Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Trump Is Making Everyone a Little Like Him

Ugh. Interesting and depressing piece:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ke-him/558227/
    To a certain extent, this has already happened as Indonesia has made a "Fake News" law.

https://www.vice.com/en_id/article/j...to-free-speech

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    To a certain extent, this has already happened as Indonesia has made a "Fake News" law.

https://www.vice.com/en_id/article/j...to-free-speech
    Am I the only one who laughs at the whole "fake news" phrase. It is perfectly Trumpian in that it sounds childish and also doesn't really explain it... because it is actually news. That phrase is just something easy for an eight-year-old to shout on a playground.

How about media bias, media corruption, fabricated news, inaccurate or incomplete reporting? There has to be some more descriptive and adult phrase than 'fake news'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Am I the only one who laughs at the whole "fake news" phrase. It is perfectly Trumpian in that it sounds childish and also doesn't really explain it... because it is actually news. That phrase is just something easy for an eight-year-old to shout on a playground.

How about media bias, media corruption, fabricated news, inaccurate or incomplete reporting? There has to be some more descriptive and adult phrase than 'fake news'.

He is trying to communicate to the lowest common denominator of public perception. He's got a tremendous instinct for that. A great, demagogic, Barnum and Bailey circus master instinct.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He is trying to communicate to the lowest common denominator of public perception. He's got a tremendous instinct for that. A great, demagogic, Barnum and Bailey circus master instinct.
    Yep. His use of language to trigger our most basic of human emotions is pretty impressive to see. Fascinating actually. It really allows me to see how 20th century Germans were able to gravitate to Hitler. Not that I'm comparing Trump to Hitler other than their ability to speak to primal instincts of large audiences.

Yep. His use of language to trigger our most basic of human emotions is pretty impressive to see. Fascinating actually. It really allows me to see how 20th century Germans were able to gravitate to Hitler. Not that I'm comparing Trump to Hitler other than their ability to speak to primal instincts of large audiences.
    I continue to believe that our next President will tell us exactly where we are as a nation and might be one of the most important elections of our lives. Will we survive this bozo? Will the next President be a reactive answer to this guy that is in some ways just as bad. Or, will we elect a quality, decent President and move forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

Me and my kids use that phrase all the time now. Whenever one of us thinks the other is pulling the wool over our eyes, we yell out “fake news!”

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Will the next President be a reactive answer to this guy that is in some ways just as bad. Or, will we elect a quality, decent President and move forward?
    My guess is the first.

As long as we have two parties controlled by self interests, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

My guess is the first.

As long as we have two parties controlled by self interests, I don't see this changing anytime soon.
    Whereas in nature a pendulum swings less and less further out with each swing in time, it seems in politics it is just the opposite, with each swing reaching further extremes.