Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Agreed. Her and Bill are not doing the Democrats any favors in the current #metoo climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peggy Noonan pretty much hit the nail on the head this morning.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/deliver...ton-1521153317

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Peggy Noonan pretty much hit the nail on the head this morning.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/deliver...ton-1521153317
    I thought that was an excellent column. Do you think the Democrats' progressive base will allow them to nominate more Lambs? I think both parties have a huge problem with their more extreme bases.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Today’s unsigned editorial in the Wall Street Journal:

“Hillary Clinton Leans Out,”
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary...out-1520983364
    Ouch. This isn't going to help much.

I agree with this.

Some redactions would be required for national Security reasons, but the more transparency the better, IMO.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/we-don...rticle/2011920
    Which is why they won't do it.

They had a conclusion they wanted to reach, then cherry picked the data that allowed them to reach that conclusion.

I thought that was an excellent column. Do you think the Democrats' progressive base will allow them to nominate more Lambs? I think both parties have a huge problem with their more extreme bases.
    I'll reply to myself and say that I really miss the days of yore when Congress and the POTUS would work out compromises. We got legislation that was not perfect but moved the country forward. Reagan and Tip O'Neill did that. So did Bush 41. Even Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich did. I think Bush 43 did too (No Child Left Behind, for example.) But that started to die in GWB's second term and was totally dead during Obama's entire presidency (and both sides were at fault; we can argue about the distribution of blame). Now compromise is not just dead, it's mummified.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I think it depends on the local dynamics, but I think the Democratic Party is definitely in "big tent" mode. Now ain't the time for ideological purity. My hunch is the local Dems in Pennsylvania decided they had to veer right, ie, the lesson of Trump, similar to how Bill Clinton took the party to the right (ie more to the center) to adjust to the hard lessons of Carter, Mondale, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I think it depends on the local dynamics, but I think the Democratic Party is definitely in "big tent" mode. Now ain't the time for ideological purity. My hunch is the local Dems in Pennsylvania decided they had to veer right, ie, the lesson of Trump, similar to how Bill Clinton took the party to the right (ie more to the center) to adjust to the hard lessons of Carter, Mondale, etc.
    That would be smart. I, of course, still belong to the stupid party.

--Yeats

I wonder how many people will be surprised by this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/u...-campaign.html

Does anyone think Republican committee chairs - eg, Devin Nunes - will consider this a serious problem that needs Congressional attention?

I wonder how many people will be surprised by this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/u...-campaign.html

Does anyone think Republican committee chairs - eg, Devin Nunes - will consider this a serious problem that needs Congressional attention?
    Unfortunately we have gotten to the point where its all fair if your side wins. It seems to apply to athletics and politics alike.

It looks like the link I posted last year got lost with the first Trump thread.

The BBC did an interview last year with the person who helped put Project Alamo together.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-...the-presidency

Now we know what their "secret sauce" was.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 03-19-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Continued fallout over the weekend.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/u...vacy-data.html

The most intriguing part to me.

Over the weekend, Facebook was on the defensive. Top executives took to Twitter to argue that the company’s protections had not been breached, and that Facebook was thus not at fault.
    Am I the only one that finds it ironic that FB execs defended themselves, on Twitter, ostensibly a competitor?

Replacing McMaster with John Bolton tells me Trump intends to survive Mueller by starting a war, or two, possibly preceded by a trade war to get Americans into a "us against the world" mindset.

Replacing McMaster with John Bolton tells me Trump intends to survive Mueller by starting a war, or two, possibly preceded by a trade war to get Americans into a "us against the world" mindset.
    The only question is whether he declares war during his call with KJU or if he lets Ivanka pull the trigger first.

Either way I look forward to the first declaration of war on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    The only question is whether he declares war during his call with KJU or if he lets Ivanka pull the trigger first.

