Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

David French, being reasonable:

It’s Time to Calm Down about the Caravan

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...unwCy53dvjU9qQ

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Calm and reason?

We can't have such nonsense.

What has happened to you? When I posted something from Frum a month or two ago you said you no longer read him b/c he is not a conservative (or something like that). Then you post something the other day. Now French. If you post Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, George Will, I will believe you really have turned a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What has happened to you? When I posted something from Frum a month or two ago you said you no longer read him b/c he is not a conservative (or something like that). Then you post something the other day. Now French. If you post Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, George Will, I will believe you really have turned a corner.
    I know David French. He's a principled conservative. Not at all like the others on your list.

Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, and George Will are all pundits in vogue with liberals because they are attacking not only Trump, but the GOP, and they're urging actions that will, if taken, promote liberal policy and power goals (e.g., Will urging votes against Republicans -- catnip for liberals!).

Max Boot: Has gone off the deep end. A never-Trumper who's lost his mind.
    Jennifer Rubin: Ditto. Not even a conservative anymore. Insufferably shrill, too.
    Rick Wilson: I don't know who he is.
    Michael Gerson: Good, principled guy. Not as extreme as the others.
    George Will: Has become a little old lady, and a bitter one at that. He's the guy who called George H.W. Bush a "lap dog." I'm sure liberals loved that too.

The moment any one of these folks wanders back into the conservative fold, libs will attack them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I know David French. He's a principled conservative. Not at all like the others on your list.

Max Boot, Rick Wilson, Michael Gerson, Jennifer Rubin, and George Will are all pundits in vogue with liberals because they are attacking not only Trump, but the GOP, and they're urging actions that will, if taken, promote liberal policy and power goals (e.g., Will urging votes against Republicans -- catnip for liberals!).

Max Boot: Has gone off the deep end. A never-Trumper who's lost his mind.
    Jennifer Rubin: Ditto. Not even a conservative anymore. Insufferably shrill, too.
    Rick Wilson: I don't know who he is.
    Michael Gerson: Good, principled guy. Not as extreme as the others.
    George Will: Has become a little old lady, and a bitter one at that. He's the guy who called George H.W. Bush a "lap dog." I'm sure liberals loved that too.

The moment any one of these folks wanders back into the conservative fold, libs will attack them.
    I love the litmus test: anybody who disagrees with you is no longer conservative, no longer principled, and has wandered off. Of course, they all would say it is you and Trump who has wandered off, and that they are still true to Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I love the litmus test: anybody who disagrees with you is no longer conservative, no longer principled, and has wandered off. Of course, they all would say it is you and Trump who has wandered off, and that they are still true to Reagan.
    Well played. But my problem with them is that they're willing to throw conservative policy goals under the bus just because they hate Trump. I don't think they are unprincipled. Some are conservative (not Rubin, who seems to have lost her mind; Boot is a neocon). I'd rather have Trump in the Oval Office than H. Clinton, as long as we have institutions that can trammel him sufficiently. (I think we do.) To me this is all a matter of the clear lesser of two evils.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You are wrong, though. He is damaging this country is unusual, perhaps irreparable ways. She would have just damaged it in the traditional ways.

Never trump conservatives like Will are taking the long view. It's worth sacrificing a few election cycles to prevent the complete corruption of conservative values.

Exactly. Well put.

Plus I think it likely that Clinton would have been mostly benign as pres. She touted all these legislative programs that would have been DOA in Congress. she would have continued Obama's policies for the most part: kept us in the Iran deal, TPP, Paris Climate Accord, NAFTA, etc. She would not have picked fights with our allies or NATO, and would have stood up to Putin (which is why he wanted Trump). Would not have had tariffs or tax cuts (on this scale, anyway). Much different environmental policies, and would have kept Obamacare. Would have been deadlock for four more years, with Merrick Garland types on the court.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You are wrong, though. He is damaging this country is unusual, perhaps irreparable ways. She would have just damaged it in the traditional ways.

Never trump conservatives like Will are taking the long view. It's worth sacrificing a few election cycles to prevent the complete corruption of conservative values.
    A 5-4 or 6-3 activist liberal majority on the Supreme Court could easily change the USA for many election cycles. Your grandchildren would be living in the country they'd create. Remember, I didn't vote for Trump. I'm just saying that on balsnce we're better off with him as president. It's painful for me to say that. I'd trade him for almost any of the other Republicans who ran (not Rand Paul or Cruz). I wouldn't trade him for Hillary Clinton.

--Yeats

A 5-4 or 6-3 activist liberal majority on the Supreme Court could easily change the USA for many election cycles. Your grandchildren would be living in the country they'd create. Remember, I didn't vote for Trump. I'm just saying that on balsnce we're better off with him as president. It's painful for me to say that. I'd trade him for almost any of the other Republicans who ran (not Rand Paul or Cruz). I wouldn't trade him for Hillary Clinton.
    You would have had moderate justices, because that would be who could be confirmed. If mc'Connell allowed any vote during her four years, which he threatened he might not do. Moderate far superior to rigid left or right imho. You underestimate the damage Trump is doing to the fabric of the country, or you just look the other way.

I’m sorry to see that Ruth Bader Ginsberg fell and hurt herself. If she leaves the Court during Trump’s term I hope he appoints Merrick Garland to replace her. (I’m serious.)

--Yeats

Gotta love politicians. (Yes, I know both sides do things like this. It’s funny either way.)

A374C633-ED26-4BBB-AFBF-34C60770DF31.jpeg

--Yeats

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Gotta love politicians. (Yes, I know both sides do things like this. It’s funny either way.)

A374C633-ED26-4BBB-AFBF-34C60770DF31.jpeg
    Sure, if you dredge up any politician's past you are going to find contradictions about 1/1024th of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 11-08-2018 at 06:04 AM.