Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1675

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m trolling you all with this:

Trump Will Be the First President to Support Gay Marriage from the Beginning

https://web.archive.org/web/20170322...age-beginning/

But is it really trolling if it’s true?
    Have to acknowledge it, with a caveat-what will his judicial nominees do with gay rights in general, particularly with the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and what will the DOJ's position be in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Have to acknowledge it, with a caveat-what will his judicial nominees do with gay rights in general, particularly with the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and what will the DOJ's position be in those cases.
    That is a fair question.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

What the news media and progressive pundits were saying about Michael Avenatti very recently:

https://freebeacon.com/politics/that...-the-republic/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Michael Avenatti appeared on CNN and MSNBC over 120 times last year. Just noting this fact.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-24-2019 at 07:50 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Michael Avenatti appeared on CNN and MSNBC over 120 times last year. Just noting this fact.
    Oh, it's no doubt he's an attention seeker.

All lawyers are.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Oh, it's no doubt he's an attention seeker.

All lawyers are.

You’re right. I’m just envious.

--Yeats

Transcript of Attorney General Barr’s CBS interview.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/william...ve-2019-05-31/

--Yeats

--Yeats

China has presented problems for awhile. IP theft, opaque markets for foreign companies to work in, the South China Sea, etc.

Obama was using US soft power, in extending the TPP started under Bush, as well as naval freedom of navigation exercises, with Asian-Pacific nations almost universally supportive. The whole idea was getting China to pivot from being an insular export driven economy, to emerging as a major power operating more within international norms. The progress was slow, but steady, and many nations joined the TPP, as China protested.

Trump has taken a much more aggressive approach, of course. We're out of the TPP, and engaged in a tariff war with the Chinese, with both sides issuing bellicose threats.

How the Asian-Pacific nations see things is an interesting barometer of how Trump's approach is being viewed, and more broadly, how that part of the world is reacting to both China's rise and under Trump, America's changing leadership "style" and perceived withdrawal from the international community. (Paris, TPP, animosity toward NATO and the EU, etc.)

Specifically around the Huawei issue, it looks like nations in the area are resisting the Trump hardline, but they're also being cautious about how to avoid being subject to China's security apparatus as irresistible 5G technology and pricing are making it very tough to ignore.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-kneecap-china

For the past year there has been discussion about "de-coupling" the US & Chinese economies. With the Huawei issue now clearly a potential catalyst, the US is trying to get other nations to pick sides, and may extend that to economic ties, in general. The problem with this is the Chinese economy is far more integrated with other economies in the Asian-Pac region: Japan, Australia, Indonesia, increasingly even India. When the US tariffs went up against China, the Chinese dropped their tariffs with a broad range of countries, especially their neighbors.

Prodding other nations to choose sides in an economic de-coupling may very well backfire on the US:
    https://www.axios.com/us-and-chinese...c1af9f92a.html

Trump's trade war in fact is entrenching China further in other Asian economies. The integration of the rest of Asia "with China is accelerating,"

John Bolton citing the Monroe Doctrine in trying to ouster Maduro in Venezuela is spectacularly ignorant of the existing and growing Chinese presence in Latin America, where crucial infrastructure development is helping those nations' economies substantially. Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Jamaica, Brazil, Ecuador are just the ones who come to mind.

As we've been ignoring our back yard, antagonizing both of our immediate neighbors, Central American nations and Caribbean "s-hole" countries, China has been quietly cultivating ties and improving the economies of nations in our neighborhood.

We live in a fascinating time.

This is stupid. Two wrongs don’t make a right, as my dad used to say.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/0...-strike-again/

--Yeats

I hope next time he has the chance to meet with the Prince of Sharks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trump's lies make him look stupid or inept. He was going to war with Iran until he was told about the death toll? I would expect any President would get a full briefing on everything prior to making a decision to go to war. One of those everything's at the top of the list would be the death toll. Either he was never contemplating going to war and this was another effort to make him look like a hero (my personal belief) or he failed to read whatever briefing he received because he is too lazy or I am not sure what the other or's are. I just finished watching Chernobyl, which was great. At the end, the lead character talks about lies and how they create a debt to the truth, a debt that one day must be paid. It certainly worked that worked that was with the nuclear reactor and Chernobyl. I'm not sure that it will ever work that way with the mountain of lies that come out of Trump and to be fair, most other politicians as well.

From Politico:

‘Everyone hates this place’: Border bill tears apart Democratic caucus

The four-day whiplash battle proved Pelosi, who often describes herself as a ‘master negotiator,’ is not invincible.

By HEATHER CAYGLE, SARAH FERRIS and ANDREW DESIDERIO
    06/27/2019 07:36 PM EDT
    Updated 06/28/2019 09:38 AM EDT

Democrats broke into open warfare Thursday over Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s surrender to the Senate’s emergency border aid package, with the caucus’ long-simmering divide between progressives and centrists playing out in dramatic fashion on the House floor.

Some lawmakers even resorted to public name-calling, with progressive leader Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.) accusing moderate Democrats of favoring child abuse — an exchange on Twitter that prompted two freshmen centrists to confront him directly on the floor, with other lawmakers looking on in shock.

Pelosi has spent months deftly navigating a diverse caucus brimming with political novices, deeply split on ideological lines and itching to throw the president out of office. But this week’s fiasco exposed fissures in Pelosi’s rank-and-file, in her leadership and in her relationship with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)....
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ocrats-1386116

--Yeats

No one here will be shocked to learn that I think he’s right.

Which brings us to the Achilles’ heel of this impeachment if the goal is to bring along a broad public: Democrats’ and the media’s astonishing and studied obliviousness to the bonfire they made of their own credibility with the Russia hoax. Unless I miss my guess, even many Trump-skeptical voters have no interest in giving victory to so corrupt an opposition. An irony is that many of these voters would probably make an exception for Mr. Biden, in whom they have a hard time seeing the kind of fanatically careerist sleaziness that motivates Adam Schiff. (Indeed, Mr. Biden keeps stepping in it with his base by saying nice things about various GOP colleagues.)

Let’s briefly touch on a few other points. The universal pretense that persons in authority (who aren’t Mr. Trump) know what they’re doing plays a role here. The media would have you believe Mr. Trump’s bureaucratic enemies are uniformly competent, disinterested and patriotic.

Secondly, I’ve come to regret referring to journalism as a profession. It’s clearly an industry given to “driving the numbers” with the trope du jour. Exceptions are as likely to be found on the left as the right. T.A. Frank of Vanity Fair, Glenn Greenwald of the Intercept, the Nation’s Aaron Maté and Rolling Stone’s Matt Taibbi are all writers on the left who knew the Russia collusion story was a fraud and said so for years.

Though I don’t expect to see it, one thing might yet transform our national dilemma: if Mr. Biden, in response to a reporter asking an interesting question for a change, lent his support to the Justice Department’s John Durham investigation into the Steele dossier and other troubling 2016 questions. The 2020 race then would become a shockingly different election from the one we’re now slated to get. The one we’re slated to get, unfortunately, is an all-out war of two sides that fundamentally reject each other’s legitimacy.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-wro...&mod=djemMER_h

--Yeats

Here's a different slant on the culture of dishonesty in the Trump administration: the economic impact.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/b...gtype=Homepage

This editorial offers no new perspectives or ideas, but I liked it anyway: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/o...gtype=Homepage

Trump supporters would disagree with me, but I feel like the upper echelon of the military has not looked as good as it does now since WWII. Kelly, H.R. McMaster, Mattis, John Taylor, Vinland and others are demonstrating their integrity and sense of duty and loyalty to their country in ways they never would have imagined when they entered the military. And they're being attacked by a thoroughly immoral narcissist and conservative Republicans.

I flipped between Fox News and CNN for their post impeachment coverage last night. Both were equally embarrassing in their pandering to their customer base. I tire of it. Its unwatchable and cringe-worthy. I hope future generations are smarter than we are and simply want facts not distorted biased opinions on each and every piece of information.

Reading Fox News vs reading CNN is like getting all your sports information from either UFn or Cougarboard: it seems like there are two different realities being projected.

fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I flipped between Fox News and CNN for their post impeachment coverage last night. Both were equally embarrassing in their pandering to their customer base. I tire of it. Its unwatchable and cringe-worthy. I hope future generations are smarter than we are and simply want facts not distorted biased opinions on each and every piece of information.
    That’s not likely to happen unless something changes.

Current trends are for the youngest generation to not do their own research, but instead rely on someone (or something like Alexa) to provide it for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But, I also believe that they tend to use many more sources for reference rather than just one TV channel.

So, they'll ask Alexa or Google for information on a topic, then skim 20 different sources

RIP to my favorite two presidential candidates: Cory Booker and Michael Bennett. I guess it's Klobuchar time.

Whatever happened to that Starbucks dude who was going to run?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    RIP to my favorite two presidential candidates: Cory Booker and Michael Bennett. I guess it's Klobuchar time.

Whatever happened to that Starbucks dude who was going to run?
    Don't sleep on Buttigieg. Sure, he's only 26, but I like him!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Don't sleep on Buttigieg. Sure, he's only 26, but I like him!
    He's on my list! They're all on the list. In 2016, I felt good about voting for Alex Smith, knowing that my vote doesn't matter in Colorado. In 2020, I think I need to vote against Donald Trump just to feel good about myself.

Behind the Ukraine Aid Freeze: 84 Days of Conflict and Confusion

Interviews with dozens of current and former administration officials, congressional aides and others, previously undisclosed emails and documents, and a close reading of thousands of pages of impeachment testimony provide the most complete account yet of the 84 days from when Mr. Trump first inquired about the money to his decision in September to relent.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/behind-the-ukraine-aid-freeze-84-days-of-conflict-and-confusion/ar-BBYrot7?ocid=sf
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant