Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Not a moral victory, of course, as there is no such thing. But it is a positive that they didn't quit and kept fighting.
    I was impressed with the comeback, and I'm still impressed with Huntley. If the lines were just a little better this season, we'd be a ranked football team. It is encouraging to see the passing game have some success without Carrington.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    2 fumbles
    4 INTs by Huntley
    1 INT off a Hail Mary pass on the last play by Troy W.

Add in a bunch of injuries on defense and no Carrington, and Utah still had a chance at the end.

Not a moral victory, of course, as there is no such thing. But it is a positive that they didn't quit and kept fighting.
    I love this team’s fight. I do think the future looks pretty bright.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We were the lesser team tonight (especially w all the injuries) but still had a chance. That at least was good to see.

Question: why not go for 2 after we scored the TD that cut the lead to 9 (before we kicked the extra point)? You have to get a two point conversion at some point, so why not try there? If you miss, you play differently knowing you need two scores, and if you make it you're down 7 and that gives you the option of going for 2 again when you score next time (and winning). Seems like a no-brainer.

Also, kudos to the d for making a lot of stops in tough situations tonight. We're still not getting pressure rushing 4, but we were effective overall in the defensive backfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Also, kudos to the d for making a lot of stops in tough situations tonight. We're still not getting pressure rushing 4, but we were effective overall in the defensive backfield.
    We held WSU 100 yards below their season average for total yards. Considering the 7 turnovers and missing starters, that's pretty impressive.

Seems like a no-brainer.
    A lot of people have written about that scenario in the past few years. They always agree with you. I think they are ignoring the psychology and momentum of football. You kick the extra point, and it keeps the pressure and drama high. It makes people act differently (like Mike Leach deciding to try to go long twice instead of running out the clock). I think the team down 8 has a whole different energy knowing they are only one score down.

Loved the fight in this team. Would have been very easy to pack it in after all the turnovers, especially early on.
    Lots of youth that will only get better. I like the future.
    The OL... I'm guess we just don't have the talent there this year.

Hopefully we can catch the Huskies on a letdown after their playoff hopes died.

We were the lesser team tonight (especially w all the injuries) but still had a chance. That at least was good to see.

Question: why not go for 2 after we scored the TD that cut the lead to 9 (before we kicked the extra point)? You have to get a two point conversion at some point, so why not try there? If you miss, you play differently knowing you need two scores, and if you make it you're down 7 and that gives you the option of going for 2 again when you score next time (and winning). Seems like a no-brainer.
    You may only get one more chance to score. If you go for 2 and don't get it, it is a two score game and you have no chance. The rule of thumb is that you don't go for two until you absolutely need to. IMO, Whit played it correctly both times.

I am tired of the 'Fire Whitt' bozos. I get the frustration at losing games, but can't they see the same positives I see? This team is close to breaking through and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I am tired of the 'Fire Whitt' bozos. I get the frustration at losing games, but can't they see the same positives I see? This team is close to breaking through and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.
    I haven't seen any of them lately. Are they out?

Whitt is in the top tier of Pac-12 coaches with Shaw and Petersen.

Leach won today but gave us two more chances to tie than a better coach would have.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I haven't seen any of them lately. Are they out?

Whitt is in the top tier of Pac-12 coaches with Shaw and Petersen.

Leach won today but gave us two more chances to tie than a better coach would have.
    Sorry, none of them are here. Facebook/Twitter/UteHub are full of them.

Sorry, none of them are here. Facebook/Twitter/UteHub are full of them.
    I have to assume all fan bases have people like this? I bet a few Mississippi State fans are calling for Mullen's job right now.

.....and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.
    Agreed.....cuz he'll be second string. My bold prediction. Jack Tuttle four year starter.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Agreed.....cuz he'll be second string. My bold prediction. Jack Tuttle four year starter.
    Any player good enough to start all four years will be gone after three.

And he will kill future QB recruiting during those three years.

In a non game play related note, the lack of the advertised fly over for Veterans Day was disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some questions;

how do they not look at targeting when he clearly hit him in the head (out of bounds penalty)?

We've been called for ineligible receiver more this year than the last 10 combined right?

Do we have a screen play in our playbook?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Falk was 40/69 for 311 yards. 4.5 YPA.

His YPA for his career is about 7.1

Utah played WSU well defensively. Our turnovers just killed us

(Huntley was 21/39 for 305)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Whitt fires Taylor, then the entire staff needs to go. Probably should send half of the AD staff out the door as well, including Chris Hill if he allows that to happen.

There is absolutely no way we should see a different OC next year.

If Whitt fires Taylor, then the entire staff needs to go. Probably should send half of the AD staff out the door as well, including Chris Hill if he allows that to happen.

There is absolutely no way we should see a different OC next year.
    If Kyle asks for or requests any major changes this offseason, he's opening the door wide open for Hill to demand some changes in the terms of his contract.

This conversation is taking a strange turn. I'm not sure why we are discussing Taylor's job security. Of course he'll be here next year. He'll be here the year after as well, and then he'll leave for a head coach job somewhere after we win the Pac-12.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    If Kyle asks for or requests any major changes this offseason, he's opening the door wide open for Hill to demand some changes in the terms of his contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This conversation is taking a strange turn. I'm not sure why we are discussing Taylor's job security. Of course he'll be here next year. He'll be here the year after as well, and then he'll leave for a head coach job somewhere after we win the Pac-12.
    Whitt's job security has to be tied to Taylor. If Taylor gets fired then Whitt needs to be the next one out the door, followed by whomever in the AD allows that chaos to happen.

But this entire discussion is academic. If Whitt is the HC, then Taylor is the OC.

People pushing for a new HC or OC after this year don't know enough about CFB to be taken seriously in any way.

So a question for the football minds here:

If Troy Taylor has an o-line that Utah recruited for one of its prior offenses — road graders, as UTEopia calls them — shouldn’t Taylor adjust his offense to match that group’s capabilities? Or is he already trying to do that?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So a question for the football minds here:

If Troy Taylor has an o-line that Utah recruited for one of its prior offenses — road graders, as UTEopia calls them — shouldn’t Taylor adjust his offense to match that group’s capabilities? Or is he already trying to do that?
    Joseph Silverzweig just Tweeted this eye popper out. Turns out road grading isn't our cup of tea either.

Edit: Has the code for embedding Tweets changed? I’ve had a hell of a time getting them to actually show up lately.

Anyway, here’s a screen shot.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 11-14-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Somebody just posted this on Youtube--Mighty Alaskan Ute calling in to Gunther defending Huntley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQNi...ature=youtu.be

P.s. gunther is a blowhard

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Somebody just posted this on Youtube--Mighty Alaskan Ute calling in to Gunther defending Huntley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQNi...ature=youtu.be

P.s. gunther is a blowhard
    That was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Joseph Silverzweig just Tweeted this eye popper out. Turns out road grading isn't our cup of tea either.

Edit: Has the code for embedding Tweets changed? I’ve had a hell of a time getting them to actually show up lately.

Anyway, here’s a screen shot.
    Silveerzweig followed up that tweet with these:

• Joseph Silverzweig@JSilverzweigNov 11More

What I like and find exciting about this Utah football team is that historical weaknesses are compensating for traditional strengths.Every year it’s “With these lines, we just need a QB and a secondary.” Now we’ve got them. Harding and Whit will have the lines working soon.

• Joseph Silverzweig@JSilverzweig2h2 hours agoMore

With all those lousy line numbers, all those extra TFLs and sacks, Utah’s taken only a .2 yards per play step back, in conference. Completion % is up 8 points. TDs are up. Explosive plays are up. Despite the line.I’m quite optimistic.

Joseph Silverzweig@JSilverzweig
      2h2 hours agoMore

• Joseph Silverzweig Retweeted Joseph Silverzweig
      My takeaway from these and other numbers, as well as my observations, is that judgments of any other offensive unit or scheme are premature. Much of the time, there's no way to tell what other players' assignments are or what the play call is.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Silveerzweig followed up that tweet with these:

• Joseph Silverzweig@JSilverzweigNov 11More

What I like and find exciting about this Utah football team is that historical weaknesses are compensating for traditional strengths.Every year it’s “With these lines, we just need a QB and a secondary.” Now we’ve got them. Harding and Whit will have the lines working soon.

• Joseph Silverzweig@JSilverzweig2h2 hours agoMore

With all those lousy line numbers, all those extra TFLs and sacks, Utah’s taken only a .2 yards per play step back, in conference. Completion % is up 8 points. TDs are up. Explosive plays are up. Despite the line.I’m quite optimistic.

Joseph Silverzweig@JSilverzweig
      2h2 hours agoMore

• Joseph Silverzweig Retweeted Joseph Silverzweig
      My takeaway from these and other numbers, as well as my observations, is that judgments of any other offensive unit or scheme are premature. Much of the time, there's no way to tell what other players' assignments are or what the play call is.
    I think that's all very encouraging.

--Yeats