Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    I am not sure if you are being snarky or serious, so I will assume you are serious.

I do not mean to compare directly GWB to DJT, but to provide one example of where a military campaign was claimed to have been completed when it was clearly not complete. This is the passage in the article (that was also in your snip) that caught my attention, "President Trump touched down Wednesday in Iraq in his first visit to a conflict zone as commander in chief, a week after announcing a victory over the Islamic State that his own Pentagon and State Department days earlier said remained incomplete."

I am sure there are others, but this is the one that came to mind when I read your referenced article. If there are differences that I am not seeing on the surface level at which I am admittedly viewing it, I would be glad to be educated.
    I was being serious. I see what you meant now. Calling ISIS “the JayVee” is a similar example. Trump, however, operates at an entirely different level of mindless bluster.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

From conservative Trump critic John Podhoretz at Commentary:

Special prosecutor Robert Mueller took the extraordinary step of publicly discrediting the article in BuzzFeed claiming Donald Trump told his lawyer, Michael Cohen, to lie to Congress about the Trump Tower Moscow project. As it happens, I was one of the first people on cable television to comment on the original story because it came out at 11 pm on Thursday night and I was on “Morning Joe” at 6 am Friday. As the article’s details warranted, I went immediately to Defcon 1.

“If the story is true, we are not at another level,” I said. “We are at impeachment.” I am a confirmed skeptic about Trump-Russia-collusion narrative. What was different here was (as Jonah Goldberg pointed out) that it is perfectly believable Trump would ask Cohen to lie about something, since Trump himself lies several times a day, even about things he has no reason to lie about.

I thank God I had the common sense to say “if this story is true,” because it almost certainly isn’t. The Washington Post offers this shocking refutation: “Inside the Justice Department, the [Mueller] statement was viewed as a huge step, and one that would have been taken only if the special counsel’s office viewed the story as almost entirely incorrect. The special counsel’s office seemed to be disputing every aspect of the story that addressed comments or evidence given to its investigators.”

The Trump-Russia story in all its permutations (including the ones regarding FBI misbehavior in pursuit of it) is easily the most important going right now. It should go without saying that editors and reporters must exercise extraordinary prudence when advancing a narrative that implies the president of the United States is either the pawn of a foreign power or engaged in an impeachable effort to cover stuff up. But it doesn’t go without saying.

Trump is viewed as such a threat to the American present and future that many of his most determined foes are working along the lines of the instructions delivered to Chicago’s police in The Blues Brothers:“Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved.” Trump is reckless with the truth. That doesn’t give his pursuers license to be reckless with it as well. Quite the opposite, in fact. The discredited BuzzFeed story advances the dreadful case that there is no truth—that there are only agendas.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Is it possible that Gulliani's bizarre change of messaging that the Trump organization was talking about a project in Moscow throughout the election is because he knows that evidence of communication between Trump himself and Russians exists? Is this so they can later claim, "These were just talks about building a building, nothing to do with politics whatsoever?"

It seems it is either that or Gulliani is losing his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Is it possible that Gulliani's bizarre change of messaging that the Trump organization was talking about a project in Moscow throughout the election is because he knows that evidence of communication between Trump himself and Russians exists? Is this so they can later claim, "These were just talks about building a building, nothing to do with politics whatsoever?"

It seems it is either that or Gulliani is losing his mind.
    To me this is part of a pattern of retreating from public denials, getting out front and getting backers & the public used to unflattering facts. Sort of like earlier rumblings from the right like "collusion isn't illegal".

The real mystery to me is what has happened to Lindsey Graham? His metamorphis has been dramatic. Something's not quite right there.

I get the sense a lot of people have tuned out on the day-to-day news, but feel comforted that the House is in a position to be a counter balance, and that Mueller is doing his job.

The poll numbers for Mueller & Trump reflect the general sense that Trump simply isn't credible, and Mueller - though he never speaks - has America's interests at heart.

For those who pay close attention, the unfolding story is pretty intense. Those who were around for Watergate - Dean, Woodward, Bernstein, many others - say this makes Watergate look pretty tame.

There's speculation if money came from Russia and the evidence is as strong as Mueller seems to demand, support among DC Republicans could erode substantially. I have a hard time seeing how Republican support could evaporate as quickly as it did for Nixon - 55 down to 15% in a couple of months - but if somebody like Romney wants to lead a revival of the orthodox GOP, the opportunity might be coming up.

I’m considered a squish on immigration issues by many conservatives’ standards. I disagree with Romney on the issue, for example. Still, the linked Washington Post article and this commentary on it is fascinating to me.

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2018/1...ngton.html?m=1

--Yeats

Talking to some federal employees who are required to work right now with pay and the obviously are not happy. They recently received a sample letter to send to creditors if they need.

Pretty disgusting to use the people who work for you as pawns, I don't know how Trump can stand to live with himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a thought-provoking take.

How the Trump presidency made me a better American

https://nypost.com/2018/12/30/how-th...tter-american/

(Spoiler: It didn’t have that effect because of any charitable intent on Trump’s part.)

--Yeats

NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows Pelosi hardest hit by the shutdown. Surprising.

In fact, the percentage of respondents with a “very negative” of Pelosi increased by six points from 28 percent in December to 34 percent in January. President Trump’s “very negative” numbers held at 43 percent over the last month, and McConnell’s numbers actually improved by one point. Pelosi’s total numbers show a 19-point gap between her positives and negatives, larger than McConnell (18 points) and Trump (12 points).
    0946CB56-69BF-4474-8081-79D61E501886.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-28-2019 at 08:46 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows Pelosi hardest hit by the shutdown. Surprising.

0946CB56-69BF-4474-8081-79D61E501886.jpg
    While I think the blame on the shutdown lies solely upon Trump, I don't think anybody in the government came out looking good from all of this. And if they really want fuel for the fire of negative emotion, they'll let the government shut down again on Feb 15. At that point I don't think the public will care about any 'principle' either side is claiming to stand on.

You all know how much I dislike Trump. You also know that I think the “Russia collusion” attack on him will, if it turns out to be unfounded, the most cynical, highly-organized political stunt in American history. Here are some hints about where it’s going.

As The Russia Hoax Begins To Unravel, The Gaslighting Begins

http://thefederalist.com/2019/02/14/...ghting-begins/

--Yeats

Mitt announces his intentions:

Opinion | Mitt Romney: A president shapes the nation’s character. Trump’s falls short.
    The Washington Post

“The people of this country will respond if called to a higher action.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.97068730a444

--Yeats

Hope Bill is right. Also hope this is awkward for Ronna Romney McDaniel

Mike Murphy liked
    Bill KristolVerified account @BillKristol 2h2 hours agoMore

Romney’s op-ed is a shot across the bow. Some are disappointed because it’s not a full-on assault on the Trump battleship. But it is a shot. And shots across the bow are often followed by real boarding parties.

Karen TumultyVerified account @ktumulty 2m2 minutes agoMore

Also the Conway family.

Matt SchlappVerified account @mschlapp

Trump is really divisive...to the Romney family.

It strikes me that the seat gained by the GOP in the Senate may not be as useful as it seems given Romney's views on Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Mitt announces his intentions:

Opinion | Mitt Romney: A president shapes the nation’s character. Trump’s falls short.
    The Washington Post

“The people of this country will respond if called to a higher action.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.97068730a444
    Mitt's right, but I think his attack is premature. Right now he's being dismissed as a sore loser - basically another whiner, like Hillary - where (IMO) he needed to put this out when more of the heavy stuff comes out, when Trump & his 2020 campaign manager have much larger punches to worry about.

Hope there's a lot more material to come.

