Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hope and believe that I would say this even if a Democrat were in the White House. Trump is a terrible person, but whoever wrote that op-ed is an abject coward.
    The mosaic coming together is of mainstream Republicans coming to serve in the Trump Administration, only to find he's not really a Republican, has no interest to learn about the complexities of issues or even the separation of powers in the Constitution, is dangerously erratic and puts the nation at risk.

(One of the earliest examples of "resistance" was the AF General describing how they're "clarifying" when an "illegal" nuclear strike order can be "resisted". Think of the background that led to that public admission.)

Boiling down the possible candidates, use of the term "lodestar" seems to suggest Pence, but I think it's Dan Coats, who's also from Indiana (where that term is apparently more widely used), and was moved to this extraordinary action by reflecting on his good friend McCain's life of sacrifice and putting the nation before own interests. At age 75, what does Coats want to leave behind for his progeny? Knowledge that he was part of all this? Or that he took action to mitigate the insanity?

The depth and breadth of issues go far beyond a table-pounder bully CEO, undermined by disgruntled insiders.

My sense is Coats will come out, either be fired or resign, and the chorus of alarming accounts will wear on Republicans who've held their noses to get SCOTUS picks, regulation rollbacks and tax cuts. At some point they better veer away from Trump, or risk a nation where more & more people mimic the leader, with disastrous results.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-06-2018 at 07:33 AM.