Either way I look forward to the first declaration of war on Twitter.
    Hopefully Congress will stop him before he kills the world.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Hopefully Congress will stop him before he kills the world.
    You mean Ryan or Nunez or Mitch? I sort of thought Kelly and McMaster were the last line of defense. I guess it's just Kelly, and Trump has already floated the idea of being his own chief of staff.

i really hope congress comes through, because the only check behind them is the military refusing presidential orders, which is a half step away from a military coup. We don't want to be one of those countries (well the 24% of Trump supporters who are currently disinclined to democracy might), but it seems like the congress may be incapable of performing the critical check and balance to preserve our democracy.

The hacker known as Guccifer 2.0, who was the one who hacked the DNC and released Clinton's email, made a small mistake recently and forgot to enable his VPN while online, leaving a traceable IP address.

It turns out he works for the Russian GRU.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...ssia-collusion

Although part of me wonders if Russia intentionally released this information in order to stir up even more chaos in the US.

McMaster's Retirement From the Military Reveals A Lot About President Trump

http://time.com/5212570/hr-mcmaster-trump/
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

You mean Ryan or Nunez or Mitch? I sort of thought Kelly and McMaster were the last line of defense. I guess it's just Kelly, and Trump has already floated the idea of being his own chief of staff

I was being partially facetious. At this point I just hope the criminal probe into the Republican crime family doesn't nab people a the way down at the LA Ute level.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I was being partially facetious. At this point I just hope the criminal probe into the Republican crime family doesn't nab people a the way down at the LA Ute level.
    I'll plead the 5th. Concerned will defend me.

--Yeats

I'll plead the 5th. Concerned will defend me.
    5th of what? Vodka? Rum? Whisky? It’s Gin isn’t it? You seem like a Gin guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The hacker known as Guccifer 2.0, who was the one who hacked the DNC and released Clinton's email, made a small mistake recently and forgot to enable his VPN while online, leaving a traceable IP address.

It turns out he works for the Russian GRU.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...ssia-collusion

Although part of me wonders if Russia intentionally released this information in order to stir up even more chaos in the US.
    An understandable thought, but I *think* it's unlikely - after denying everything under the sun, why would the Russians disclose it was an actual Russian Intelligence agent who was Guccifer?

Positive thought for the weekend: May this small (but in ordinary times massive) piece of information be part of the convincing of enough good, decent, reasonable, patriotic Republicans that we're in a fight for the future existence of ole US of A, and we really, really need their help (and we won't blame them if they feel they didn't get what they thought they were voting for).

New quote heard: Trump doesn't have guiding principles. He has impulses.

New quote heard: Trump doesn't have guiding principles. He has impulses.
    Impulses that can be greatly influenced by who talked to him last.

I hope this is an outlier, but the Treasury is planning on selling $294B in T-Bills this week, the highest weekly figure since the 2008 financial crisis.

It's hard to tell how much this is due to lowered tax revenues from tax reform, vs a ramp up to higher spending from the big spending bill this month, but the T-Bill rates have jumped from 2.4% in January to 3.0% now.

(Economist consensus was ignored during the GOP tax bill run-up. Another consensus is "a trade war is not a good thing, especially for an economy depending upon the country you're going to war with to finance your deficit spending".)

https://seekingalpha.com/news/334207...-week?uprof=80

I hope this is an outlier, but the Treasury is planning on selling $294B in T-Bills this week, the highest weekly figure since the 2008 financial crisis.

It's hard to tell how much this is due to lowered tax revenues from tax reform, vs a ramp up to higher spending from the big spending bill this month, but the T-Bill rates have jumped from 2.4% in January to 3.0% now.

(Economist consensus was ignored during the GOP tax bill run-up. Another consensus is "a trade war is not a good thing, especially for an economy depending upon the country you're going to war with to finance your deficit spending".)

https://seekingalpha.com/news/334207...-week?uprof=80
    Huh. I wonder how many China will buy now.

