Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233
Results 961 to 986 of 986

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

  1. #961
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,960
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree. It's unbelievable. I would quit my job with la migra before doing what they are doing. If I were the governor of Texas, I would arrest immigration officials and force a showdown.

    LA and others (do we have others on this board?), I wonder if you ever consider leaving the GOP like George Will did. What's keeping you in there?
    I’m not leaving just because one idiot affiliated with the party became president. The party is bigger than, and means more than, whoever holds the office of POTUS.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  2. #962
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m not leaving just because one idiot affiliated with the party became president. The party is bigger than, and means more than, whoever holds the office of POTUS.
    Just curious. I don't really understand why people belong to political parties. There are serious issues with both parties, and the GOP's issues go well beyond the one idiot in the white house. From the outside, there appear to be a lot of people in the party who support the president.

  3. #963
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I believe those who promulgate and support this policy, either directly or indirectly, will be held accountable. I am disappointed by the silence of religious leaders, especially my own.
    Here's the LDS statement:

    https://www.ldschurchnews.com/latest...igration-47390

  4. #964
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Just curious. I don't really understand why people belong to political parties. There are serious issues with both parties, and the GOP's issues go well beyond the one idiot in the white house. From the outside, there appear to be a lot of people in the party who support the president.
    I think the republicans support him because he has power and is likely to push their individual agendas not because they like or agree with him. The second he loses some significant popularity they'll turn on him in a New York minute.

    This is a more extreme example than intended and I'm not calling Trump Stalin, but just like in WW2 the allies worked with Stalin, not because they agreed with him but because we shared a common enemy. That's the relationship Trump has with most of the Republican Party. It isn't a sustainable model either.

    Conversely the significant leadership vacuum with the Democrats - which is not dissimilar to the one the Republicans had that lead to Trump becoming president - may produce and equally, if not more unqualified presidential candidate, the kind that'll make us all wish Bernie Sanders was their guy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #965
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I think the republicans support him because he has power and is likely to push their individual agendas not because they like or agree with him. The second he loses some significant popularity they'll turn on him in a New York minute.
    Does this make them better or worse? Is there a line that cannot be passed before they turn on him? Separating children from their parents and putting the children into a cage in Texas does not cross that line.

  6. #966
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Does this make them better or worse? Is there a line that cannot be passed before they turn on him? Separating children from their parents and putting the children into a cage in Texas does not cross that line.
    When I comes to politics today, I'd say basically no. The line that is crossed is the one that won't get them re-elected. At this point it is up to we the people to make clear to our politicians that we won't tolerate it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #967
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    ……..I don't really understand why people belong to political parties.......

    In Utah, if you want to caucus with the republicans/libertarians and select a delegate (or be a delegate), you must be a registered republican/libertarian. IOW, if you want to have influence in the party, you need to be registered with the party. This isn't true for the democratic party, nor is it necessarily true for other states.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  8. #968
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    In Utah, if you want to caucus with the republicans/libertarians and select a delegate (or be a delegate), you must be a registered republican/libertarian. IOW, if you want to have influence in the party, you need to be registered with the party. This isn't true for the democratic party, nor is it necessarily true for other states.
    Thanks. It's not true in Colorado where I live. I can understand a desire to make positive changes from within. I would rather not belong to an organization I think is harmful, but I can understand.

    Can someone register with both parties in order to caucus with both?

  9. #969
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Thanks. It's not true in Colorado where I live. I can understand a desire to make positive changes from within. I would rather not belong to an organization I think is harmful, but I can understand.

    Can someone register with both parties in order to caucus with both?
    Nope.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #970
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,960
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Just curious. I don't really understand why people belong to political parties. There are serious issues with both parties, and the GOP's issues go well beyond the one idiot in the white house. From the outside, there appear to be a lot of people in the party who support the president.
    For me it’s just a matter of aligning myself with the party that most fits my own political views. I have never been active in the GOP as a party officer. I think the Republicans deserve the term “the stupid party.” I’m also fairly moderate and it’s hard to find a place among the true believers these days. (In California I am considered a rock-ribbed conservative; in Utah I am seen as a squish.) Dems are much better at sticking together and playing clever politics. I pick candidates who I think are good people and who will try to advance positions I support, although like everyone I know I don’t agree with every pol about everything. I will support such candidates, sometimes by giving money or asking friends to give money, usually by telling my friends to support the candidate, etc. I worked hard for Carly Fiorina against Boxer in 2010, for Romney both times he ran, and for Rubio in 2016. As people who like to be involved go I am pretty typical, I think.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  11. #971
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,015
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    In Utah, if you want to caucus with the republicans/libertarians and select a delegate (or be a delegate), you must be a registered republican/libertarian. IOW, if you want to have influence in the party, you need to be registered with the party. This isn't true for the democratic party, nor is it necessarily true for other states.
    Although it is apparently ridiculously easy to register for a party. You can go to the Utah election website and click a checkbox. So I think you can flip back and forth fairly easily.

