Anae who was getting worked by their LT. And when he got pushed inside or knocked off his feet there was no OLB to control the edge. It is too hard for a LB to run from the inside to try to catch a back --who then cuts back--happened to both Barton & Thompson & they fly right by the runner.

When you know you are facing a true freshman QB at Oregon---who did not complete a deep ball all day---load the BOX, like most teams do against the Utes & make him beat you with his arm.

Scalley is a great recruiter & position coach---long ways to go to be a good coordinator.

Another note---Lowell L is not a high draft pick like his brother---several plays he got pushed 5 yards out of the play. Mokofisi is the best DT.
    I agree. Why is he getting a pass? This is the worst defense we've had in years. Opposing running backs consistently break initial tackles and the pursuit of other defensive players is lacking. Those two issues are about effort and that is on coaching. Right now Scalley as Defensive coordinator is getting a big fat C from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I agree. Why is he getting a pass? This is the worst defense we've had in years. Opposing running backs consistently break initial tackles and the pursuit of other defensive players is lacking. Those two issues are about effort and that is on coaching. Right now Scalley as Defensive coordinator is getting a big fat C from me.
    It cannot be a surprise to anyone that Kyle likes to hire and promote "within the family." (This is not about whether Kyle should remain as HC; I think he should. He is who he is, however.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I agree. Why is he getting a pass?
    He's getting a pass because of a strong track record to this point. You field a good defense for years, you've earned a little leeway during a tough season. If we struggle again next season, people will be calling for his job. It really doesn't take much for our fanbase to start calling for people's heads.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He's getting a pass because of a strong track record to this point. You field a good defense for years, you've earned a little leeway during a tough season. If we struggle again next season, people will be calling for his job. It really doesn't take much for our fanbase to start calling for people's heads.
    Isn’t this Scalley’s second year as DC?

I think I’m like most loyal Utah fans — I don’t want him fired, I just want a good defense. I also want the HC to make good hires. I don’t want him fired either.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Isn’t this Scalley’s second year as DC?

I think I’m like most loyal Utah fans — I don’t want him fired, I just want a good defense. I also want the HC to make good hires. I don’t want him fired either.
    It is only his second year so I don't want Scalley to go--he is too good at recruiting. He needs to consult with Pease or Whitt or someone as he needs to figure out what has worked in the past & run it.
    Last year he wanted 5 on the DL---did not work; this year he loves only 2 LBs---not working. Chase is getting beat up because he is the 3rd LB---not working.

He needs to consult with Pease or Whitt or someone as he needs to figure out what has worked in the past & run it.
    I have to think that he consults with Whitt on the defense all the time. Do we think this is not the case?

It is only his second year so I don't want Scalley to go--he is too good at recruiting. He needs to consult with Pease or Whitt or someone as he needs to figure out what has worked in the past & run it.
    Last year he wanted 5 on the DL---did not work; this year he loves only 2 LBs---not working. Chase is getting beat up because he is the 3rd LB---not working.
    Don’t know if it’s a love of 2LB or we just don’t have enough LB’s

We really only have 4 LB’s. For many games we’ve had 2-3.

We’re insanely thin at LB, why that hasn’t been addressed in recruiting is a question someone needs to be asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Don’t know if it’s a love of 2LB or we just don’t have enough LB’s

We really only have 4 LB’s. For many games we’ve had 2-3.

We’re insanely thin at LB, why that hasn’t been addressed in recruiting is a question someone needs to be asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been asking that exact thing for three years! Maybe I should be DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I've been asking that exact thing for three years! Maybe I should be DC?
    Can you recruit?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Can you recruit?
    No. Is that pArt of the job?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I have to think that he consults with Whitt on the defense all the time. Do we think this is not the case?
    Of course he does. Whit routinely sits in on the defensive game planning meetings as does Pease when he is in town.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Of course he does. Whit routinely sits in on the defensive game planning meetings as does Pease when he is in town.
    Does KW ever sit in on the corresponding offensive meetings, as far as you know?

--Yeats