Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1675

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Compare these headlines. Good example of why so many people, in accordance with their political preferences, are skeptical of the news media and pay no attention to certain news outlets. This is one way people end up living in a bubble.

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-28-2018 at 04:11 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

What would MAGAites, particularly those who are middle to lower class, respond to this editorial if it was in the WSJ or laid out on Fox News? I'm afraid of the answer.
    I've tried to stop reading political commentary/news until after the election, when we can get a feel for where the country is. FYI, Ross Douthit says Republicans should vote for Republican senators and Democrat house members. To him, a split Congress is is best result for Republicans right now.
    (Impressed with how well I'm avoiding politics?)

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Compare these headlines. Good example of why so many people, in accordance with their political preferences, are skeptical of the news media and pay no attention to certain news outlets. This is one way people end up living in a bubble.

True enemies of the People!

This new movement to revoke the 14th Amendment via executive order is an interesting twist into authoritarianism

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ht-citizenship

Every day it is something new and outrageous that comes out of his mouth and we continue to be distracted by it.

I used to think Trump was an idiot, but as soon as the heat turns up on him he'll start a new flurry of this stuff to distract the public from his real problems and unfortunately the media goes right along with it. I bet you could chart it and see just that, and so I'm convinced it is intentional.

The latest and most damning problem is his fraudulent tax schemes. How in the world does nobody seem to care about this?

Or maybe people do pay attention and are working quietly to get at least the House out of Republican control. A latest poll shows McAdams 6 points ahead of Mia Love. That is pretty astounding to me, considering the gerrymandering done to ensure that district was always a Republican seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 10-30-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this about Trump:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...t-lead-vpx.cnn

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Every day it is something new and outrageous that comes out of his mouth and we continue to be distracted by it.

I used to think Trump was an idiot, but as soon as the heat turns up on him he'll start a new flurry of this stuff to distract the public from his real problem and unfortunately the media goes right along with it. I bet you could chart it and see just that and so I'm convinced it is intentional.

The latest and most damning problem is his fraudulent tax schemes. How in the world does nobody seem to care about this?

Or maybe people do pay attention and are working quietly to get at least the House our of Republican control. A latest poll shows McAdams 6 points ahead of Mia Love. That is pretty astounding to me, considering the gerrymandering done to ensure that district was always a Republican seat.

FiveThirtyEight still has McAdams and Love a tossup. Which is still impressive. This district would be Republican by 20% in a normal year.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com.../house/utah/4/
    Last edited by U-Ute; 10-30-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this about Trump:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...t-lead-vpx.cnn

The “anchor babies” executive order he’s reportedly thinking about is another great example. That will consume all the air in the room for a few days as people everywhere (especially the news media) goes nuts about it. Meanwhile, his base will be shouting hallelujah. But I bet he’ll never follow through. (I’m skeptical about his Constitutional authority to do that anyway. &#129300

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    True enemies of the People!
    And you are clearly a fellow-traveler with them. We have our eyes on you.

--Yeats

David French, being reasonable:

It’s Time to Calm Down about the Caravan

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...unwCy53dvjU9qQ

--Yeats

Calm and reason?

We can't have such nonsense.

What has happened to you? When I posted something from Frum a month or two ago you said you no longer read him b/c he is not a conservative (or something like that). Then you post something the other day. Now French. If you post Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, George Will, I will believe you really have turned a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What has happened to you? When I posted something from Frum a month or two ago you said you no longer read him b/c he is not a conservative (or something like that). Then you post something the other day. Now French. If you post Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, George Will, I will believe you really have turned a corner.
    I know David French. He's a principled conservative. Not at all like the others on your list.

Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, and George Will are all pundits in vogue with liberals because they are attacking not only Trump, but the GOP, and they're urging actions that will, if taken, promote liberal policy and power goals (e.g., Will urging votes against Republicans -- catnip for liberals!).

Max Boot: Has gone off the deep end. A never-Trumper who's lost his mind.
    Jennifer Rubin: Ditto. Not even a conservative anymore. Insufferably shrill, too.
    Rick Wilson: I don't know who he is.
    Michael Gerson: Good, principled guy. Not as extreme as the others.
    George Will: Has become a little old lady, and a bitter one at that. He's the guy who called George H.W. Bush a "lap dog." I'm sure liberals loved that too.

The moment any one of these folks wanders back into the conservative fold, libs will attack them.

--Yeats

I know David French. He's a principled conservative. Not at all like the others on your list.

Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, and George Will are all pundits in vogue with liberals because they are attacking not only Trump, but the GOP, and they're urging actions that will, if taken, promote liberal policy and power goals (e.g., Will urging votes against Republicans -- catnip for liberals!).

