Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1675

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Jeff Sessions out.

Chaos in.
    Depends on who his successor is. I personally think he should not have recused himself from the Russia investigation. Didn't help anything.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I am betting that it's this guy.

TrumpJr-703x422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    …….We saw some good bipartisan legislation enacted when Reagan and Clinton had to deal with a House controlled by the opposite party.

I'm a fan of compromise government, given the evidence of Reagan and Clinton. My gut tells me this time will be a disaster. I think the dems would rather continue down the path of a scorched earth policy and burn the system to the ground rather than work with Trump. Praying that a screeching halt to legislation is all that happens......but wouldn't bet on it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I'm a fan of compromise government, given the evidence of Reagan and Clinton. My gut tells me this time will be a disaster. I think the dems would rather continue down the path of a scorched earth policy and burn the system to the ground rather than work with Trump. Praying that a screeching halt to legislation is all that happens......but wouldn't bet on it.
    I too hope for compromise but I fear that compromise with Trump will be the surest way to ensure defeat the next election cycle among those on the left. Trump has polarized things that much that even by chance he becomes reasonable nobody is going to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I too hope for compromise but I fear that compromise with Trump will be the surest way to ensure defeat the next election cycle among those on the left. Trump has polarized things that much that even by chance he becomes reasonable nobody is going to accept it.
    As long as Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell are in charge there is not much chance of compromise. Both are terrible for their party.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    As long as Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell are in charge there is not much chance of compromise. Both are terrible for their party.
    They're both prisoners of their base.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Gotta love politicians. (Yes, I know both sides do things like this. It’s funny either way.)

A374C633-ED26-4BBB-AFBF-34C60770DF31.jpeg

--Yeats

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Gotta love politicians. (Yes, I know both sides do things like this. It’s funny either way.)

A374C633-ED26-4BBB-AFBF-34C60770DF31.jpeg
    Sure, if you dredge up any politician's past you are going to find contradictions about 1/1024th of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 11-08-2018 at 06:04 AM.

I’m sorry to see that Ruth Bader Ginsberg fell and hurt herself. If she leaves the Court during Trump’s term I hope he appoints Merrick Garland to replace her. (I’m serious.)

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Pelosi has said it's important to groom a new generation of leadership. Based on her ability to count votes - "Nancy Pelosi never enters a race she won't win" - and a growing number of Dems who won't vote for her for SOTH, I hope she does the smart thing and does some aggressive mentoring.

Democrats need to start promoting a bipartisan, positive leadership style, mostly not reacting to everything Trump says or does. In two years, Trump has worn out most people from his endless toxicity. There's a hunger for optimism and rationality (though it appears we'll have to go through a political and economic typhoon first).

A leadership style that contrasts with that shown by Trump is the way forward. Getting the wave of women out to vote was a great start. Now build on it.

I’m sorry to see that Ruth Bader Ginsberg fell and hurt herself. If she leaves the Court during Trump’s term I hope he appoints Merrick Garland to replace her. (I’m serious.)
    The chance of that happening is zero. He will nominate another Kavanaugh, only cleaner (one can only hope.) You'll now have six very conservative justices. Your hope of Roberts being a moderating voice would be overruled by the other five.
    Will a very conservative right USSC galvanize moderates against Republicans?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Pelosi has said it's important to groom a new generation of leadership. Based on her ability to count votes - "Nancy Pelosi never enters a race she won't win" - and a growing number of Dems who won't vote for her for SOTH, I hope she does the smart thing and does some aggressive mentoring.

Democrats need to start promoting a bipartisan, positive leadership style, mostly not reacting to everything Trump says or does. In two years, Trump has worn out most people from his endless toxicity. There's a hunger for optimism and rationality (though it appears we'll have to go through a political and economic typhoon first).

A leadership style that contrasts with that shown by Trump is the way forward. Getting the wave of women out to vote was a great start. Now build on it.
    And contrasts with McConnell's partisan, destructive style.
    By the way, I don't see how either Pelosi or McConnell are prisoners of their bases. Seems like they are as they have been for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    The chance of that happening is zero. He will nominate another Kavanaugh, only cleaner (one can only hope.) You'll now have six very conservative justices. Your hope of Roberts being a moderating voice would be overruled by the other five.
    Will a very conservative right USSC galvanize moderates against Republicans?
    We´ll see. He has no real ideology but he does want to keep his base happy so you are probably right. Still, he´s unpredictable, but just when he will be unpredictable is hard to predict.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    And contrasts with McConnell's partisan, destructive style.
    By the way, I don't see how either Pelosi or McConnell are prisoners of their bases. Seems like they are as they have been for decades.
    They´re partisans. That´s their job as legislative party leaders. BTW, McConnell is no more partisan or ¨destructive¨ than any other Senate Majority Leader I´ve ever seen. Schumer, for example. They all infuriate people of the other party.

--Yeats

Trump is a dumpster fire and totally unfit to be president. The GOP sold its soul for two justices and a tax bill.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Trump is a dumpster fire and totally unfit to be president. The GOP sold its soul for two justices and a tax bill.
    He got elected. We can’t pretend otherwise. As for the GOP’s “soul,” applying collective responsibility is as unfair and illogical as it always has been.

--Yeats

Wink

Props to SNL for doing this:

--Yeats

He got elected. We can’t pretend otherwise. As for the GOP’s “soul,” applying collective responsibility is as unfair and illogical as it always has been.
    I agree. It didn't seem like the GOP was really rooting for him to be nominated.

Props to SNL for doing this:
    That's cool for Crenshaw to roll with it.

I agree, the judge was right.

Trump Appointee Judge Rules for CNN. Good.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...nn-jim-acosta/

--Yeats

I agree, the judge was right.

Trump Appointee Judge Rules for CNN. Good.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...nn-jim-acosta/
    I also believed that judges would be more than rubber stamps for those who appointed them. Something that seems to be lost on the right who believe in this system of "activist judges".

Holy cow. There is going rogue, and then there is George Conway. He has courage, no doubt.

George Conway on why he withdrew from consideration for a job at DOJ: "I'm watching this thing and you know it's like, the administration is like a shit show in a dumpster fire… I realized this guy is going to be at war with the Justice Department." https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-conway-republican-party-become-personality-cult-trump-130234835.html?soc_src=newsroom&soc_trk=com.apple. UIKit.activity.PostToTwitter&.tsrc=newsroom …

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I also believed that judges would be more than rubber stamps for those who appointed them. Something that seems to be lost on the right who believe in this system of "activist judges".
    Lawyers, myself included, are sometimes required to take legitimate but extreme positions in advocating on behalf of clients. You spin the facts and the law in the light most favorable to your clients position. However, once you take the bench your job is different and I believe most judges strive to make decisions that are supported by the law. I can't remember who posted this, but I seem to recall that it was stated that Kavanaugh and Garland agreed on 90% of the cases they decided.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Lawyers, myself included, are sometimes required to take legitimate but extreme positions in advocating on behalf of clients. You spin the facts and the law in the light most favorable to your clients position. However, once you take the bench your job is different and I believe most judges strive to make decisions that are supported by the law. I can't remember who posted this, but I seem to recall that it was stated that Kavanaugh and Garland agreed on 90% of the cases they decided.
    Every now and then I serve as the hearing officer/arbitrator in an administrative hearing. I agree with you. In those situations it is impossible for me not to feel the weight of responsibility to be fair, and I try very hard, regardless of my feelings about the case or the attorneys on either side. I think that’s the way any attorney with integrity approaches a role like that.

--Yeats

With the GOP wipeout in California, might a rebuilt Golden State Republican party help lead the GOP out of the toxicity of Trump-style Republicanism?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ebacle-1000481

The Democratic hegemony in California will inevitably weaken as politics can't solve all problems for everyone, and the GOP will get a shot to get back into the picture.

Or does this move us closer to the nation pulling apart, the creation of Pacifica?

My preferences is Mitt Romney and others (Mueller?) help repudiate Trumpism and get us back to arguing policy.

With the GOP wipeout in California, might a rebuilt Golden State Republican party help lead the GOP out of the toxicity of Trump-style Republicanism?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ebacle-1000481

The Democratic hegemony in California will inevitably weaken as politics can't solve all problems for everyone, and the GOP will get a shot to get back into the picture.

Or does this move us closer to the nation pulling apart, the creation of Pacifica?

My preferences is Mitt Romney and others (Mueller?) help repudiate Trumpism and get us back to arguing policy.
    It’s a registration/demographic shift. It’s not that Republicans are doing things wrong, it’s that they’d have to stop being recognizable as even moderate Republicans to get elected. It’s Utah in reverse. And one result of that is that districts are gerrymandered even worse in CA than in Utah. (I supported Prop 4 in the latest Utah election. People should have a voice in their government.)

--Yeats

So Trump visits the Camp fire area in California and clearly has no clue what is happening and why. He added that he was surprised to see images of firefighters removing dried brush near a fire. "This should have been all raked out."

Are you kidding me. Over 140,000 acres should be raked out. We were just up in the Napa area and the grass is dead and the trees are dying due to lack of water. Who is going to rake it out? Trump is simply an idiot.

This seemed pretty accurate:

“There is no message. There is no messenger. There is no money. And there is no infrastructure.”

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    So Trump visits the Camp fire area in California and clearly has no clue what is happening and why. He added that he was surprised to see images of firefighters removing dried brush near a fire. "This should have been all raked out."

Are you kidding me. Over 140,000 acres should be raked out. We were just up in the Napa area and the grass is dead and the trees are dying due to lack of water. Who is going to rake it out? Trump is simply an idiot.