OTOH, getting this out now puts him in place to say "I talked about character before Mueller's bombshells. Character matters, folks".
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 01-02-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Unrelated to Romney or Trump, China & Japan have both been dumping US treasuries / no longer buying newly issued T-Bills. China previously held 22% of our federal debt, which is now down to 18%, and Japan's share has dropped from 21% to 16%. Some speculate this is China retaliating for the trade tensions, but more likely, they're seeing the need to diversify their investments away from US sovereign debt. (This reason parallels why Japan would be doing the same, since Japan's exposure to Trump's trade threats is less acute.)

This may be playing into the calculus Powell uses to bump up interest rates - which in turn leads to Trump talking about firing him. More signs are pointing to a global slowdown / recession, which would force Powell to increase rates to attract buyers of US debt. Of course, higher rates increase our deficit, which has remained "lower" because interest payments have been so low.

If the US enters recession, it would explode the deficit, already nearly $1T per year, nearing 5% of our GDP... during one of the longest expansions on record.

While the Fed has started to slowly "unwind" the Quantitative Easing used to avoid a full blown Depression during the Great Recession, because we have almost no maneuvering room on the federal fiscal front there may need to be a grand bargain on entitlement reform, lower defense spending, and reversing some of the tax cuts.

*This* is why you don't want perpetual deficit spending during boom times, and why the great majority of economists were against the tax cuts
    . (Apples & Oranges, but for comparison, Canada typically runs a very small budget surplus, and ran small deficits during the Great Recession.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Unrelated to Romney or Trump, China & Japan have both been dumping US treasuries / no longer buying newly issued T-Bills. China previously held 22% of our federal debt, which is now down to 18%, and Japan's share has dropped from 21% to 16%. Some speculate this is China retaliating for the trade tensions, but more likely, they're seeing the need to diversify their investments away from US sovereign debt. (This reason parallels why Japan would be doing the same, since Japan's exposure to Trump's trade threats is less acute.)

This may be playing into the calculus Powell uses to bump up interest rates - which in turn leads to Trump talking about firing him. More signs are pointing to a global slowdown / recession, which would force Powell to increase rates to attract buyers of US debt. Of course, higher rates increase our deficit, which has remained "lower" because interest payments have been so low.

If the US enters recession, it would explode the deficit, already nearly $1T per year, nearing 5% of our GDP... during one of the longest expansions on record.

While the Fed has started to slowly "unwind" the Quantitative Easing used to avoid a full blown Depression during the Great Recession, because we have almost no maneuvering room on the federal fiscal front there may need to be a grand bargain on entitlement reform, lower defense spending, and reversing some of the tax cuts.

*This* is why you don't want perpetual deficit spending during boom times, and why the great majority of economists were against the tax cuts
    . (Apples & Oranges, but for comparison, Canada typically runs a very small budget surplus, and ran small deficits during the Great Recession.)
    There's also this nugget that came out over the holidays.

China imports zero U.S. soybeans in November for first time since trade war started
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...-trade-n951556

George Conway gets more and more liberated/brazen with each passing day. I cant figure out if he is trying to get Kellyanne to quit or get fired, or just get her completely isolated in the West Wing. she must be in on it, and both of them must see this as a way to protect their backsides after she or Trump is gone.

George Conway@gtconway3d 2h2 hours ago

George Conway Retweeted Josh Dawsey

George Conway added

Ah, yes. How many times have we seen this now? Undercut and contradict your representatives so no one will deal with them. Nothing gets accomplished, but at least you remain the center of focus, because that’s the only thing that matters.The Narcissist’s Art of the Deal.

Josh Dawsey@jdawsey1

Trump continues to confound as a negotiator to allies and foes alike. How Trump’s White House is handling the shutdown negotiations w/@seungminkim: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...8c7_story.html

Good grief. Did this really happen? I don’t know what to think anymore about any of this stuff.

Eight days in May: New revelations about intrigue to remove Trump

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...resident-trump

--Yeats

Well, any question that may have arisen in the mind of any member of Trump's core regarding his declaration of a state of emergency will be wiped out as Trump hits the Twitter trail today excoriating the NFL for settling with Colin Kaepernic yesterday. He couldn't have timed his announcement better.

--Yeats

I think there are many Republicans who will not like David Brooks' latest NYT editorial.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/o...gtype=Homepage.

I don't see any problem with taking a wait-and-see approach (particularly when your opinion has zero bearing on the matter). The article rightfully points out that there have been soooooo many "This.Is.Big." moments that aren't actually big it's hard to take much credence in them. Chris Cilliza's life seems devoted to that and making those "24 shocking things the president said..." 23 of which aren't actually shocking.

I'm done with the noise on the investigation until the report comes out. Little doubt Mueller will be thorough and detailed.

Down goes Roger Stone...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...arrested-video

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hey, I posted this last week! Brooks writes it better, of course.
    But his words don't carry any more weight!

Interesting new poll. Lots of information here, and this bit caught my eye:

“And regarding socialism, just 18 percent of all Americans say they view the term positively, versus 50 percent who see it in a negative light.”

NBC News/WSJ poll: 2020 race will be uphill for Trump, but he has strong party loyalty

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...-trump-n978331

--Yeats

There have been times where David Brooks provided a reasoned view of conservative thinking that made me re-think by own biases. His take on Cohen's testimony was an interesting angle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/o...testimony.html

This is how moral corrosion happens. Supporting Trump requires daily acts of moral distancing, a process that means that after a few months you are tolerant of any corruption. You are morally numb to everything. You end up where Representative Jim Jordan blandly ended up Wednesday, in referring to the hush-money scheme: “I think it’s news we knew about.”
    When Bill Clinton's misdeeds were revealed, I was repulsed. It soured my enthusiasm for him. But it was essentially one (sizable) moral defect, his presidency was winding down, and he'd otherwise done a decent job as president. Reports that Hillary slapped in the face were believable, and if true, it was just.

With Trump the catalog of defects and morally reprehensible behavior is far more expansive, to overwhelm the senses. "Supporting Trump requires daily acts of moral distancing, a process that means that after a few months you are tolerant of any corruption. You are morally numb to everything."

Most of the good people I know who support Trump don't really follow the news, objectively. They can't. He assaults their morals in a wholesale manner. If one of their children started acting like Trump, they would be aghast, because they've been unable to teach the moral principles they espouse while rationalizing their support of the president. Their morality is getting dusty, sitting on the shelf.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 03-03-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Newest Democratic presidential candidate, John Hickenlooper of Colorado, asserts "Reasonable Republicans admit concerns about Trump after 2 beers". https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/0...ld-trump-beer/

It's an amusing, but insightful quip, lightly broaches the topic of defensive partisanship clouding patriotism... and it also indirectly explains why Nixon still was over 50% in approval in Utah, *after* he resigned and was far lower nationally, among Republicans. (Just ribbing LA and others. My sense of why Nixon was so revered in Utah after leaving office is because most Utah Republicans are too busy to really pay attention to what's going on.)

I don't know much about Hickenlooper, but Colorado is definitely a swing state, so he knows how to interact with Republicans, and with he & Jay Inslee of Washington in the mix, it balances out the field with a couple of white males. (Granted, this doesn't mean much on the surface, but to the extent they can bring a perspective and a voice that speaks to the alienation of many Democrats who voted for Trump, this may steer the dialog in a good direction.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Newest Democratic presidential candidate, John Hickenlooper of Colorado, asserts "Reasonable Republicans admit concerns about Trump after 2 beers". https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/0...ld-trump-beer/
    I liked him fine as governor here. Add him to the long list of candidates I prefer to the incumbent.

I'm not sure Colorado is really a swing state though.

Did everyone see the political hate maps in the Atlantic yesterday?