I think it's impossible to know the truth or falsity of all that is alleged here but as a guy who dislikes Trump and wishes another Republican were president, and who is a conservative and loves the country, I'm not happy about these things. I must say that if the parties were reversed my liberal friends would be find all these actions outrageous. But everybody seems to be outraged right now over just about everything anyway....

On March 17, ex-CIA Director John Brennan tweeted about the current president of the United States: “When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. . . . America will triumph over you.”

That outburst from the former head of the world’s premier spy agency seemed a near threat to a sitting president, and former U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power tweeted that it probably was: “Not a good idea to piss off John Brennan.”

If there is such a thing as a dangerous “deep state” of elite but unelected federal officials who feel that they are untouchable and unaccountable, then John Brennan is the poster boy. . . .

Brennan is typical of the careerist deep state.

Former National Security Advisor Susan Rice lied about the Benghazi tragedy, the nature of the Bowe Bergdahl/Guantanamo detainee exchange, the presence of chemical weapons in Syria, and her role in unmasking the identities of surveilled Americans.

Andrew McCabe, recently fired from his job as FBI deputy director, openly admitted to lying to investigators, claiming he was “confused and distracted.” McCabe had said that he was not a source for background leaks about the investigation of the Clinton Foundation. He wrote in an op-ed for the Washington Post that “some of my answers were not fully accurate . . .”

Former FBI Director James Comey likely lied about not drafting a statement exonerating Hillary Clinton of wrongdoing in her email scandal before interviewing her.

Comey misled a FISA court by not providing the entire truth about the Steele dossier. He falsely assured the president that he was not under investigation while likely leaking to others that Trump was, in fact, under investigation.

Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper lied under oath to the Senate Intelligence Committee when he said that the National Security Agency did not collect data on American citizens. When caught in the lie, Clapper claimed that he had given the “least untruthful” answer to the committee that he could publicly provide.

In the past, Clapper had also misled the country about the “secular” nature of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood and the threat posed by the Islamic State.

Note that Brennan, Clapper, Comey, McCabe, and Rice so far have not been held to account for their distortions.
    https://amgreatness.com/2018/03/28/t...ted-officials/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-29-2018 at 11:19 AM.

--Yeats

East High School's own Roseanne Barr is back, with a reprise of her old sitcom, this time aimed at an audience of stereotypical Trump voters.

Trump is jubilant, my wife is freaked out... I think it will be OK.

1. The disaffected Americans who comprise Trump nation need a voice. Anger and angst people feel about issues is amplified if don't they feel others feel the same way.

2. Roseanne Barr doesn't have the comedy chops to sustain a comedy over the long haul without some more serious episodes about not-so-funny issues, which would likely involve deeper thinking about issues the nation faces. More thinking and less reacting would benefit everyone.

3. Roseanne fans might try to connect with others by bringing up what they probably assume are universally funny / true parts of her TV show. The reaction they get may inform them that while there are others who share their view of the world, plenty of others don't...but we need to get along.

(I doubt the opportunity will present itself to me, but I would point out that Roseanne - and Goodman - essentially glorify obesity, which ends up being a burden upon tax payers.)

I think it's impossible to know the truth or falsity of all that is alleged here but as a guy who dislikes Trump and wishes another Republican were president, and who is a conservative and loves the country, I'm not happy about these things. I must say that if the parties were reversed my liberal friends would be find all these actions outrageous. But everybody seems to be outraged right now over just about everything anyway....

https://amgreatness.com/2018/03/28/t...ted-officials/
    LA going deep state. It’s really disappointiNgwybe to see those that postured as anti-Trump line up to be become hismpermissive enablers.

LA going deep state. It’s really disappointiNgwybe to see those that postured as anti-Trump line up to be become hismpermissive enablers.
    Its the Breitbart virus. He has the fever. It infects all of them
    Last edited by concerned; 04-01-2018 at 01:38 PM.