Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Flynn to plead guilty for lying to the FBI about his contact with Russian ambassador.

This article points out how this sets up some interesting questions about what Flynn lied about. It points out that the things he lied about are pretty innocous, so that begs the question: why lie about them?

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...s-box-in-trump

Possibly because of this:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mi...rticle/2642282
    It’s going to be fascinating to watch. Several possibilities:

1. He’s another Scooter Libby and the prosecutors are just going to move on now. I doubt this is the case. It would mean they couldn’t get a conviction on the crime they were out to prosecute, but they caught him in a lie during their interviews with him and got him for that. This happens all the time. People are stupid and don’t want to admit to anything embarrassing, so they tell white lies or shade the truth, and it comes back to bite them big-time. Here, I think Flynn had counsel throughout the process so maybe that’s not what happened here. (He may have tried to talk to the FBI alone, early on, thinking he could make this go away. Common error.)

2. He is making a deal with the prosecutors in exchange for his testimony against another subject or target of the investigation. This is also very common — a standard approach by the feds to such matters. It’s also the one that has Democrats hyperventilating.

3. The news report you link to makes it clear that someone with an agenda is leaking information. It’s probably not Fynn’s people because he looks like a snitch and I doubt he wants that. I guess some of the prosecutors just couldn’t contain themselves. If so, I have no respect for them. Lawyers have to keep secrets.

I can see it now. Trump is impeached or resigns, Pence pardons him, and Joe Biden is elected in 2020, despite millions of YouTube views of him being all over that woman who was the wife of an Obama appointee. Biden runs with Al Franken, who by then has converted to Christianity and has represented and been absolved by the Rev. Wright, Obama’s jettisoned pastor. The country moves forward.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The OnionVerified account @TheOnion 20m20 minutes agoMore

White House Begins Christmas Season With Ceremonial Lighting Of Cross https://trib.al/oyqFICe

26 replies627 retweets2,387 likes
    Retweet

Liked
    Direct message

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I can see it now. Trump is impeached or resigns, Pence pardons him, and Joe Biden is elected in 2020, despite millions of YouTube views of him being all over that woman who was the wife of an Obama appointee. Biden runs with Al Franken, who by then has converted to Christianity and has represented and been absolved by the Rev. Wright, Obama’s jettisoned pastor. The country moves forward.
    When in Rome?

Seriously, I think the demographics on the left are more complex. There are plenty of Dems who are genuinely religious, but they don't wear it on their sleeve so much. And the quickest growing religious group in America, the "Nones", would see Franken becoming religious as a sign of weakness (at best) or cynical pandering.

It may be getting closer to the time for Mueller to have a fatal, untraceable heart attack and die. I really, really, really hope not, but that would resolve Trump's biggest threat: "Russia, Russia, Russia".

We haven't gone there yet in American politics, but... I wouldn't be shocked if we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    When in Rome?

Seriously, I think the demographics on the left are more complex. There are plenty of Dems who are genuinely religious, but they don't wear it on their sleeve so much. And the quickest growing religious group in America, the "Nones", would see Franken becoming religious as a sign of weakness (at best) or cynical pandering.

It may be getting closer to the time for Mueller to have a fatal, untraceable heart attack and die. I really, really, really hope not, but that would resolve Trump's biggest threat: "Russia, Russia, Russia".

We haven't gone there yet in American politics, but... I wouldn't be shocked if we did.
    The one thing that has kept me from freaking out about all things Trump is the fact that he isn't a psychopath on the level of Putin or Kim Jong Un.

If that changes, we're in deep doo-doo

The one thing that has kept me from freaking out about all things Trump is the fact that he isn't a psychopath on the level of Putin or Kim Jong Un.

The problems with psychopaths is most of the time you don't really know they are until the murderous rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The problems with psychopaths is most of the time you don't really know they are until the murderous rampage.
    That’s what I keep telling my co-workers about myself. I’m just not sure when it might happen, so I want them to be careful.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I don't think Trump is a full blown psychopath, but his nailing the NPD diagnosis is pretty clear.

Here's a hypothetical question - if the Russia thing ends up taking Trump down, how much of his antics in office to this point were all a big diversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    how much of his antics in office to this point were all a big diversion?
    None. That's just who he is.