Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The AP English teacher both concerned and I had in high school.....

So you had Scanlan......some of us didn't peak in high school.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    So you had Scanlan......some of us didn't peak in high school.

LA Ute seems to be saying he hasn't engaged in any critical thinking since Dr. Scanland.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    LA Ute seems to be saying he hasn't engaged in any critical thinking since Dr. Scanland.
    I adored her. She is one of those teachers who left a lasting impression. So did Hugh Rush, Caroline Miner, and Lew Webster (despite his lazy approach to AP History). God bless them all.

BTW, I think Dr. S. would like us to spell her name right:

Obituary: Sylvia Bellamy Scandland

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I adored her. She is one of those teachers who left a lasting impression. So did Hugh Rush, Caroline Miner, and Lew Webster (despite his lazy approach to AP History). God bless them all.

BTW, I think Dr. S. would like us to spell her name right:

Obituary: Sylvia Bellamy Scandland
    I actually thought i learned more from Lew Webster than Dr. Scandland, even though both he and Brimley were extremely lazy, because of all the papers we had to write. That was great preparation for college, and not one of my kids ever had a teacher who made them write research papers outside of class, really. It is too much work to grade.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I actually thought i learned more from Lew Webster than Dr. Scandland, even though both he and Brimley were extremely lazy, because of all the papers we had to write. That was great preparation for college, and not one of my kids ever had a teacher who made them write research papers outside of class, really. It is too much work to grade.
    True. I learned a lot too. I recall writing most of my AP History papers on Sunday nights. (I did do reading during the week. At least I think I did.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

how many times has this been quoted or cited this weekend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYabrQrXt4A