Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Elizabeth Warren releases results of DNA test - looks like she is correct in asserting Native American ancestry: https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...SVO/story.html

On the specific issue, this won't change the minds of partisans, but it bolster's Warren's stand-up-to-the-bully credentials, and besides creating a cottage industry of DNA deniers, it will prompt the Trump tribe to look elsewhere for ammunition, ie, she is a "shrill", "angry woman", etc.

More than anything, this does signal that Warren is seriously considering a run. She doesn't have the baggage Hillary had, but in terms of who would be a first woman president (from the Dem tribe) I still think the nation needs some calm, rational leadership in the mold of Amy Klobuchar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Elizabeth Warren releases results of DNA test - looks like she is correct in asserting Native American ancestry: https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...SVO/story.html

On the specific issue, this won't change the minds of partisans, but it bolster's Warren's stand-up-to-the-bully credentials, and besides creating a cottage industry of DNA deniers, it will prompt the Trump tribe to look elsewhere for ammunition, ie, she is a "shrill", "angry woman", etc.

More than anything, this does signal that Warren is seriously considering a run. She doesn't have the baggage Hillary had, but in terms of who would be a first woman president (from the Dem tribe) I still think the nation needs some calm, rational leadership in the mold of Amy Klobuchar.
    These women both seem fine as far as political lifers from ivy league colleges go. Nothing special, but not disastrous. One would hope that we could do better, but one also knows we could do much worse. I don't think Klobuchar will run. Or, if she runs, I don't think she would secure the nomination. Just not famous/flashy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

I think Trump's attacks on her with this are childish and disgraceful but the test also says she has a Native American in her ancestry from 6-10 generations back, most probably 8. That would make her 1/128th Native American at best and 1/512th most probably.

I'm actually 1/128th Native American as well according to DNA tests and genealogical records.

I'll bet many on this board can likely claim a similar pedigree.

I would never claim to be Native American as she has on her professional bio in the past. I don't think this bolsters her claim like she thinks it does.

I fear with all of the candidates who are coming out of the woodwork that they are assuring Trump a second term. I don't view Warren or Biden as people who will get people to rally and cross the aisle. Amy Klobuchar would be preferable to those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I think Trump's attacks on her with this are childish and disgraceful but the test also says she has a Native American in her ancestry from 6-10 generations back, most probably 8. That would make her 1/128th Native American at best and 1/512th most probably.

I'm actually 1/128th Native American as well according to DNA tests and genealogical records.

I'll bet many on this board can likely claim a similar pedigree.

I would never claim to be Native American as she has on her professional bio in the past. I don't think this bolsters her claim like she thinks it does.

I fear with all of the candidates who are coming out of the woodwork that they are assuring Trump a second term. I don't view Warren or Biden as people who will get people to rally and cross the aisle. Amy Klobuchar would be preferable to those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My wife is 1/64th Native American and looks like Warren (blonde, blue-eyed). We have joked from time to time that she and our kids should try to benefit from that in some affirmative action manner, but we never got beyond joking about it. This news (1) proves Trump is a boor (dog bites man) and (2) still makes Warren look silly.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-15-2018 at 09:38 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My wife is 1/64th Native American and looks like Warren (blonde, blue-eyed). We have joked from time to time that she and our kids should try to benefit from that in some affirmative action manner, but we never got beyond joking about it. This news (1) proves Trump is a boor (dog bites man) and (2) still makes Warren look silly.

Not only that, but your wife hasn't tried to monetize it.

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...014-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Amy Klobuchar would be preferable to those two.
    Sure, she's like Kasich.