Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 123

Thread: 2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I don't think Gonzaga makes sense for the PAC12. However, it makes total sense for the MWC. It seems like Gonzaga and Few have been particularly frustrated by the lack of progress made by teams in the WCC. It appears they are ready to do something about it and they should.
    Gonzaga would be a good fit with all the good basketball playing Catholic schools in the Big East, if they weren't so far away. Just an upgraded version of the WCC.

  2. #62
    Mawien had 16 Points, 9 Rebs, and 3 blocks for Kansas St today in a win over TCU.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  3. #63
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,165
    Certainly a curious situation when he was at Utah.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Mawien had 16 Points, 9 Rebs, and 3 blocks for Kansas St today in a win over TCU.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Certainly a curious situation when he was at Utah.
    <dad joke> tough for Salt Lake City to compete with Manhattan </dad joke>

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Certainly a curious situation when he was at Utah.
    He's a good example of why we shouldn't want to run off young guys just because they don't play their first or even second year. Some guys just need time to develop and you have to trust that you have the staff in place to be able to develop them.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Article in SD Tribune about Gonzaga (and maybe BYU) to the MWC:

    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...307-story.html

    I've asked this before, but it's relevant again now. Should the Pac-12 add Gonzaga?

    Argument for: Gonzaga just played for the national title and has been ranked consistently for the past decade. Our conference, on the other hand, has struggled in basketball in a big way. Adding the Zags increases the strength of the conference.

    Arguments against: What if Gonzaga returns to mediocrity? What if Few leaves? We are stuck with a tiny school in Spokane. Scheduling would be awkward with 13 teams. For the snobs who care, Gonzaga doesn't fit the academic profile of the conference. Gonzaga to the Pac-12 makes recruiting for the other Pac-12 schools that much tougher.
    I don't want Gonzaga in the Pac-12. We've got the resources to get better from within; we don't need to bring in outside help to get us there. And Gonzaga ain't gonna make our TV deal better, either.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I don't want Gonzaga in the Pac-12. We've got the resources to get better from within; we don't need to bring in outside help to get us there. And Gonzaga ain't gonna make our TV deal better, either.
    As I think about, I think Gonzaga might be foolish to want out anyway. They've had top seeds, they are an absolute lock to go dancing every year, they played for the title last year. I mean, if it ain't broke...

    I also think BYU might benefit from Gonzaga leaving. BYU has always thrived in the big fish/little pond scenario. They could become a team with an annual free pass to the tournament.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    As I think about, I think Gonzaga might be foolish to want out anyway. They've had top seeds, they are an absolute lock to go dancing every year, they played for the title last year. I mean, if it ain't broke...

    I also think BYU might benefit from Gonzaga leaving. BYU has always thrived in the big fish/little pond scenario. They could become a team with an annual free pass to the tournament.
    They're already in a little pond. The WCC without Gonzaga would be a puddle.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    As I think about, I think Gonzaga might be foolish to want out anyway. They've had top seeds, they are an absolute lock to go dancing every year, they played for the title last year. I mean, if it ain't broke...

    I also think BYU might benefit from Gonzaga leaving. BYU has always thrived in the big fish/little pond scenario. They could become a team with an annual free pass to the tournament.
    Without Gonzaga, the WCC essentially becomes a guaranteed one bid league and the cougars battle SMC nearly every year for that one spot which would be 12-13, maybe higher in a good year.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Without Gonzaga, the WCC essentially becomes a guaranteed one bid league and the cougars battle SMC nearly every year for that one spot which would be 12-13, maybe higher in a good year.
    Right, I'm saying that's a better scenario for them than the MWC.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Right, I'm saying that's a better scenario for them than the MWC.
    I dont know that it is. At least in the MWC, you have a chance to earn your stripes and get a higher seed. In the WCC, yeah, you might make the tourney more often (and i emphasize might) but every time you do, youd likely be a sacrificial lamb.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I dont know that it is. At least in the MWC, you have a chance to earn your stripes and get a higher seed. In the WCC, yeah, you might make the tourney more often (and i emphasize might) but every time you do, youd likely be a sacrificial lamb.
    Gonzaga never would have become what it is in the MWC. It climbed out of nothing by being the only team in the WCC and getting an annual invite to the dance. Seeds were bad initially, but in time, they were getting decent OOC schedules and good seeds. Wouldn't BYU fill that role if Gonzaga leaves? Maybe it's harder now. Maybe with new conference schedules going to 20 games, it will be harder for mid majors.

  13. #73
    Gonzaga is the Little School That Could. It is hard to think of the biggest private school in the country, with relatively unlimited resources, fill that same niche.

  14. #74
    The Aggies take out Boise St.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  15. #75
    Mawien with 29 pnts vs Kansas today.

