Thread: Utah versus Montana Tech (Exhibition) game thread

Utah versus Montana Tech (Exhibition) game thread

Apologies for the generic title. Even if its against an inferior opponent in a game that wont count in any way, shape, or form, I am excited to have Runnin' Utes basketball back! Not sure how much (if anything) we can take from such a game, but it should be fun to see the guys on the court again!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Apologies for the generic title. Even if its against an inferior opponent in a game that wont count in any way, shape, or form, I am excited to have Runnin' Utes basketball back! Not sure how much (if anything) we can take from such a game, but it should be fun to see the guys on the court again!
    There's no stream of this game, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    There's no stream of this game, right?
    I dont believe so. The Pac-12 network is airing a replay of the cross country championships, so I can understand why they wouldn't show it.

This game is technically an exhibition. Thus the lack of tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    This game is technically an exhibition. Thus the lack of tv.
    Yeah, but in past years, the athletic department streamed the exhibition games online. It was a poor quality stream, but it was watchable.

Utah twitter says starting lineup:

Bibbins
    Barefield
    Bealer (killer B's)
    Rawson
    Collette

Soto tweets we are up 45-15 at the 4 minute mark in the first.

Update

I’m trying to suffer through listening to this thing on the “radio” like a freakin’ pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I’m trying to suffer through listening to this thing on the “radio” like a freakin’ pioneer.

The most entertaining piece of this broadcast was when, in the middle of play, you hear Larry ask Reilly what the score to the World Series was.

I’m not sure the Utes will be able to get much out of this.

Box score:

https://www.utahutes.com/boxscore.as...22&path=mbball

Tillman lead the team in rebounds with 8. Barefield with 8 assists. Seeley with 6 rebounds. Nothing really jumps out at me. I guess Bibbins going 1-8 does in a bad way.

Tillman is a player--he looks comfortable on the court. Hit a nice looking 3 & a drive on the baseline. Plus he rebounds---at some point he gets more minutes at the 4 over Rawson---who was stripped from the ball twice.

Barefield was really good---bunch of assists & nice passes.

Jayce Johnson is much improved. His FTs which were horrible last year are now decent---over 50%.

PVD was first off the bench. Solid back up. Started in 2nd half over Bibbins. Bibbins missed some lay-ups & 3s--but should start.
    Caldwell was OK, can not shoot the 3.---not a scorer.

Seeley was all over the place. Talent, but a long ways away from major minutes.

Popoola was put in after Beau Rydalch---ouch. Thought he might be a red shirt---but instead will just get splinters until garbage time.

Thanks for the info. I wonder what's the deal with Popoola. Wasn't he relatively well-recruited? Has a lot of bounce...not enough between the ears or has attitude issues? Of course, it could be just LK wants to bring him along slowly. Should be interesting to see how this develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Tillman is a player--he looks comfortable on the court. Hit a nice looking 3 & a drive on the baseline. Plus he rebounds---at some point he gets more minutes at the 4 over Rawson---who was stripped from the ball twice.

Jayce Johnson is much improved. His FTs which were horrible last year are now decent---over 50%.

PVD was first off the bench. Solid back up. Started in 2nd half over Bibbins. Bibbins missed some lay-ups & 3s--but should start.

Popoola was put in after Beau Rydalch---ouch. Thought he might be a red shirt---but instead will just get splinters until garbage time.

He could technically still red shirt as this game doesn't count.

I've read somewhere a reference to Popoola dealing with an injury, so maybe that limited him (although if that's the case I wonder why not just hold him out completely?).

The real disappointment to me is that Seeley is apparently not currently playable. That means we're going to be relying an awful lot on Rawson (who can pass, is supposed to be a good shooter but that's never really shown in his time at Utah and is so soft on defense and the boards) and Tillman (who is undersized at the 4 and will be needed to play the 3 some as Bealer is our only real 3). When you combine soft Rawson with undersized Tillman as our options at 4 to go along with Collette (who is skilled but plays very much below the rim) at 5, I think we're going to struggle a lot against teams with good size and athleticism inside. Maybe Jayce will make enough of a leap to mitigate that as I think he's the only one built to play physical and protect the paint, but that's seems like a lot to ask right now.

You can't take much from a game like that, but that position has me concerned. I think if Bibbins settles down and hits some shots that will be a nice backcourt combo with him and Barefield. Van Dyke is fine as a role player and Caldwell looks to also be a nice contributor in a non-scoring role.

I'm still more excited about next season than this one

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    Yes. This.
    Well, yeah, but it's hard to not be excited to see a new team at the start of a new season. Even if expectations are low. Go Utes!

I have said all along - I hope Tillman is able to replace Rawson at the 4. I don't mind him being undersized if he can be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, yeah, but it's hard to not be excited to see a new team at the start of a new season. Even if expectations are low. Go Utes!
    Oh, I know. I'm totally with you on that. I have my season tickets and plan to catch most of the games unless they end up being terrible (ain't nobody got time for that!). Still, it's been weird to see this little bubble of mediocrity form between a not-too-distant S16, three recent NBA draftees, and what looks like a fairly bullish recruiting outlook for the near future. Just gotta ride this one out, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I've read somewhere a reference to Popoola dealing with an injury, so maybe that limited him (although if that's the case I wonder why not just hold him out completely?).

The real disappointment to me is that Seeley is apparently not currently playable. That means we're going to be relying an awful lot on Rawson (who can pass, is supposed to be a good shooter but that's never really shown in his time at Utah and is so soft on defense and the boards) and Tillman (who is undersized at the 4 and will be needed to play the 3 some as Bealer is our only real 3). When you combine soft Rawson with undersized Tillman as our options at 4 to go along with Collette (who is skilled but plays very much below the rim) at 5, I think we're going to struggle a lot against teams with good size and athleticism inside. Maybe Jayce will make enough of a leap to mitigate that as I think he's the only one built to play physical and protect the paint, but that's seems like a lot to ask right now.

You can't take much from a game like that, but that position has me concerned. I think if Bibbins settles down and hits some shots that will be a nice backcourt combo with him and Barefield. Van Dyke is fine as a role player and Caldwell looks to also be a nice contributor in a non-scoring role.

Apparently Popoola is healthy now, but was out until about 2 weeks ago with injury so he’s behind.

I’ve heard Larry compare Seeley to Kuz in terms of their first season, I’m hoping he calms down, seems like he could at least be a good rebounder this year if he’s not frantic.

My big take away from this game was the obvious change in chemistry. You can tell these guys are a team, they enjoy being around each other. The body language from the players and coaches was much improved.

Popoola does not handle the ball very well & is not a great shooter. He has size & appears to know how to play------ & has a great attitude.

If next year's recruits are as good as advertised, he needs to get better skills in a hurry.

Popoola does not handle the ball very well & is not a great shooter. He has size & appears to know how to play------ & has a great attitude.

If next year's recruits are as good as advertised, he needs to get better skills in a hurry.
    I have preconceived biases and/or experienced observations that effect how I view Poopoola.

I have always considered Poopoola as the kid who matured so early that he was head and shoulders above other players and became highly sought after. But really, just like Austin Kafentzis, he just matured early and is way overrated as a result.

Your kid is much more likely to be a high school all-star if he gets hair on his balls in sixth grade. High schools and colleges do a really piss poor job of projecting talent as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I have preconceived biases and/or experienced observations that effect how I view Poopoola.

I have always considered Poopoola as the kid who matured so early that he was head and shoulders above other players and became highly sought after. But really, just like Austin Kafentzis, he just matured early and is way overrated as a result.

Your kid is much more likely to be a high school all-star if he gets hair on his balls in sixth grade. High schools and colleges do a really piss poor job of projecting talent as a result.
    Pretty low class to attack our own player and coaches. The same coaches that put a kid in the NBA in each of the last 3 years.