Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Pervalanche Thread (including the Jeff Epstein debacle)

Franken on the verge of retiring. Let's hope Conyers and Franken start a pervalanche of resignations, dems and repubs alike. Everyone must go!!!

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46212091&ni...ct-resignation
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    John Conyers bails out, a double standard is sensed: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...-caucus-281044
    Others agree:

It Took Way Too Long for Senate Democrats to Demand Franken’s Resignation

It is utterly absurd to suggest that the decision to call for Franken’s resignation was anything more than pure political calculus on the part of Senate Democrats. They relinquished their chance to virtue signal when they all but ignored the first six of Franken’s accusers. Every Democratic senator had ample information well before this afternoon indicating that Franken had engaged in incredibly inappropriate behavior — if not outright sexual battery.

And yet they all chose to remain silent or to offer non-answers when questioned about whether Franken should step down. Not one single senator suggested, until this afternoon, that, if the allegations were true, the Democrat ought to relinquish his seat. New York Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand — who is among the Democratic women being praised for taking a principled stand against sexual misconduct — was asked in late November whether Franken should resign following the allegations. “It’s his decision,” she replied, noncommittally.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I like Al Franken, but he has to go. If any other Democratic members of Congress have skeletons, they need to plan an exit strategy.

We need to appeal to the new generation of voters, those who see social issues far more differently than older conservatives. Disaffected Millennials are the key to the future, the energy found in Sanders rallies last year. (Forget Alabama - lost cause.)

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Trouble here in paradise:

In California, harassment scandals roil ruling Democrats

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...mocrats-306231

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Trouble here in paradise:

In California, harassment scandals roil ruling Democrats

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...mocrats-306231

I find it fascinating that the only politico accused of such conduct to escape unscathed is Trump. All of these people are resigning from office while a guy with credible evidence against him gets elected. It makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I find it fascinating that the only politico accused of such conduct to escape unscathed is Trump. All of these people are resigning from office while a guy with credible evidence against him gets elected. It makes no sense to me.
    Had the #metoo movement happened one year previously he probably wouldn't be in office. I will admit that the #metoo movement was a head in the sand moment for me. I had heard different stats (1 in 4 women to 1 in 5 women) and didn't know how much I believed them, particularly in my circles. Then to see many women that I love and care about coming out with different stories was a true eye-opener.

I had an interesting conversation with my mom. I remembered her telling a story of a former boss who didn't sexually harass her, but did make advances to a female a co-worker. When that got exposed, particularly while he was a married man, he was summarily dismissed. This would have been in the early 60s. It made us wonder how much shifting standards and views of sexuality over decades if not centuries have played into the hands of these sexual predators.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Had the #metoo movement happened one year previously he probably wouldn't be in office.
    I agree. Timing is everything in politics. How different things would be if Harvey Weinstein had been exposed in late 2015.

--Yeats

I agree. Timing is everything in politics. How different things would be if Harvey Weinstein had been exposed in late 2015.
    Yep. Hillary might not have ever won the election. On a more serious note, I doubt the #metoo movement happens without Trump’s election. Because he won the Presidency, it left many with the impression that he had gotten away with it, a feeling the left those with past experiences broody about the men in their lives that had gotten away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Yep. Hillary might not have ever won the election. On a more serious note, I doubt the #metoo movement happens without Trump’s election. Because he won the Presidency, it left many with the impression that he had gotten away with it, a feeling the left those with past experiences broody about the men in their lives that had gotten away with it.

I think there’s every reason to believe he’s a significant part of what ended up happening.

--Yeats

I think there’s every reason to believe he’s a significant part of what ended up happening.

Additional thought: When that Billy Bush video came out, I remember thinking it was just one of many events that would have destroyed the candidacy of any other candidate, starting with Trump saying McCain was not a hero because he was captured. All that stuff just bounced off Trump. I still haven’t decided if he’s the disease or the symptom. Maybe both.

--Yeats

Additional thought: When that Billy Bush video came out, I remember thinking it was just one of many events that would have destroyed the candidacy of any other candidate, starting with Trump saying McCain was not a hero because he was captured. All that stuff just bounced off Trump. I still haven’t decided if he’s the disease or the symptom. Maybe both.