  16. #76
    ASU in, USC out.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  17. #77
    USC doesn't make the tournament, and ASU does. It's funny, but it's also completely insulting to the Pac-12.

  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    USC doesn't make the tournament, and ASU does. It's funny, but it's also completely insulting to the Pac-12.
    Or maybe it's the cold water in the face this league needs to step its game up.

  19. #79
    Two utes sure pegged Dureya

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Two utes sure pegged Dureya
    Was he fired? You gotta wonder if they make a serious run at Tommy this time, and not a mere cursory one like last time.

  21. #81

  22. #82
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,227
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Was he fired? You gotta wonder if they make a serious run at Tommy this time, and not a mere cursory one like last time.
    It would be good for Tommy to have D1 head coaching experience if he ever really wants the U of U job.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  23. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Was he fired? You gotta wonder if they make a serious run at Tommy this time, and not a mere cursory one like last time.
    I honestly don’t think Tommy has any aspirations to be the man


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I honestly don’t think Tommy has any aspirations to be the man


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the argument can be made that the entire coaching staff is just happy to do what they're doing, and they'll do whatever they can so as to not jeopardize it.

  25. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Or maybe it's the cold water in the face this league needs to step its game up.
    I guess it can be both insulting and awakening.

    I'm a spirit of the law person, so it's hard for me to see sports lock itself into letter of the law interpretations all the time. I think if we just allowed a little common sense wiggle room, all kinds of things - selection, replay, etc - would be better. Perhaps part of the problem is that people making decisions - execs, ADs, referees - are not strong on common sense.

    In this case, not one person outside of Tempe believes ASU has a better basketball team than USC. Ultimately, the point of all our criteria is to find the best teams for at-large bids. When we get married to the criteria instead of the bigger goal, we can sacrifice quality.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-11-2018 at 07:49 PM.

  26. #86
    Silver lining: we know now that there was nothing Utah could have done in terms of scheduling to make the tournament this season. If we hadn't played the two teams that dragged our RPI down, we'd have ended in the low 40's, which wouldn't have been enough with our lack of quality wins. USC set a new record for a high major, 34 RPI and out.

    Seems clear that the only way we could have made the tournament as an at large was by beating Arizona at least once. No other team in the conference really gave us a chance at a quality win.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-11-2018 at 07:55 PM.

  27. #87
    So it's March. Here are the regions:

    South: UVa, Cincy, Tennessee, Arizona, Kentucky. Thoughts: tough region. They didn't do UVa any favors here.

    West: Xavier, UNC, Michigan, Gonzaga, OSU. UNC with a great opportunity to return to a final four. 2nd weakest region.

    East: Villanova, Purdue, Texas Tech, Wichita, West Va. The weakest region. Purdue, TT, WSU is a pretty weak 2-3-4. The Shockers repeatedly played with fire against bad teams this season.

    Midwest: Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, Auburn, Clemson. Toughest region. Go Duke!

  28. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I guess it can be both insulting and awakening.

    I'm a spirit of the law person, so it's hard for me to see sports lock itself into letter of the law interpretations all the time. I think if we just allowed a little common sense wiggle room, all kinds of things - selection, replay, etc - would be better. Perhaps part of the problem is that people making decisions - execs, ADs, referees - are not strong on common sense.

    In this case, not one person outside of Tempe believes ASU has a better basketball team than USC. Ultimately, the point of all our criteria is to find the best teams for at-large bids. When we get married to the criteria instead of the bigger goal, we can sacrifice quality.
    USC got in the play-in game recently, maybe even just last year. Won two games. If ASU does likewise, this will quickly be forgotten.

    I think what's important to see, is that the Pac-12 will never be consistently on the same level as the ACC or Big East, or even the Big 12. As a result, you have to schedule up every year. And I don't care how young your team is -- they need to be rewarded when they arrive a year ahead of schedule. That happens a lot in college hoops.

  29. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It would be good for Tommy to have D1 head coaching experience if he ever really wants the U of U job.
    The local guys know that Utah State is a very tough job.

    Plus AD up at USU is going to hire national search firm to conduct a national search. He's going to CYA and get some up and comer using a "search firm" that will ultimately help him get his next AD job. Local contacts won't mean that much in this search.

  30. #90
    The 538 probability bracket is nonsense, but it's still fun:

    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...espn:ncb:index

    1-seeds by probability: UVA 18%, Nova 17%, Kansas 7%, Xavier 3%.

    2-seeds: Duke 10%, Cincy 6%, Purdue 5%, UNC 5%

    3-seeds: Michigan St 6%, Tennessee 2%, Michigan 2%, Texas Tech 1%

    4-seeds: Gonzaga 4%, Arizona 1%, WSU 1%, Auburn 0%

    5-seeds: WVU 2%, Kentucky 2%, Clemson 0%, Ohio St 0%

    Everyone else is at 0% (rounding down).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •