Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Comey is a boy scout who is pretty clumsy... but he is a straight shooter.
    I don’t know about this. In my estimation Comey is often “too clever by half,“ as one of my law professors used to say. That’s why both liberals and conservatives distrust him. Also, leaking classified documents through an intermediary (Columbia Law school professor) is not acceptable behavior from the FBI Director, in my opinion.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-22-2018 at 10:25 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don’t know about this. In my estimation Comey is often “too clever by half,“ as one of my law professors used to say. That’s why both liberals and conservatives distrust him. Also, leaking classified documents through an intermediary (Columbia Law school professor) is not acceptable behavior from the FBI Director, in my opinion.
    It's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of disdain for the truth:

"For we have seen and know that this is the best choice both in life and after death. A man must take with him into the world below an adamantine faith in truth and right, that there too he may be undazzled by the desire of wealth or the other allurements of evil, lest, coming upon tyrannies and similar villainies, he do irremediable wrongs to others and suffer yet worse himself; but let him know how to choose the mean and avoid the extremes on either side, as far as possible, not only in this life but in all that which is to come. For this is the way of happiness."—Plato (The Republic)

I think he really bought into Reagan's yarn about "if both sides are upset with me, I must be about right".

Part of his eagle scout ethos is he probably felt the weight of being the Director of the FBI and felt an obligation to make things "fair", which is why he clumsily announced re-opening the Hillary email investigation, and why after the election he got a sense of just how much of a tyrant Trump naturally is, so he leaked to the Columbia Prof. (I definitely wouldn't want that job, and don't know how good his law school classmate Amy Klobochar would have done. History on Comey will be mixed, at best, I think.)

I think there's some truth in the "Deep State" conspiracy, for completely understandable reasons. The folks involved in Deep State are far more cognizant of what's going on than most/just about all Americans, and I think it's only natural (even "patriotic") for them to try to help steer the nation back toward safer waters, or at least away from a collision with the rocks.

We agree Comey wasn't the best FBI Director. But the consistency in his accounts tell me the guy is honest, even if he's a dunce.

The playbook for Cohen.

https://qz.com/1256340/michael-cohen...-can-flip-him/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I think he really bought into Reagan's yarn about "if both sides are upset with me, I must be about right".

Part of his eagle scout ethos is he probably felt the weight of being the Director of the FBI and felt an obligation to make things "fair", which is why he clumsily announced re-opening the Hillary email investigation, and why after the election he got a sense of just how much of a tyrant Trump naturally is, so he leaked to the Columbia Prof. (I definitely wouldn't want that job, and don't know how good his law school classmate Amy Klobochar would have done. History on Comey will be mixed, at best, I think.)

I think there's some truth in the "Deep State" conspiracy, for completely understandable reasons. The folks involved in Deep State are far more cognizant of what's going on than most/just about all Americans, and I think it's only natural (even "patriotic") for them to try to help steer the nation back toward safer waters, or at least away from a collision with the rocks.

We agree Comey wasn't the best FBI Director. But the consistency in his accounts tell me the guy is honest, even if he's a dunce.
    I think Comey is far from a dunce. A somewhat interesting aside is that among the FBI agents I ride bikes with they all respect Comey immensely and most don't think much of Mueller, not for Mueller's integrity but how he ran the FBI. But these are people who worked under and directly with both, file that however you want.

But, I think that almost universal respect from those people for Comey, along with some of the things they have speculated about when I've asked questions about him and these speculations bearing out once in the light of day has made him one of the most interesting people in all of this.

By his own admission he could have done some things differently but that is also out of the fog of what was going on at the time. He was a man repeatedly put in an impossible place time and time again by unscrupulous people around him.

In his "town hall meeting" with Anderson Cooper on CNN last night Comey added some info about the leaked memos. Many have claimed he broke the law by leaking classified info to his friend and that is based on a Fox report that he leaked 4 memos.

Others have noted that the info that came out from his friend was consistent with what was in the unclassified memo and that memo was 4 pages and some reporter along the way changed that to 4 memos. Comey asserted he only gave the substance of that one memo to his friend in that town hall meeting. So I think the chance of him being guilty of a crime is extremely low and has likely already been verified with his friend.

HRC can point to his announcement as swinging the election away from her but it is important to note that nobody investigating the email server issue has ever claimed that she did not do it, nor what she did wasn't wrong, rather it wasn't prosecutable. Fact is she did compromise some classified info (and her aid was even sending that stuff to her boyfriend's computer - think about that for a minute) and so still in the end she is ultimately at fault for her failed bid.

I still subscribe to the "only honest man in town" notion about him.

Comey isn't the worst FBI Director in history, not even close... J Edgar Hoover??? Yeah...