Max Boot: Has gone off the deep end. A never-Trumper who's lost his mind.
    Jennifer Rubin: Ditto. Not even a conservative anymore. Insufferably shrill, too.
    Rick Wilson: I don't know who he is.
    Michael Gerson: Good, principled guy. Not as extreme as the others.
    George Will: Has become a little old lady, and a bitter one at that. He's the guy who called George H.W. Bush a "lap dog." I'm sure liberals loved that too.

The moment any one of these folks wanders back into the conservative fold, libs will attack them.
    I love the litmus test: anybody who disagrees with you is no longer conservative, no longer principled, and has wandered off. Of course, they all would say it is you and Trump who has wandered off, and that they are still true to Reagan.

I love the litmus test: anybody who disagrees with you is no longer conservative, no longer principled, and has wandered off. Of course, they all would say it is you and Trump who has wandered off, and that they are still true to Reagan.
    Well played. But my problem with them is that they're willing to throw conservative policy goals under the bus just because they hate Trump. I don't think they are unprincipled. Some are conservative (not Rubin, who seems to have lost her mind; Boot is a neocon). I'd rather have Trump in the Oval Office than H. Clinton, as long as we have institutions that can trammel him sufficiently. (I think we do.) To me this is all a matter of the clear lesser of two evils.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You are wrong, though. He is damaging this country is unusual, perhaps irreparable ways. She would have just damaged it in the traditional ways.

Never trump conservatives like Will are taking the long view. It's worth sacrificing a few election cycles to prevent the complete corruption of conservative values.

Exactly. Well put.

Plus I think it likely that Clinton would have been mostly benign as pres. She touted all these legislative programs that would have been DOA in Congress. she would have continued Obama's policies for the most part: kept us in the Iran deal, TPP, Paris Climate Accord, NAFTA, etc. She would not have picked fights with our allies or NATO, and would have stood up to Putin (which is why he wanted Trump). Would not have had tariffs or tax cuts (on this scale, anyway). Much different environmental policies, and would have kept Obamacare. Would have been deadlock for four more years, with Merrick Garland types on the court.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You are wrong, though. He is damaging this country is unusual, perhaps irreparable ways. She would have just damaged it in the traditional ways.

Never trump conservatives like Will are taking the long view. It's worth sacrificing a few election cycles to prevent the complete corruption of conservative values.
    A 5-4 or 6-3 activist liberal majority on the Supreme Court could easily change the USA for many election cycles. Your grandchildren would be living in the country they'd create. Remember, I didn't vote for Trump. I'm just saying that on balsnce we're better off with him as president. It's painful for me to say that. I'd trade him for almost any of the other Republicans who ran (not Rand Paul or Cruz). I wouldn't trade him for Hillary Clinton.

--Yeats

A 5-4 or 6-3 activist liberal majority on the Supreme Court could easily change the USA for many election cycles. Your grandchildren would be living in the country they'd create. Remember, I didn't vote for Trump. I'm just saying that on balsnce we're better off with him as president. It's painful for me to say that. I'd trade him for almost any of the other Republicans who ran (not Rand Paul or Cruz). I wouldn't trade him for Hillary Clinton.
    You would have had moderate justices, because that would be who could be confirmed. If mc'Connell allowed any vote during her four years, which he threatened he might not do. Moderate far superior to rigid left or right imho. You underestimate the damage Trump is doing to the fabric of the country, or you just look the other way.

You would have had moderate justices, because that would be who could be confirmed. If mc'Connell allowed any vote during her four years, which he threatened he might not do. Moderate far superior to rigid left or right imho. You underestimate the damage Trump is doing to the fabric of the country, or you just look the other way.
    At this point I shall need to start calling you names.

Seriously, what you're complaining about is not a Trump problem, it's a political one. Rubio, Cruz, J. Bush, et al. would have appointed justices just like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. Wouldn't you agree?

--Yeats

At this point I shall need to start calling you names.

Seriously, what you're complaining about is not a Trump problem, it's a political one. Rubio, Cruz, J. Bush, et al. would have appointed justices just like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. Wouldn't you agree?
    Of course. My point was that if Clinton were president you would get more moderate justices, which would be a good thing.

Of course. My point was that if Clinton were president you would get more moderate justices, which would be a good thing.
    Moderately left of center. There’s no reason to believe the Clinton appointees would not be 100% predictable votes on any ideological issue, just as the current 4 liberals are, moderate or not. Filling the Scalia and Kennedy seats with even Merrick Garland types would have changed the direction of SCOTUS jurisprudence for decades.

--Yeats

Moderately left of center. There’s no reason to believe the Clinton appointees would not be 100% predictable votes on any ideological issue, just as the current 4 liberals are, moderate or not. Filling the Scalia and Kennedy seats with even Merrick Garland types would have changed the direction of SCOTUS jurisprudence for decades.
    Clearly, you would disagree with this, from another conservative (or maybe not any longer)

"...Dignity for all human beings, equality under the law, respect for dissent, love of truth. These are the things we are losing under this president, and no policy is worth that price." – @BariWeiss

You are practically saying that Trump shooting somebody on 5th Avenue is better than the alternative, so long as you get Gorsuch and Kavenaugh. And that you are OK with that because you didnt vote for him.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-03-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Clearly, you would disagree with this, from another conservative (or maybe not any longer)

"...Dignity for all human beings, equality under the law, respect for dissent, love of truth. These are the things we are losing under this president, and no policy is worth that price." – @BariWeiss

You are practically saying that Trump shooting somebody on 5th Avenue is better than the alternative, so long as you get Gorsuch and Kavenaugh. And that you are OK with that because you didnt vote for him.
    I am realist, or at least trying to be one.

EDIT: I just re-read the Weiss quote. Respect for dissent? Really? Has the left been a champion of respecting dissent and opposing points of view? Has Weiss been living in a cave?

Equality under the law? Among Trump’s many sins I don’t see him removing that value.

Love of truth? Oh please. The party that nominated Hillary Rodham Clinton and whose members are devastated that she was not elected now mourns the lost love of truth? (By the way, what did the country lose while her husband was president? Anything? Does Weiss lament those losses?)

As I said, I’m a realist. Trump won the election. I can’t pretend he didn’t. I hope for the best, and that policies I support become reality. If he shoots someone on 5th Avenue I’ll buy you dinner.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-03-2018 at 03:47 PM.

--Yeats

1 of the 5 mockees is a Democrat. The candidate they're mocking for having an eye patch is Dan Crenshaw, a former Navy SEAL wounded in Afghanistan:

On Dan’s third deployment in 2012, his life changed forever. After six months of combat operations, Dan was hit by an IED blast during a mission in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was evacuated and awoke from his medically induced coma learning that his right eye had been destroyed in the blast and his left eye was still present, but badly damaged. Dan was completely blind and the doctors did not believe he would ever see again. Tara stood by him every day and night, keeping faith and praying he would see again. After several difficult surgeries, he eventually regained sight in his left eye, a miracle according to the head surgeon. Dan refused to quit and went on to deploy twice more, first back to the Middle East in 2014 and then South Korea in 2016.
    https://crenshawforcongress.com/about/

The audience loved it, however. This is all Trump's fault, of course.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.

--Yeats

Here's a Republican who's managed to throw off Trump's Svengali-like control and be a magnanimous human being:

In a tour de civility, Rep. Carlos Curbelo met with a 19-year-old who threatened to kill him and forgave him.

Curbelo, a Florida Republican, appeared at a joint news conference on Thursday with Pierre Alejandro Verges-Castro, whom the congressman said had fallen “into the trap of violent political speech and hateful expression” but did not plan to actually follow through on his threat, the Miami Herald reported. . . .

Standing alongside Verges-Castro on Thursday, Curbelo said the man had apologized to him for the tweet and that he did not want it to “ruin” Verges-Castro’s life.

“I’m pretty sure he had no idea how serious what he had done was,” Curbelo said. “He does now. I’m grateful to him for being willing to not just learn a lesson himself, but to stand with me here today and to share what has been a difficult experience.”

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/show-civility-curbelo-meets-teen-threatened-kill

There may be hope for humanity.

--Yeats

Thought-provoking op-ed, much of which I find persuasive:

Election results 2018: Forget the blue wave and behold the purple puddle

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1906702002/

--Yeats

I know better but I started reading some comments on sltrib.com on an article about Ben McAdams and Mia Love and I'm astounded by some of the racist comments there and their seeming approval from others. Calling her Omarosa, telling her to rub her lucky chicken feet together and more.

I continue to be astounded at how much power tribalism has over purported principles.

A take from the left side, by Rahm Emanuel:

The New Metropolitan Majority

If Democrats want to build a durable coalition, they will need to shift their approach, building ties between voters in cities and those in the suburbs that surround them.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...jority/574966/

The the extent either party adopts a less tribal approach, that’s a good thing.

I am hoping that without the Freedom Caucus in the way, sensible immigration reform is possible now, as well as needed fixes to the ACA. That will depend on whether Trump moves into deal-maker mode. We saw some good bipartisan legislation enacted when Reagan and Clinton had to deal with a House controlled by the opposite party.

--Yeats

A really solid podcast on the duopoly of modern politics, and why it is working exactly like people want.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/politics-industry/

Jeff Sessions out.

Chaos in.