This has to do with Hillary. Whether its Mysogony, familiarity or she was a just a really bad candidate that people did not like, rust belt voters and voters in parts of Florida voted for Trump.

I will say it again, Trump came within 20k votes of winning in Minnesota, a state that had not voted for a republican since before FDR. Rust belt folks looked at Hillary and determined that there was nothing she would ever do for them. They looked at Trump and thought, while it might not amount to anything, at least he is promising to do something for us and so they voted for Trump, all warts aside.

And if the dems can't crack that problem (or like Hillary, they can't get the black vote out, they will lose again).

All that stuff just bounced off Trump. I still haven’t decided if he’s the disease or the symptom. Maybe both.
    I vote both. Trump's a natural salesman, his schoolyard bully schtick matched well with a groundswell of anger among Trumpistas, and there were/still are fundamental problems facing a large part of the electorate.

Hillary was a dismal candidate, as well.

I think a lot of millennials learned a tough political lesson in 2016 after they bailed when Bernie wasn't the candidate. "It can always be worse. Much, much worse"

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    This has to do with Hillary. Whether its Mysogony, familiarity or she was a just a really bad candidate that people did not like, rust belt voters and voters in parts of Florida voted for Trump.

I will say it again, Trump came within 20k votes of winning in Minnesota, a state that had not voted for a republican since before FDR. Rust belt folks looked at Hillary and determined that there was nothing she would ever do for them. They looked at Trump and thought, while it might not amount to anything, at least he is promising to do something for us and so they voted for Trump, all warts aside.

And if the dems can't crack that problem (or like Hillary, they can't get the black vote out, they will lose again).
    This explains why Trump beat Clinton, but doesn't explain how he won the nomination. Imagine what Gary Hart is thinking.

This is funny.

WATCH: Paul Sorvino goes ‘full-on Goodfellas’ slamming ‘this pig’ Harvey Weinstein

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/...=twitchywidget

--Yeats

Interesting thoughts from Andrew Sullivan:

The Deneuve letter rightly insisted: “Rape is a crime. But insistent or clumsy flirting is not a crime, nor is gallantry a chauvinist aggression.” The manifesto observed the censorious Victorianism about some of the rhetoric, and the public invasion of private matters. But the French signatories also worried about due process: “This expedited justice already has its victims, men prevented from practicing their profession as punishment, forced to resign, etc., while the only thing they did wrong was touching a knee, trying to steal a kiss, or speaking about ‘intimate’ things at a work dinner, or sending messages with sexual connotations to a woman whose feelings were not mutual.” South Park, as usual, was ahead of the curve. Its season finale last month portrayed an office romance between PC Principal and a new character, Strong Woman. And at the mere suggestion of an affair between them, everyone instantly projectile vomits in disgust. What other response could there be to the idea of a relationship between co-workers?

And this week, rumors spread of the impending publication of an essay by Katie Roiphe in Harper’s magazine that might take a similarly skeptical tack. Some believed that Roiphe might even hold the instigator of the legendary Shitty Media Men list accountable, and that this person might thereby be subjected to online abuse. And so a Twitter campaign was launched, in a backlash-backlash, to preemptively stop the publication of an essay no one had actually read. One Twitter activist, Nicole Cliffe, went further: “If you have a piece in the hopper over at @Harpers, ask your editor if the Roiphe piece is happening. If it is, I will pay you cash for what you’d lose by yanking it.” This strikes me as a new development for the social-justice left: They now believe in suppressing free speech — even before they know its content! It also strikes me as ominous for journalism as a whole. When journalists themselves wage campaigns to suppress the writing of other journalists, and intend to destroy a magazine for not toeing their ideological line, you can see how free speech truly is on the line. Why not simplify this and publish a blacklist of writers whose work, based on previous ideological transgressions, cannot and should not be published?
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-of-metoo.html

The problem with the Deneuve line of thinking is that we are not talking about just flirting. It's the power imbalance that makes the behavior wrong.