Last edited by Rocker Ute; 04-26-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I think Comey is far from a dunce. A somewhat interesting aside is that among the FBI agents I ride bikes with they all respect Comey immensely and most don't think much of Mueller, not for Mueller's integrity but how he ran the FBI. But these are people who worked under and directly with both, file that however you want.

But, I think that almost universal respect from those people for Comey, along with some of the things they have speculated about when I've asked questions about him and these speculations bearing out once in the light of day has made him one of the most interesting people in all of this.

By his own admission he could have done some things differently but that is also out of the fog of what was going on at the time. He was a man repeatedly put in an impossible place time and time again by unscrupulous people around him.

In his "town hall meeting" with Anderson Cooper on CNN last night Comey added some info about the leaked memos. Many have claimed he broke the law by leaking classified info to his friend and that is based on a Fox report that he leaked 4 memos.

Others have noted that the info that came out from his friend was consistent with what was in the unclassified memo and that memo was 4 pages and some reporter along the way changed that to 4 memos. Comey asserted he only gave the substance of that one memo to his friend in that town hall meeting. So I think the chance of him being guilty of a crime is extremely low and has likely already been verified with his friend.

HRC can point to his announcement as swinging the election away from her but it is important to note that nobody investigating the email server issue has ever claimed that she did not do it, nor what she did wasn't wrong, rather it wasn't prosecutable. Fact is she did compromise some classified info (and her aid was even sending that stuff to her boyfriend's computer - think about that for a minute) and so still in the end she is ultimately at fault for her failed bid.

I still subscribe to the "only honest man in town" motion about him.

Comey isn't the worst FBI Director in history, not even close... J Edgar Hoover??? Yeah...

Hoover probably has a file on Comey....

The latest from Jon McNaughton, entitled “Teach A Man to Fish.”

🙄

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Trumps hands seem too big
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I've stared at this for 45 minutes and can't for the life of me find Satan Obama. A little help?!?!

Also, I hope they're using one of Trump's boats because they're about to do some MFing deep sea fishing with that rod.

I love John McNaughton... but I've got to ask, where is the accompanying explanation that he likes to provide with his paintings? I have a hard time trying to understand what he is driving at and need some direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I've stared at this for 45 minutes and can't for the life of me find Satan Obama. A little help?!?!

Also, I hope they're using one of Trump's boats because they're about to do some MFing deep sea fishing with that rod.

For versimilitude, shouldn't McNaughten paint Trump teaching a man to fish at one of the Trump University Classes? I think "Teaching a Man to Fish" was on the syllabus.

I love that the setting out in a glen (with no sand trap or "Trump" logo in sight) echoes so many of the paintings of Joseph Smith's vision. Comparing the world's greatest grifter to Jesus takes some cajones.
    Last edited by concerned; 04-26-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Trump can’t help but hurt himself every time he talks.

First all the talk that Cohen “won’t flip”, which makes you wonder if Cohen didn’t have any sort, how could he flip in the first place?

Now he says Cohen did very little work for him, which only helps the prosecutor argue that there is no concern for attorney/client privilege and they don’t need a taint team to comb through things.

He really can’t help himself. What an idiot. This is the guy who is going to make Assad and Kim give up WMD?

North and South Korea agree to formally end the war and to "complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula". Of course NK has pretended to do this before go stave off sanctions, but presuming the best, who gets credit for this? Seems South Korea's President Moon and his people have done the leg work.

As an aside, a kid in my ward is serving in Korea and when all the hysteria was going on with Kim Jong Un and Trump and threats of nuclear strife he reported that life was completely normal there. The craziness we witnessed with KJU is apparently completely commonplace and they've been witnessing threats like for decades. While we were freaking out they viewed it as much ado over nothing.

We know who will be taking credit for this, and maybe his childish rants spoke to another diseased mind, but just remember that when it comes to people like this, as quickly as things settle down they can rev right back up.

Now Un can tell South Korea that they don't need the US there anymore and can they please leave.

Another view. I haven’t seriously followed the Korea story so I don’t know who gets credit for any progress.

How Trump’s ‘Maximum Pressure’ Strategy Got North Korea to the Table

http://observer.com/2018/03/how-dona...clear-weapons/

I am pretty skeptical that North Korea will ever take any actions in good faith as long as they have their current leadership.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-27-2018 at 01:32 PM.

--Yeats

Another view. I haven’t seriously followed the Korea story so I don’t know who gets credit for any progress.

