Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1675

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    LA, you need to reserve strong words like "disaster as a leader" for situations that truly deserve them. Otherwise, you have no adequate descriptions when the true disaster happens.
    Well, I said "He was a disaster as a leader, in terms of getting things done."

I also think that blaming Congress is just an excuse. He was just as intransigent as they were. He started off his first term by pointedly telling the Republican leadership "Elections have consequences. I won." Can you imagine Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, or Bush II saying such a thing to the leaders of the opposing party?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

(The following is satire.)

Man Who Intentionally Divided Nation For Eight Years Calls For Unity

https://babylonbee.com/news/man-who-...lls-for-unity/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    (The following is satire.)
    Man Who Intentionally Divided Nation For Eight Years Calls For Unity

https://babylonbee.com/news/man-who-...lls-for-unity/
    Until I saw your small type comment and the related articles underneath, I thought this was an actual story. I understand the claims that Obama carefully stoked divisions and pushed identity politics, though I don't agree with them. There is some truth to the talk of the 1%ers and other economically based arguments being divisive. Trump's playing to White Supremacists is a whole different ballgame.

Well, I said "He was a disaster as a leader, in terms of getting things done."

I also think that blaming Congress is just an excuse. He was just as intransigent as they were. He started off his first term by pointedly telling the Republican leadership "Elections have consequences. I won." Can you imagine Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, or Bush II saying such a thing to the leaders of the opposing party?
    How can you say Obama was just as intransigent/bad when Republicans didn't even give him an opportunity for bipartisanship, and publicly stated that was their intent? What did the Republicans do with his bipartisan attempts on immigration? Where was his intransigence, other than a single statement? What was that statement made in relation to? Passing healthcare legislation, which Republicans were going to take no part in?

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    How can you say Obama was just as intransigent/bad when Republicans didn't even give him an opportunity for bipartisanship, and publicly stated that was their intent? What did the Republicans do with his bipartisan attempts on immigration? Where was his intransigence, other than a single statement? What was that statement made in relation to? Passing healthcare legislation, which Republicans were going to take no part in?
    C'mon you really are oblivious to 8 years of divisive rhetoric coming from Obama? LA never claimed republicans in Congress weren't guilty of the same but you are about Obama. If you can't recognize it, you never will.

His speech this week was par for the course of his presidency, Republicans blocked but he never attempted to reach across the aisle either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    C'mon you really are oblivious to 8 years of divisive rhetoric coming from Obama? LA never claimed republicans in Congress weren't guilty of the same but you are about Obama. If you can't recognize it, you never will.

His speech this week was par for the course of his presidency, Republicans blocked but he never attempted to reach across the aisle either.

I guess you didn't read my post right below that one.
    So his speech at the U of Illinois was filled with divisive rhetoric?
    "assailing his successor as a “threat to our democracy” and a demagogue practicing the “politics of fear and resentment.”" "Threat to our democracy" may be overblown. Trump practicing the politics of fear and resentment divisive? I'd say its accurate.
    “None of this is conservative,” Mr. Obama told an auditorium of students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “I don’t mean to pretend I’m channeling Abraham Lincoln now, but that’s not what he had in mind, I think, when he helped form the Republican Party. It’s not conservative. It sure isn’t normal. It’s radical. It’s a vision that says the protection of our power and those who back us is all that matters even when it hurts the country.” Divisive rhetoric? He's obviously not taking a shot at conservatives or Republicans. Divisive or a legitimate, arguable point?
    “It did not start with Donald Trump,” he told the college students on Friday. “He is a symptom, not the cause. He’s just capitalizing on resentments that politicians have been fanning for years, a fear and anger that’s rooted in our past, but it’s also born out of the enormous upheavals that have taken place in your brief lifetimes.” Divisive? He didn't limit the problem to conservatives.
    He also accused Mr. Trump of playing to bigots. “We’re supposed to stand up to discrimination,” he said. “And we’re sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?” Divisive? I'd say its accurate.
    “There are well-meaning folks passionate about social justice, who think things have gotten so bad, the lines have been so starkly drawn, that we have to fight fire with fire, we have to do the same things to the Republicans that they do to us, adopt their tactics, say whatever works, make up stuff about the other side,” he said. “I don’t agree with that.”

