Thread: Gold Star Families

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Except that’s not where it started. It started when Trump pivoted from a reporters question about why he hadn’t made a single statement about these four soldiers that had been killed under rather unusual circumstances. He then went out of his way to tell the country how much he cares and that no previous president cares about dead soldiers as well as he does. Then in a panic, he does a crash course and calls all four families within twenty four hours. One of those families while she was on her way to meet her husband’s casket.

Trump has a difficult time relating to people under ideal conditions. Just see how he handled his trip to Puerto Rico. These weren’t ideal conditions and I have little doubt that he lacked preparation. He probably struggled with everyone’s names since they weren’t ideally traditional names and just his naturally dismissive tone. To a young, black, grieving and pregnancy related emotional widow, I’m sure it was too much to handle. I only mention her race because given Trump’s history with people of color, I think it’s definitely relevant. I think General Kelly had a grasp on all of this, which is why he recommended that Trump not make the calls.

Now, one of this fallen soldier’s mentors (who just so happened to be a congresswoman), was with the grieving family, was part of the grieving family when this call was made. Again, on their way to the airport to meet the casket. The call ended, the widow was hurt and they were all dealing with it together. As I understand it, the media was at the airport waiting for the family and the casket. This is why we have the heartbreaking video of this poor woman sobbing at the casket. Congresswomen Wilson was upset and had asked to speak to the president concerning the conversation that was just had. She was denied that opportunity and then when she got out of the car, there were reporters with microphones asking questions. Exasperated by everything, I think she felt a need to speak for Mrs. Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We can agree to disagree. I think what she did was wrong. It was politically motivated, and arose from a condolence call from the president to a grieving military widow. The absolute wrong way to make political points, and that’s what she was doing. That’s what got John Kelly going.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We can agree to disagree. I think what she did was wrong. It was politically motivated, and arose from a condolence call from the president to a grieving military widow. The absolute wrong way to make political points, and that’s what she was doing. That’s what got John Kelly going.
    Trump took what would appear to be the most difficult thing to politically screw up, and made a mess of it.

What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Trump took what would appear to be the most difficult thing to politically screw up, and made a mess of it.

What an idiot.
    Completely agree. I just think the congresswoman was out of line too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The Congresswoman is a close friend of the family, and this was an honest response. She is a career educator and school principal, and she established an after-school mentoring program to help kids excel in life (5000 Role Models in Excellence). Sgt Johnson (and I believe his wife was also) graduated from her program.

The president has shown himself to be not only one of the worst leaders in history, but he is also one of the least admirable and least capable people to ever hold a political office above that of Dog Catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The Congresswoman is a close friend of the family, and this was an honest response. She is a career educator and school principal, and she established an after-school mentoring program to help kids excel in life (5000 Role Models in Excellence). Sgt Johnson (and I believe his wife was also) graduated from her program.

The president has shown himself to be not only one of the worst leaders in history, but he is also one of the least admirable and least capable people to ever hold a political office above that of Dog Catcher.
    She was wrong to go public with such information in an effort to make Trump look bad. (He of course responded as he always does and is a fool in such matters.)

--Yeats