How Trump’s ‘Maximum Pressure’ Strategy Got North Korea to the Table

http://observer.com/2018/03/how-dona...clear-weapons/

I am pretty skeptical that North Korea will ever take any actions in good faith as long as they have their current leadership.
    Part of me wonders if NK realizes they have an ego maniac in Trump who will be so quick to take credit he won’t bother to vet anything...thus letting the countries guard down in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Part of me wonders if NK realizes they have an ego maniac in Trump who will be so quick to take credit he won’t bother to vet anything...thus letting the countries guard down in the process.
    I bet you'll accuse me of defending or supporting Trump for saying this, but I don't see how anyone can say Trump had nothing to do with the seemingly historic developments in Korea right now.

--Yeats

I bet you'll accuse me of defending or supporting Trump for saying this, but I don't see how anyone can say Trump had nothing to do with the seemingly historic developments in Korea right now.
    I mean, he was involved, sure. But Dennis Rodman is the next Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I mean, he was involved, sure. But Dennis Rodman is the next Nobel Peace Prize winner.
    Don't underestimate the impact of this groundbreaking film:

--Yeats

I think he did, but his actions were equally likely to provoke escalation too. My guess is the sanctions are the big motivator, not the threat of his big button.

This has the earmarks of a great Lifetime TV show in the future.

THIS HAPPENED: Trump’s Attorney Gets into Tiff With Trump’s Attorney’s Attorney in Court

I guess this belongs in this thread:

Michelle Wolf's White House Correspondents' Dinner remarks condemned by WHCA president

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...lev/563835002/

Her biggest crime was she just wasn't funny. The Huckabee Sanders jokes weren't jokes, they were especially mean spirited semi-coherent commentary. As for the rest of her bit, I am bewildered how she even manages to find employment as a comedian.

To be clear, I despise Trump and have no problem with criticism of Huckabee Sanders; she is willful in her deceit. But Wolf's 'commentary' missed the mark badly. I'm embarrassed for her.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I guess this belongs in this thread:

Michelle Wolf's White House Correspondents' Dinner remarks condemned by WHCA president

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...lev/563835002/

Her biggest crime was she just wasn't funny. The Huckabee Sanders jokes weren't jokes, they were especially mean spirited semi-coherent commentary. As for the rest of her bit, I am bewildered how she even manages to find employment as a comedian.

To be clear, I despise Trump and have no problem with criticism of Huckabee Sanders; she is willful in her deceit. But Wolf's 'commentary' missed the mark badly. I'm embarrassed for her.
    I love how the right has suddenly turned into the proverbial snowflakes they complain about so much.

Which joke of hers did you find particularly "mean spirited" at a roast?

I'm not suggesting she said anything untrue, but they certainly were not jokes. Compared to past years, especially last years performance by Hasan Minhaj, Wolf's 'commentary' was disjointed and lacked coherence. The most poignant thing she said was at the very end regarding Flint.

She was simply NOT funny. Therefore I have to ask: what the hades was the point of her bit?
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-30-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I'm not suggesting she said anything untrue, but they certainly were not jokes. Compared to past years, especially last years performance by Hasan Minhaj, Wolf's 'commentary' was disjointed and lacked coherence. The most poignant thing she said was at the very end regarding Flint.

She was simply NOT funny. Therefore I have to ask: what the hades was the point of her bit?
    I haven't seen it so I can't comment on her funny factor.

Two contrasting views:

Michelle Wolf’s performance at the White House correspondents’ dinner: What a fail

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.02921f65353f

This one is not pro-Trump, despite its title:

The news media just handed Trump a big win

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.7ac4a1dbed5d
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-30-2018 at 02:29 PM.

--Yeats

I have never heard of Michelle Wolf until now.
    I'm guessing a lot of people are in the same boat.

Mission accomplished.

I've only heard snippets of what she said. Sounds like she was trying to make a point by saying things that Trump would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have never heard of Michelle Wolf until now.
    I'm guessing a lot of people are in the same boat.

Mission accomplished.

I've only heard snippets of what she said. Sounds like she was trying to make a point by saying things that Trump would say.
    I watched the whole thing and I would describe it as vulgar and uncouth. Colbert destroyed GWB in the same event years ago and could still shake his hand. A roast is a roast, but if you are familiar with things like Dean Martin's celebrity roasts and even presidential roasts of the past it was coming from a place of friendship. This was not that.

It was suited for a comedy special and much worse things have been said in those sort of things, and I'm no fan of Trump but it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    A roast is a roast, but if you are familiar with things like Dean Martin's celebrity roasts and even presidential roasts of the past it was coming from a place of friendship.
    A roast is something a best man does at a wedding. If all parties, including the target, are not happy, then it's not a successful roast.

Like Brian, I had never heard of this person before. So she got what she needed out of it.

The politics of outrage is exhausting, and I'm not even a participant.