“It’s not because I’m soft,” he added. “It’s not because I’m interested in promoting an empty bipartisanship.” He said that “yelling at each other” would only further erode civic institutions and not appeal to voters. “We won’t win people over,” he said, “by calling them names, or dismissing entire chunks of the country as racist or sexist or homophobic.” Divisive?

I guess you didn't read my post right below that one.
    So his speech at the U of Illinois was filled with divisive rhetoric?
    "assailing his successor as a “threat to our democracy” and a demagogue practicing the “politics of fear and resentment.”" "Threat to our democracy" may be overblown. Trump practicing the politics of fear and resentment divisive? I'd say its accurate.
    “None of this is conservative,” Mr. Obama told an auditorium of students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “I don’t mean to pretend I’m channeling Abraham Lincoln now, but that’s not what he had in mind, I think, when he helped form the Republican Party. It’s not conservative. It sure isn’t normal. It’s radical. It’s a vision that says the protection of our power and those who back us is all that matters even when it hurts the country.” Divisive rhetoric? He's obviously not taking a shot at conservatives or Republicans. Divisive or a legitimate, arguable point?
    “It did not start with Donald Trump,” he told the college students on Friday. “He is a symptom, not the cause. He’s just capitalizing on resentments that politicians have been fanning for years, a fear and anger that’s rooted in our past, but it’s also born out of the enormous upheavals that have taken place in your brief lifetimes.” Divisive? He didn't limit the problem to conservatives.
    He also accused Mr. Trump of playing to bigots. “We’re supposed to stand up to discrimination,” he said. “And we’re sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?” Divisive? I'd say its accurate.
    “There are well-meaning folks passionate about social justice, who think things have gotten so bad, the lines have been so starkly drawn, that we have to fight fire with fire, we have to do the same things to the Republicans that they do to us, adopt their tactics, say whatever works, make up stuff about the other side,” he said. “I don’t agree with that.”

“It’s not because I’m soft,” he added. “It’s not because I’m interested in promoting an empty bipartisanship.” He said that “yelling at each other” would only further erode civic institutions and not appeal to voters. “We won’t win people over,” he said, “by calling them names, or dismissing entire chunks of the country as racist or sexist or homophobic.” Divisive?
    Look! You can select parts of a speech to paint the picture you want... and so can I:

"my administration couldn't reverse 40-year trends in only eight years, especially once Republicans took over the House of Representatives and decided to block everything we did, even things they used to support."

"But over the past few decades, the politics of division, of resentment and paranoia has unfortunately found a home in the Republican Party."

"What happened to the Republican Party? Its central organizing principle in foreign policy was the fight against Communism, and now they're cozying up to the former head of the KGB, actively blocking legislation that would defend our elections from Russian attack. What happened? "

Meh... I'm getting bored but if you really read the speech and think it is a unifying speech... you've got marbles in your head. And I don't disagree with what he says in a lot of instances but it is another in a long line of divisive speeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Look! You can select parts of a speech to paint the picture you want... and so can I:

"my administration couldn't reverse 40-year trends in only eight years, especially once Republicans took over the House of Representatives and decided to block everything we did, even things they used to support."

"But over the past few decades, the politics of division, of resentment and paranoia has unfortunately found a home in the Republican Party."

"What happened to the Republican Party? Its central organizing principle in foreign policy was the fight against Communism, and now they're cozying up to the former head of the KGB, actively blocking legislation that would defend our elections from Russian attack. What happened? "

Meh... I'm getting bored but if you really read the speech and think it is a unifying speech... you've got marbles in your head. And I don't disagree with what he says in a lot of instances but it is another in a long line of divisive speeches.

You're right. That's what I get for relying on the NYT for a summary of the speech. Not at all unifying. At the same time, I agree with him, but in these times comments limited to the Trump phenomenon would be best.

I gotta admit, I didn't think Manafort was going to flip at this point, thought he would ride it out longer, counting on a pardon. (I wonder if he's calculating that Trump may not be there to pardon him?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I gotta admit, I didn't think Manafort was going to flip at this point, thought he would ride it out longer, counting on a pardon. (I wonder if he's calculating that Trump may not be there to pardon him?)
    NPR: “Paul Manafort’s cooperation agreement with the special counsel does not include matters involving the Trump campaign, according to a person familiar with the case.”

