Thread: The Pervalanche Thread (including the Jeff Epstein debacle)

Hybrid View

Trouble here in paradise:

In California, harassment scandals roil ruling Democrats

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...mocrats-306231

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Trouble here in paradise:

In California, harassment scandals roil ruling Democrats

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...mocrats-306231

I find it fascinating that the only politico accused of such conduct to escape unscathed is Trump. All of these people are resigning from office while a guy with credible evidence against him gets elected. It makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I find it fascinating that the only politico accused of such conduct to escape unscathed is Trump. All of these people are resigning from office while a guy with credible evidence against him gets elected. It makes no sense to me.
    Had the #metoo movement happened one year previously he probably wouldn't be in office. I will admit that the #metoo movement was a head in the sand moment for me. I had heard different stats (1 in 4 women to 1 in 5 women) and didn't know how much I believed them, particularly in my circles. Then to see many women that I love and care about coming out with different stories was a true eye-opener.

I had an interesting conversation with my mom. I remembered her telling a story of a former boss who didn't sexually harass her, but did make advances to a female a co-worker. When that got exposed, particularly while he was a married man, he was summarily dismissed. This would have been in the early 60s. It made us wonder how much shifting standards and views of sexuality over decades if not centuries have played into the hands of these sexual predators.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Had the #metoo movement happened one year previously he probably wouldn't be in office.
    I agree. Timing is everything in politics. How different things would be if Harvey Weinstein had been exposed in late 2015.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I agree. Timing is everything in politics. How different things would be if Harvey Weinstein had been exposed in late 2015.
    Yep. Hillary might not have ever won the election. On a more serious note, I doubt the #metoo movement happens without Trump’s election. Because he won the Presidency, it left many with the impression that he had gotten away with it, a feeling the left those with past experiences broody about the men in their lives that had gotten away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Yep. Hillary might not have ever won the election. On a more serious note, I doubt the #metoo movement happens without Trump’s election. Because he won the Presidency, it left many with the impression that he had gotten away with it, a feeling the left those with past experiences broody about the men in their lives that had gotten away with it.

I think there’s every reason to believe he’s a significant part of what ended up happening.

--Yeats

I think there’s every reason to believe he’s a significant part of what ended up happening.

Additional thought: When that Billy Bush video came out, I remember thinking it was just one of many events that would have destroyed the candidacy of any other candidate, starting with Trump saying McCain was not a hero because he was captured. All that stuff just bounced off Trump. I still haven’t decided if he’s the disease or the symptom. Maybe both.

--Yeats

The state is in the best of hands.

California Democratic Party paid $380,000 to settle sexual misconduct suit against former chair Bauman

The California Democratic Party has spent more than $800,000 on legal costs stemming from three lawsuits alleging discrimination and sexual misconduct by former chair Eric Bauman.The sum includes more than $430,000 in attorney’s fees alone, including payments to law firms representing Bauman.

According to a Times review of state and federal campaign finance filings, the state party has paid $378,348 in legal settlements to Alton Wang, William Rodriguez-Kennedy and Kate Earley. The trio originally filed suit in January, alleging a culture of harassment and sexual misconduct that was “well-known and apparently tolerated” by top officials.

“Our party is at its best when it lives up to our values. One of those values is treating people fairly,” the current party chair Rusty Hicks said in a statement to The Times. “We have reached an equitable settlement that begins the process of getting back to the work 9 million California Democrats expect from us.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-11/california-democratic-party-paid-300-000-to-settle-sexual-misconduct-suit-against-former-chair-bauman

--Yeats