Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Seems clear that the only way we could have made the tournament as an at large was by beating Arizona at least once. No other team in the conference really gave us a chance at a quality win.
    Beat Arizona in Tucson, and ASU in SLC, and we're in. That knocks USC down to third in league play, gives us a Q1 road win and another Q2 home win. We also dodge Oregon in the quarters, and get Oregon State instead. Yes, we likely get USC again, but losing to them wouldn't be a massive issue, and would boost Troy's resume. ASU and another team (UCLA? Syracuse?) gets left out, and Utah and USC get in.

Pac-12 has put together a task force to try and improve college basketball.......

In addition to a lot of the stuff that people talk about, I love the part of the proposal that seeks to make the often-shady AAU less relevant.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ges/419113002/

This is how I felt about the Penn St game.

I don’t know how concerned to say that college basketball has declined after watching Villanova tonight. Not only is Villanova the greatest 3 shooting team ever, they play defense like the Majerus Utes.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don’t know how concerned to say that college basketball has declined after watching Villanova tonight. Not only is Villanova the greatest 3 shooting team ever, they play defense like the Majerus Utes.
    Seriously? The Michigan Loyola game proves my point, as do about 50 other games in this tourney, as does Kansas. There are so many players in the nba that should be juniors or seniors and would make any tourney team a lot better I dont know how you can say otherwise. Its watered down.

Do you think any of these teams (with guys like Wagner and the pudgy Loyola freshman at center) could come within light years of the Alcindor, Walton, Worthy-Jordan, Ewing teams, or the Kentucky and Duke teams of the 1990's? I don't.

I don't think any of these teams could have competed with the 97 or 98 Utah teams.
    Last edited by concerned; 04-01-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Seriously? The Michigan Loyola game proves my point, as do about 50 other games in this tourney, as does Kansas. There are so many players in the nba that should be juniors or seniors and would make any tourney team a lot better I dont know how you can say otherwise. Its watered down.

Do you think any of these teams (with guys like Wagner and the pudgy Loyola freshman at center) could come within light years of the Alcindor, Walton, Worthy-Jordan, Ewing teams, or the Kentucky and Duke teams of the 1990's? I don't.

I don't think any of these teams could have competed with the 97 or 98 Utah teams.
    What Happened to College Hoops? Don’t Worry, the Kids Are All Right https://nyti.ms/2Gq8Llb
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Times have changed. Sport(s) has evolved. NCAA is no longer the same. Still, good basketball is good basketball, irrespective of who's playing. I just like well-played games.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

It is also what makes the Loyola's and the George Mason's possible: Senior laden teams that have played together against athletic teams that are young.

That's what makes it so unpredictable and fun.

i agree with you (U-Ute) and justaute wholeheartedly. times have changed and I enjoy watching the tourney immensely. But I just dont think the quality of play or players is what it was when great players were juniors and seniors.

A tweet I just saw:

For those, um, interested in these sorts of things: Villanova is currently favored by 7 points tonight over Michigan. Since the NCAA field expanded to 64 in 1985, teams favored by 7+ in the title game are 2-6 against the spread and have lot outright 4 times:

Last edited by concerned; 04-02-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    What Happened to College Hoops? Don’t Worry, the Kids Are All Right https://nyti.ms/2Gq8Llb
    https://media.giphy.com/media/13d2jHlSlxklVe/giphy.gif

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Watching the championship game tonight does leave me feeling a little wistful. I was there in San Antonio on that night 20 years ago.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Watching the championship game tonight does leave me feeling a little wistful. I was there in San Antonio on that night 20 years ago.
    Go Michigan.

Basketball would be served immensely by referees learning the art of the no call.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Go Michigan.
    Sorry, gotta go with Villanova. What college basketball should be.

--Yeats

Sorry, gotta go with Villanova. What college basketball should be.
    Huh?

There's only one blue chip recruit on either team, and he plays for nova. Plus, America loves the underdog.

I'm still bummed we were robbed of duke/nova. I really like that match up for the blue devils.

2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

Huh?

There's only one blue chip recruit on either team, and he plays for nova. Plus, America loves the underdog.
    I’m thinking of academics and all that sort of thing. And yes, I love the underdog.

I do love watching DeVincenzo shoot. It’s a beautiful thing to watch.

--Yeats

I was there 20 years ago too. This is the most boring game I’ve ever watched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

No one saw this coming. Or did someone?

I feel bad for Michigan.

--Yeats

No one saw this coming. Or did someone?

I feel bad for Michigan.
    Everyone I read predicted an easy nova win. Michigan is outmanned in size, strength, talent, skill, and athleticism.

This game ends an amazing steak of entertaining title games spanning pretty much all sports.

I’m thinking of academics and all that sort of thing.
    I don't put much stock in university rankings, but Michigan is far above Villanova in terms of academic prestige.

I don't put much stock in university rankings, but Michigan is far above Villanova in terms of academic prestige.
    I meant the players' personal academics. Maybe I'm wrong but my impression is that the Nova players actually stay in school and graduate at a high rate. Maybe the Michigan players do too.

--Yeats

True.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I'm still bummed we were robbed of duke/nova. I really like that match up for the blue devils.
    You're the only one that wanted more DUKE.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    You're the only one that wanted more DUKE.
    He’s an alum so I forgive him for that. Mostly.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

you could argue that it was the worst final four ever, all 3 games were blowouts and more emphasis was placed on Sister Jean than anything

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    you could argue that it was the worst final four ever, all 3 games were blowouts and more emphasis was placed on Sister Jean than anything
    Makes sense. Lots of excitement early leads to blowouts later. It's a trade worth making. One Shining Moment should have ended with the upset montage instead of the title game.

Makes sense. Lots of excitement early leads to blowouts later. It's a trade worth making. One Shining Moment should have ended with the upset montage instead of the title game.
    Villanova is impressive though, to think that both of their title runs were comprised of recruiting classes outside the top 20

I am jealous.

Villanova is impressive though, to think that both of their title runs were comprised of recruiting classes outside the top 20

I am jealous.
    They're in the sweet spot. Great recruits (they've had a lot of 4/5 stars) but not good enough to be one-and-done's.

That's where everyone wants to be, but no one has a formula for it. So far, the strategy is to recruit the best players you can get and hope it all works out. Since the one-and-done era began, we've seen two types of champion: the one-and-done team and the experienced senior team (and some hybrids). But so far, all champs in this era are basketball power programs with McDonald's All-Americans on the roster.
    Last edited by sancho; 04-03-2018 at 09:51 AM.

to think that both of their title runs were comprised of recruiting classes outside the top 20
    Also, the recruiting class rankings don't include transfers. Paschall, probably the 2nd most valuable player for Nova in this tournament, was recruited out of Fordham. He was freshman of the year there, so I'm guessing he was a highly recruited transfer. Seems like these high profile transfers are going to be more and more important for power programs.