Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    From my point of view, there is no point where it's permissible to treat others poorly. I've certainly broken that rule myself, but I don't feel good or justified about it.

The two arguments I've seen attempting to justify this:

(1) We've always had incivility. _______________ was uncivil (recently or 200 years ago). Why, then, should we be civil?

and

(2) There's never been a more grotesque president, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Basically, we need to fight fire with fire.

I don't find either argument compelling, but I tend to see things from a christian point of view. Even from a strategic/political point of view, however, the restaurant owner hurt her own cause. She'd have served her cause (which is a good cause, I think) better by just giving that women her dinner.
    I also try to be civil. I admit, however, that I sometimes respond to uncivil or borish behavior with similar behavior. I try to avoid putting myself in those situations and that is why I do not attend Utah games at BYU.

I like this tweet:

Should/will we start treating people in person the way we treat them online? Is it inevitable that we become what we are online?

And this is a big part of the current problem.

https://mashable.com/2016/03/12/trum.../#jzeo.RRmriqd

I liked the point-counterpoint video in this story (disregard the Washington Post headline):

Trump Country, it turns out, is more tolerant than the left

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I liked the point-counterpoint video in this story (disregard the Washington Post headline):

Trump Country, it turns out, is more tolerant than the left

It's a false equivalency to compare a few interrupted lunches with this type of thing that happens all the time.