  12. #972
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,015
    The mental gymnastics people are going through to support this immigration policy are depressively impressive. I really don't know how to respond to some of these people.

  13. #973
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,960
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The mental gymnastics people are going through to support this immigration policy are depressively impressive. I really don't know how to respond to some of these people.
    This is pretty good:

    https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ake-seriously/

    It’s from National Review which is always conservative, but this guy has a very intelligent view.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  14. #974
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It’s from National Review which is always conservative, but this guy has a very intelligent view.
    It's alright, I guess. Nothing new, and no proposals. It's just not the right time for a conservative to make a call for both sides to sit down and work out an intelligent compromise on immigration.

    This article could have been written 1, 2, 5, or 10 years ago, but we are in a crisis now. You don't just write another ho-hum article on how immigration is complicated in the middle of a crisis. Liberal writers are obviously going to be loud and critical right now. The real need is for conservative writers and news sources to be equally loud and critical.

  15. #975
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,960
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's alright, I guess. Nothing new, and no proposals. It's just not the right time for a conservative to make a call for both sides to sit down and work out an intelligent compromise on immigration.

    This article could have been written 1, 2, 5, or 10 years ago, but we are in a crisis now. You don't just write another ho-hum article on how immigration is complicated in the middle of a crisis. Liberal writers are obviously going to be loud and critical right now. The real need is for conservative writers and news sources to be equally loud and critical.
    I see it differently. He slams those who are trying to invent euphemisms for putting children in cages and says the situation is horrible. Then he steps back and takes a longer view.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  16. #976
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,015
    Well, it seems that Trump is now doing something about the thing he did that he said he couldn't do anything about.

    Jeff Sessions will have to consult a different part of the bible. Maybe he should do New Testament this time.

    The real news is that Kirstjen Nielson will be allowed to eat in Mexican restaurants again.

  17. #977
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Well, it seems that Trump is now doing something about the thing he did that he said he couldn't do anything about.
    I am glad.

  18. #978
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,960
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The real news is that Kirstjen Nielson will be allowed to eat in Mexican restaurants again.
    Don’t be too sure about that. The people who shouted her out of her meal are not the type who think past sins should be forgotten.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  19. #979
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Well, it seems that Trump is now doing something about the thing he did that he said he couldn't do anything about.

    Jeff Sessions will have to consult a different part of the bible. Maybe he should do New Testament this time.

    The real news is that Kirstjen Nielson will be allowed to eat in Mexican restaurants again.
    So I wonder what Kirstjen Nielson thinks now, after Trump completely capitulates on a policy that she fell on the sword and went out to a press conference to defend to the death three days ago and became the public face of it, after Sarah Huckabee Sanders refused to it, after John Kelly advised Kirstjen not to do it, after she opposed the policy internally before it was announced, and after Trump repeatedly berated her in cabinet meetings for being a Bushie and not doing enough to protect the border.

  20. #980
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    So I wonder what Kirstjen Nielson thinks now,
    What did she expect, though? This was a clear loser of a position. Did she ever think she would come out looking anything but bad?

  21. #981
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What did she expect, though? This was a clear loser of a position. Did she ever think she would come out looking anything but bad?

    if I had to guess, she was hoping she would bond with Trump and win his confidence by being a hardliner; thought they would tough it out and she would come out ahead with Trump.

  22. #982
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    ... I worked hard for Carly Fiorina against Boxer in 2010, for Romney both times he ran, and for Rubio in 2016...
    Maybe some day you will pick a winner

  23. #983
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,960
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Maybe some day you will pick a winner
    G.W. Bush. Both times.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  24. #984
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,015
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    G.W. Bush. Both times.
    And the Utes! Don't forget that!

  25. #985
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    G.W. Bush. Both times.
    He only won once.
    I can't believe how much better G Dub looks today. The Republican Party just keeps lowering the bar.

  26. #986
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree. It's unbelievable. I would quit my job with la migra before doing what they are doing. If I were the governor of Texas, I would arrest immigration officials and force a showdown.

    LA and others (do we have others on this board?), I wonder if you ever consider leaving the GOP like George Will did. What's keeping you in there?
    The GOP left me -- or rather, the indication was rather strong in 2012 that I was not wanted in the party.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •