Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't think I can find common ground with anyone who condones, justify or excuses Trump's policy of separating children from parents whose sole criminal charge is attempting to enter the country illegally. I believe the policy is inhumane, barbaric and amounts to holding children hostage to Trump's demand for funding for his wall and other immigration policies. If children are of special import to God, I believe those who promulgate and support this policy, either directly or indirectly, will be held accountable. I am disappointed by the silence of religious leaders, especially my own.
    I agree. It's unbelievable. I would quit my job with la migra before doing what they are doing. If I were the governor of Texas, I would arrest immigration officials and force a showdown.

LA and others (do we have others on this board?), I wonder if you ever consider leaving the GOP like George Will did. What's keeping you in there?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree. It's unbelievable. I would quit my job with la migra before doing what they are doing. If I were the governor of Texas, I would arrest immigration officials and force a showdown.

LA and others (do we have others on this board?), I wonder if you ever consider leaving the GOP like George Will did. What's keeping you in there?
    I’m not leaving just because one idiot affiliated with the party became president. The party is bigger than, and means more than, whoever holds the office of POTUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m not leaving just because one idiot affiliated with the party became president. The party is bigger than, and means more than, whoever holds the office of POTUS.
    Just curious. I don't really understand why people belong to political parties. There are serious issues with both parties, and the GOP's issues go well beyond the one idiot in the white house. From the outside, there appear to be a lot of people in the party who support the president.

Just curious. I don't really understand why people belong to political parties. There are serious issues with both parties, and the GOP's issues go well beyond the one idiot in the white house. From the outside, there appear to be a lot of people in the party who support the president.
    I think the republicans support him because he has power and is likely to push their individual agendas not because they like or agree with him. The second he loses some significant popularity they'll turn on him in a New York minute.

This is a more extreme example than intended and I'm not calling Trump Stalin, but just like in WW2 the allies worked with Stalin, not because they agreed with him but because we shared a common enemy. That's the relationship Trump has with most of the Republican Party. It isn't a sustainable model either.

Conversely the significant leadership vacuum with the Democrats - which is not dissimilar to the one the Republicans had that lead to Trump becoming president - may produce and equally, if not more unqualified presidential candidate, the kind that'll make us all wish Bernie Sanders was their guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I think the republicans support him because he has power and is likely to push their individual agendas not because they like or agree with him. The second he loses some significant popularity they'll turn on him in a New York minute.
    Does this make them better or worse? Is there a line that cannot be passed before they turn on him? Separating children from their parents and putting the children into a cage in Texas does not cross that line.

Does this make them better or worse? Is there a line that cannot be passed before they turn on him? Separating children from their parents and putting the children into a cage in Texas does not cross that line.
    When I comes to politics today, I'd say basically no. The line that is crossed is the one that won't get them re-elected. At this point it is up to we the people to make clear to our politicians that we won't tolerate it.

……..I don't really understand why people belong to political parties.......

In Utah, if you want to caucus with the republicans/libertarians and select a delegate (or be a delegate), you must be a registered republican/libertarian. IOW, if you want to have influence in the party, you need to be registered with the party. This isn't true for the democratic party, nor is it necessarily true for other states.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    In Utah, if you want to caucus with the republicans/libertarians and select a delegate (or be a delegate), you must be a registered republican/libertarian. IOW, if you want to have influence in the party, you need to be registered with the party. This isn't true for the democratic party, nor is it necessarily true for other states.
    Thanks. It's not true in Colorado where I live. I can understand a desire to make positive changes from within. I would rather not belong to an organization I think is harmful, but I can understand.

Can someone register with both parties in order to caucus with both?

Thanks. It's not true in Colorado where I live. I can understand a desire to make positive changes from within. I would rather not belong to an organization I think is harmful, but I can understand.

Can someone register with both parties in order to caucus with both?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Although it is apparently ridiculously easy to register for a party. You can go to the Utah election website and click a checkbox. So I think you can flip back and forth fairly easily.

The mental gymnastics people are going through to support this immigration policy are depressively impressive. I really don't know how to respond to some of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The mental gymnastics people are going through to support this immigration policy are depressively impressive. I really don't know how to respond to some of these people.
    This is pretty good:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ake-seriously/

It’s from National Review which is always conservative, but this guy has a very intelligent view.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

For me it’s just a matter of aligning myself with the party that most fits my own political views. I have never been active in the GOP as a party officer. I think the Republicans deserve the term “the stupid party.” I’m also fairly moderate and it’s hard to find a place among the true believers these days. (In California I am considered a rock-ribbed conservative; in Utah I am seen as a squish.) Dems are much better at sticking together and playing clever politics. I pick candidates who I think are good people and who will try to advance positions I support, although like everyone I know I don’t agree with every pol about everything. I will support such candidates, sometimes by giving money or asking friends to give money, usually by telling my friends to support the candidate, etc. I worked hard for Carly Fiorina against Boxer in 2010, for Romney both times he ran, and for Rubio in 2016. As people who like to be involved go I am pretty typical, I think.

--Yeats

... I worked hard for Carly Fiorina against Boxer in 2010, for Romney both times he ran, and for Rubio in 2016...
    Maybe some day you will pick a winner

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Maybe some day you will pick a winner
    G.W. Bush. Both times.

--Yeats

G.W. Bush. Both times.
    And the Utes! Don't forget that!

The GOP left me -- or rather, the indication was rather strong in 2012 that I was not wanted in the party.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant