Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I do understand Larry's post-game rant about the officiating and having your best players have to sit with 4 or 5 fouls.
    One of Collette's 5 fouls was a really dumb, really real foul (his 4th - on a rebound). The others were nit-picky or worse. That, more than anything else, is how I'll remember Collette. That's his legacy. I've never seen another player that is such a magnet for questionable, meaningless calls.

There were long stretches of the game where every contact resulted in a foul call. Then there were stretches of referee sanctioned jungle ball. Back and forth, inconsistent officiating. In other words, a typical college basketball game.

Our offense was night-and-day different with Collette on the bench last night. For some reason, he was the piece that was making it all work.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    One of Collette's 5 fouls was a really dumb, really real foul (his 4th - on a rebound). The others were nit-picky or worse. That, more than anything else, is how I'll remember Collette. That's his legacy. I've never seen another player that is such a magnet for questionable, meaningless calls.
    He may be a magnet for quesitonable calls, but he also commits brain dead fouls. He is our only reliable inside scorer, and you cant overestimate how important that is. But he is the worst rebounding big man I think I have ever seen, and this was the worst rebounding team I think I have ever seen. Has any team ever given up so many offensive rebounds? Maybe it is the zone in part, but Collette has absolutely no instinct for the ball (and cant jump).

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He may be a magnet for quesitonable calls, but he also commits brain dead fouls.
    Yes he does. And he's a poor rebounder. And he's a good post player. But it's the questionable calls thing that really defines him.

Everything that needs to be said has been said. I'll point out one other instance in which we got conservative.

Deep in the 2nd half -- under 6 minutes -- we've worked the clock down to under 15. Rawson is on the right wing, Barefield in the corner. Under 10, Rawson has an open 3. He passes it to Barefield, who looks to drive and then takes a 3 off the dribble with under 5 on the clock. It misses. I think under 10 seconds, we pass up on good shots in hopes of something better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I can't help but think in the first half, Rawson takes the open 3 instead of passing to Sed.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

There were long stretches of the game where every contact resulted in a foul call. Then there were stretches of referee sanctioned jungle ball. Back and forth, inconsistent officiating. In other words, a typical college basketball game.

Our offense was night-and-day different with Collette on the bench last night. For some reason, he was the piece that was making it all work.
    I heard a post-game quote from him where he said that he just wasn't going to not play in this game. Sort of a, not gonna be denied...and he played like that and flat out dominated Oregon's bigs (rebounding aside - as concerned rightly points out). I wish that some of our other guys had come into the game with that attitude.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.