But the comments to the above tweet suggest that NPR's source had it wrong.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-14-2018 at 01:52 PM.

--Yeats

There was a 538 Podcast about the Manafort situation where they discussed this very question. The conclusion they came to was that you can't say "I'll answer any questions about the Ukraine, but I won't talk about my time on the Trump campaign". It is a blanket cooperation agreement, which also means he can't plead the Fifth Amendment on anything.

There isn't necessarily an inconsistency between NPR's statement and the scope of the plea, if it is saying that preliminary discussions indicate he has little to offer on a charge of the campaign colluding with the Russians.

America, Land of Brutal Binaries

After a while, the crudest trigger points of tribalism — your race, your religion (or lack of it), your gender, your sexual orientation — dominate the public space. As Claire Lehmann, the founding editor of the refreshingly heterodox new website Quillette has put it, “the Woke Left has a moral hierarchy with white men at the bottom. The Alt-Right has a moral hierarchy that puts white men at the top.” The looming midterms will not be about health care or executive power or constitutional norms (although all these things will be at stake). They will primarily be about which tribe you are in, and these tribes are increasingly sorted racially and by gender. The parties are currently doing all they can to maximize these tribal conflicts as a way to seek power. This isn’t liberal democracy.
    -- Andrew Sullivan

--Yeats

Pew poll on the public’s trust in the news media:

“Most Americans also continue to think the news media favor one side when covering political and social issues. About two-thirds (68 percent) say this, compared with three-in-10 who say they deal fairly with all sides. And as in previous years, Republicans (86 percent) are far more likely than Democrats (52 percent) to say news organizations favor one side,” said the survey analysis.

Trust in the media is also miserably low, but not as bad as for social media. Said Pew, “While one-in-five Americans (21 percent) have a lot of trust in the information they get from national news organizations, that share is about five times as high as the portion that have a lot of trust in the information they get from social media sites (4 percent).”

“In what may be another indicator of trust levels, most Americans say they do not feel understood by or connected to news organizations. This sense of disconnectedness is stronger among Republicans than Democrats,” said Pew.

It added, “A little more than half of Americans (58 percent) do not feel like news organizations understand people like them, while four-in-ten say that they do feel understood. A similar portion of Americans (56 percent) do not feel particularly connected to their main sources of national news, whereas about four-in-ten (42 percent) say they do feel connected.”
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...21-trust-a-lot

--Yeats

Maybe there should be another thread once the election is done for the 2020 elections, but an early name that might help lead the nation out of our sharp divisions: Amy Klobuchar

From the Kavanaugh hearings, this high praise:

Josh Barro, a centrist pundit who writes for New York Magazine, has argued that Senate Democrats largely botched their questioning of Kavanaugh — save for Klobuchar. “Klobuchar has managed to become the one Dem on the judiciary committee who conservatives think was acting in good faith,”
    he tweeted
    , “while also getting a damaging answer out of Kavanaugh and acquitting herself well with Democrats, which is quite a feat.”

It just keeps getting better and better. In the Florida gubernatorial race one candidate accuses the other candidate's running mate of anti-Semitic comments made twenty years ago, one a California Representative accuses his opponent of being an Islamic terrorist sympathizer.
    This could go under this Trump era or Maake's next election cycle categories.

This is by Joel Kotkin, who's a moderate Democrat. He's basically saying America is better than its politicians. It's hard to disagree.

America keeps winning regardless of who is president

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/2...-is-president/

Excerpt:
    Donald Trump, being a braggart by nature, of course claims this success for himself. Even President Obama, who presided over the tepid recovery but can claim he pulled the economy “out of the ditch,” wants to take a bow. Yet the real hero here is neither president, but America itself, whose phenomenal advantages over its competitors have gotten stronger with time....

--Yeats

This is by Joel Kotkin, who's a moderate Democrat. He's basically saying America is better than its politicians. It's hard to disagree.

America keeps winning regardless of who is president

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/2...-is-president/

Excerpt:
    Kotkin may be right about the economy, although the Fed and Treasury Departments under Bush and Obama can take some credit for our weathering the Great Recession better than other countries.
    I don't think we're better than our politicians. We vote them in, and they're a reflection of us. They respond to us (and money.) They don't act in a vacuum.