--Yeats

A blast from the past.

https://youtu.be/59SyP76K-G8

--Yeats

The worm turns?

Morgan Freeman’s Legal Claims Against CNN for ‘Scandal-Mongering’ Actually Look Pretty Strong

https://lawandcrime.com/celebrity/mo...pretty-strong/

--Yeats

The worm turns?

Morgan Freeman’s Legal Claims Against CNN for ‘Scandal-Mongering’ Actually Look Pretty Strong

https://lawandcrime.com/celebrity/mo...pretty-strong/

If this person has indeed exaggerated or fabricated her accusations every woman should be upset with her. It is this exact stuff that undermines that #metoo movement and pushes real victims back into the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    If this person has indeed exaggerated or fabricated her accusations every woman should be upset with her. It is this exact stuff that undermines that #metoo movement and pushes real victims back into the dark.
    This is McCarthyism all over again at this point. The era of innocent until proven guilty is gone-due to some horrible scumbags, social media and a lot of angry women.

One of my friends' kid's girlfriend continues to post about how unbelievably bad boys behave. She is dating one of the nicest boys on this planet. I'm not sure what is driving her but it is a real odd look. But that's 2018.

Morning Joe Panel: This ‘Is the End of Bill Clinton’s Life As a Public Figure’

NBC reporter Craig Melvin asked Clinton if he ever apologized to Lewinsky, which led Clinton to become defensive and talk about how he paid a steep cost for his actions. Clinton and Lewinsky, then a White House intern 27 years his junior, had a series of sexual encounters between 1995 and 1997, culminating in a political scandal that rocked the administration.

“And so what you saw there, I think is the end of Bill Clinton’s life as a public figure in this country,” MSNBC political commentator Steve Schmidt said. “Because of that interview I don’t think he’s campaigning anywhere ever again unless he can clean it up and fix it pretty quickly.”

Anchor Joe Scarborough said if Clinton wants to be on the campaign trail in 2018, he will need to take responsibility for his actions.

“If he wants to go out and campaign in 2018 which he should, do you own up to the fact that Monica Lewinsky’s life has been ruined. That you still have Juanita Broaddrick suffering what she went through,” Scarborough said.
    http://freebeacon.com/politics/morni...ats-dont-need/

--Yeats

Both Clinton’s need to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Both Clinton’s need to go away.
    Don't you mean all three Clintons?

Fact-Checking Bill Clinton’s meltdown on NBC’s ‘Today Show’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nl_most&wpmm=1

--Yeats

“I would be happy to give [Clinton] a blowjob just to thank him for keeping abortion legal. I think American women should be lining up with their presidential kneepads on to show their gratitude for keeping the theocracy off our backs.”

--Time magazine White House correspondent Nina Burleight in 1998.

Times have changed.

--Yeats

Fact-Checking Bill Clinton’s meltdown on NBC’s ‘Today Show’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nl_most&wpmm=1
    Colbert to Clinton: ‘Why Were You Surprised’ to Be Asked About #MeToo?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/a...sky-metoo.html

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Colbert to Clinton: ‘Why Were You Surprised’ to Be Asked About #MeToo?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/a...sky-metoo.html
    Did he really think he could go out on a book tour in the current environment and not be asked about #metoo? If so that reveals a surprising level of tone deafness and lack of insight.

--Yeats

If so that reveals a surprising level of tone deafness and lack of insight.
    Ironically, that appears to run rampant among most political leaders.

Feminism Died in 1998 when Hillary allowed henchlings and Democrats to demonize Monica as an unbalanced stalker, and when Gloria Steinem defended Mr. Clinton against Kathleen Willey and Paula Jones by saying he had merely made clumsy passes, then accepted rejection, so there was no sexual harassment involved. As to his dallying with an emotionally immature 21-year-old, Ms. Steinem noted, ''Welcome sexual behavior is about as relevant to sexual harassment as borrowing a car is to stealing one.''
    -- Maureen Dowd, 2003, "Win One for the Groper."

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/05/o...he-groper.html

--Yeats