Thread: Roy Moore and Alabama

Hybrid View

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Was it really that awful? I mean, he apologized. I'm not sure I buy the idea that someone's initial reaction to something is a window into their soul.

Anyway, he apologized. Not sure he will be forgiven. Like any politician, he's completely replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Was it really that awful? I mean, he apologized. I'm not sure I buy the idea that someone's initial reaction to something is a window into their soul.

Anyway, he apologized. Not sure he will be forgiven. Like any politician, he's completely replaceable.
    Chris Cillizza has become a drama queen on CNN. His favorite pastime now is writing the breakdowns of Trump’s tweets or things like Al Franken’s apology. Usually there are about 20 points he breaks down, 2-5 of them are relevant, and the rest are pretty infantile.

Unfortunately I fall for the clickbait each time when the headline is, “Things you need to understand about Trump’s Asian nation visits.” Then it is this crap.

All that being said, the apology sounds a lot like The Onion’s headline that said something like, “Al Franken vows to make up for sexual harassment during next 4 Senate terms.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the article, it was a crappy apology, but if there was no witness, or no other corroborating evidence - eg, victim told others about incident, soon after the event - then where are we with he said/she said allegations?

Body cams for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I agree with the article, it was a crappy apology
    I think criticizing apologies is something of a new American pastime. I'm glad the people close to me accept my apologies without picking them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think criticizing apologies is something of a new American pastime. I'm glad the people close to me accept my apologies without picking them apart.
    Could you post some of them here so we can critique them for you? I think you’d find the input quite valuable.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Could you post some of them here so we can critique them for you? I think you’d find the input quite valuable.
    I'm sorry, they aren't very good.

Project Veritas, the group behind many discredited videos, tried to sting the Washington Post, but got busted instead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.c8d840933b00

The Post did not publish an article based on her unsubstantiated account. When Post reporters confronted her with inconsistencies in her story and an Internet posting that raised doubts about her motivations, she insisted that she was not working with any organization that targets journalists.

But on Monday morning, Post reporters saw her walking into the New York offices of Project Veritas, an organization that targets the mainstream news media and left-leaning groups. The organization sets up undercover “stings” that involve using false cover stories and covert video recordings meant to expose what the group says is media bias.

James O’Keefe, the Project Veritas founder who was convicted of a misdemeanor in 2010 for using a fake identity to enter a federal building during a previous sting, declined to answer questions about the woman outside the organization’s offices on Monday morning shortly after the woman walked inside.

The whole interview is a train wreck, but this is priceless.

https://youtu.be/hqEA03v3OtQ?t=535

Yeah it was one of those "I'm not sorry, I'm only sorry I got caught" apologies. Lame & unbelievable.

I hope every single creep in politics gets called out, and, if warranted, charged with crimes. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone with a wife or daughters (or a mother they love and admire) could vote for anyone that has documented history of sexual harassment -- including Clinton (at minimum the second election), Trump in 2016, and now Moore and Franken. I'm sure many others will follow. Hillary falls under this umbrella as well as she enabled Bill's behavior, and, ruthlessly went after anyone who dared to threaten Bill's presidential ambitions. Absolutely no integrity at all.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.