Kotkin may be right about the economy, although the Fed and Treasury Departments under Bush and Obama can take some credit for our weathering the Great Recession better than other countries.
    I don't think we're better than our politicians. We vote them in, and they're a reflection of us. They respond to us (and money.) They don't act in a vacuum.
    Yes and no. The population elect politicians, but we don’t select who runs for office. The way the system is set up, it takes a certain sort of person to run for office. Many of the brightest and most qualified people to lead would never subject themselves to the process, either because they don’t have the self-aggrandizing, power-hungry type of personality needed, or they can be more successful, secure, and fulfilled in the private sector.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Yes and no. The population elect politicians, but we don’t select who runs for office. The way the system is set up, it takes a certain sort of person to run for office. Many of the brightest and most qualified people to lead would never subject themselves to the process, either because they don’t have the self-aggrandizing, power-hungry type of personality needed, or they can be more successful, secure, and fulfilled in the private sector.
    The politicians we deserve

Excerpt:

In the spring of 2011, then-governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana announced he would not seek the Republican presidential nomination, ending months of excitement among conservatives around his possible run. His family’s reservations under the spotlight far outweighed any political pressure he may have been feeling, and he gracefully bowed out.His decision was a low point for conservatives hungry for that Midwestern sensibility and sharp wit that Daniels embodied. The former political adviser to Ronald Reagan and head of George W. Bush’s Office of Management and Budget, Daniels was a rock star in the conservative movement. But the Daniels family had a complicated past. He and his wife had married, divorced, and eventually remarried one another.

Most people would have called that a happy ending. On social media, you can imagine, that story would have been told very differently.

Fast forward seven years. Daniels says had he had to make that choice in today’s political climate, he would have reached his conclusion significantly faster.

“At the time, it was a decision that took months for me to consider, one I put great thought into with my family. Today, it would take me less than ten minutes to decide not to run,” he said from his office at Purdue University, where he serves as its president, a position he took in January 2013 at the conclusion of his second term as governor of the state of Indiana.

Daniels’ decision as a possible presidential candidate was a very high-profile example of when good men and women decide not to run for office, not because they aren’t capable, not because they lack leadership qualities, but because of the personal cost to their lives, reputations, and their family’s stability.

Read the whole thing.

--Yeats

I wonder what the house would look like if it were staffed by random lottery like jury duty.

It would still be lobbyists writing bills but at least the reps wouldn’t be on their payrolls (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I wonder what the house would look like if it were staffed by random lottery like jury duty.

It would still be lobbyists writing bills but at least the reps wouldn’t be on their payrolls (maybe).
    Half of it would be empty because half the people wouldn’t bother to show up....just like jury duty. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Half of it would be empty because half the people wouldn’t bother to show up....just like jury duty. Haha

That’s probably how it would start- their empty seats and placards would show up on CSPAN. People would start posting garbage on Facebook. They’d show up to work only to find that by law they are not allowed to hold that job while a member of Congress. Eventually they’d give up and go to DC. The interviews wth the late arrivals would be funny.

Here's the prosecutor-interviewer's report, for whatever it is worth:

https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaug...00aa9a711.html

In a memo sent to all GOP senators, Arizona prosecutor Rachel Mitchell — who was hired by Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee to ask questions of Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford during last week's hearing — said she did not believe "a reasonable prosecutor would bring this case based on the evidence before the Committee," per NBC News.

The other side: Democrats condemned Republicans' choice of Mitchell, arguing that it created a judicial setting for the hearing — when neither Ford nor Kavanaugh was on trial.

--Yeats

Here's the prosecutor-interviewer's report, for whatever it is worth:

https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaug...00aa9a711.html
    And a decision whether to prosecute would be based upon exhaustive investigation.
    Seems like kind of a silly statement.
    You need to let go and move on, my brother. Let's hope that the SCOTUS, with Kavanaugh, acts as you anticipate for the next four years. I won't add the Judiciary Committee acting in a reasonable, responsible way. That won't happen anytime soon. Can't possibly ask for both things happening together.

Agh.

How long until Trump moves his tweets to this cellular Presidential Alerts.

There's only one time in my entire life I can think of where one of these Presidential Alerts would've been called for, and that was on 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Agh.

How long until Trump moves his tweets to this cellular Presidential Alerts.
    That would be an impeachable offense.

--Yeats

That would be an impeachable offense.
    We'd just add it to his list.