Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1420

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

With the GOP wipeout in California, might a rebuilt Golden State Republican party help lead the GOP out of the toxicity of Trump-style Republicanism?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ebacle-1000481

The Democratic hegemony in California will inevitably weaken as politics can't solve all problems for everyone, and the GOP will get a shot to get back into the picture.

Or does this move us closer to the nation pulling apart, the creation of Pacifica?

My preferences is Mitt Romney and others (Mueller?) help repudiate Trumpism and get us back to arguing policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    With the GOP wipeout in California, might a rebuilt Golden State Republican party help lead the GOP out of the toxicity of Trump-style Republicanism?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ebacle-1000481

The Democratic hegemony in California will inevitably weaken as politics can't solve all problems for everyone, and the GOP will get a shot to get back into the picture.

Or does this move us closer to the nation pulling apart, the creation of Pacifica?

My preferences is Mitt Romney and others (Mueller?) help repudiate Trumpism and get us back to arguing policy.
    It’s a registration/demographic shift. It’s not that Republicans are doing things wrong, it’s that they’d have to stop being recognizable as even moderate Republicans to get elected. It’s Utah in reverse. And one result of that is that districts are gerrymandered even worse in CA than in Utah. (I supported Prop 4 in the latest Utah election. People should have a voice in their government.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

So Trump visits the Camp fire area in California and clearly has no clue what is happening and why. He added that he was surprised to see images of firefighters removing dried brush near a fire. "This should have been all raked out."

Are you kidding me. Over 140,000 acres should be raked out. We were just up in the Napa area and the grass is dead and the trees are dying due to lack of water. Who is going to rake it out? Trump is simply an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    This seemed pretty accurate:

“There is no message. There is no messenger. There is no money. And there is no infrastructure.”

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    So Trump visits the Camp fire area in California and clearly has no clue what is happening and why. He added that he was surprised to see images of firefighters removing dried brush near a fire. "This should have been all raked out."

Are you kidding me. Over 140,000 acres should be raked out. We were just up in the Napa area and the grass is dead and the trees are dying due to lack of water. Who is going to rake it out? Trump is simply an idiot.

Jim Treacher:

In six short years, [Democrats have] all gone from “Hurr hurr, Romney is stuck in ’80s” to “OMG, my phone charger is missing, Putin stole it!” It’s just odd to me that they think Obama took care of this guy, and yet he stole an election right from under Obama’s nose.

Doublethink is your best entertainment value.
    Good point.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/vladimi...his-blog-post/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Trump’s claim of poor California forest management rings true — to a degree

“A century of mismanaging Sierra Nevada forests has brought an unprecedented environmental catastrophe that impacts all Californians.” That’s not a tweet from President Trump, but the opening line of a February report by California’s Little Hoover Commission investigating fire danger in the state.

“The immediate crisis is visible to anyone who has traveled recently in the Sierra Nevada, especially in its southern range where mountainsides are brown with dying and dead forests,” Commission Chairman Pedro Nava wrote in the cover letter for “Fire on the Mountain,” an 82-page report on the tinderbox nature of the state’s forests....
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...t-13400503.php

--Yeats

Cards Against Humanity bought a chunk of land adjacent to where the infamous wall would go, and then anyone who donated $15 was deeded a chunk of the land making eminent domain claims excruciatingly time consuming.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/cards-agai...all/1605903901

https://cardsagainsthumanitystopsthewall.com/

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Cards Against Humanity bought a chunk of land adjacent to where the infamous wall would go, and then anyone who donated $15 was deeded a chunk of the land making eminent domain claims excruciatingly time consuming.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/cards-agai...all/1605903901

https://cardsagainsthumanitystopsthewall.com/
    Super funny until we realize politicians don’t care about spending money, and it just means less services for more important areas.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He got elected. We can’t pretend otherwise. As for the GOP’s “soul,” applying collective responsibility is as unfair and illogical as it always has been.
    Have you read Bob Woodward's latest book? I stand by my first sentence. As for the second, it is not applied to every Republican -- that would be the fallacy of composition (or division, I have trouble keeping those straight) -- but rather to those who embraced him so quickly and happily.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant