Thread: Beating the man bun twins - Nevada @ utah

Beating the man bun twins - Nevada @ utah

Playing well so far. This team is ok when barefield shows up
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Pac12 refs suck
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

That last foul on pvd was shit

Down 1 at half I'll take that

Nevada is a second half team

Pac12 refs are so damn shitty

Wheels are coming off now

Chuck jones actually hit a big shot

First game I’ve been able to attend.

Nice first half, refs didn’t help, we stayed in for awhile but Nevada was just too talented, too experienced, too long for us.

I like Gach, who could become an interesting point guard (but I don’t think he scored a single point); Timmy Allen has promise; Tillman has flashes of brilliance; Barefield scored half our points, but had 5 turnovers and 0 assists; Jayce is a stiff offensively, and so is Topalawhatchacallit.

I’m not sure what hopes to pin on which players for the future. I was hard to see anyone on the team who can be counted on to finish at the rim.

The Wolfpack was also classless at the end. I hate that. This was magnified for us, because we had a very loud and obnoxious Nevada fan 2 rows behind us. Whoever has those seats never attends games and always seems to sell his tickets to an opposing school’s fans.

Anyway, it was fun to be there, all in all.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-29-2018 at 03:53 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

First game for me too this season.

There are some pieces to this team and they played well enough to create some optimism for the Pac-12. Until today, I've assumed we'd have a losing record in league play but I think the ceiling's somewhat high for this team - perhaps 12 even 13 wins. There's also enough evidence to suggest a basement-like total of five or six wins. Given how poor the league looks, I thing we're closer to the optimistic end.

My biggest worry is how poor the bigs play. They are not tough - Johnson included, and they do not defend well. Nevada's big man was really good but Johnson and Topalovic didn't even belong on the floor with him. I don't know how the league looks at the power forward and center positions; but any team with good size and strength at those positions is going to be a problem for us. Colorado's front line is going to be a problem for this team but I haven't seen anyone else.

Like LA, I like Gach and Allen. I'm sure we'll continue to see good Sed and bad Sed. Tillman was terrific today. Gach wasn't aggressive enough in the first half. I loved his three-pointer and assist to Charles Jones late. We'll need more of that in league play.

Back to the bigs - just a complete shame that Johnson is so poor of a player as a junior. Tillman hit him with a beautiful entry bounce pass today. His move was to try and blindly throw it backwards into the hoop. He'd sealed his man beautifully but had no idea how to score the basketball.

Our turnovers to start the second half and a couple of just horrible calls by the officials let Nevada jump to the double digit lead to start the second half. Take just one of those factors away and I think this game goes to the wire.
    Last edited by Utebiquitous; 12-29-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Grammar

Can’t have a 24 year old senior starter go scoreless. Just turn Gach loose & he makes mistakes, but does not repeat them. He plays better Defense.

If Lahat is ready—play him, he needs the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Can’t have a 24 year old senior starter go scoreless. Just turn Gach loose & he makes mistakes, but does not repeat them. He plays better Defense.

If Lahat is ready—play him, he needs the experience.
    I've been banging this drum for weeks now. As long as Lahat is cleared physically before February you need to get him out there. Utah's bigs are so bad. He can't be any worse and needs to get experience to improve Utah's prospects for next season as part of a young core with Gach, Allen, Battin and Tillman.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We got the "one in every fifteen games" performance from sed to keep it close.

This was Tillmans best game of the season. It was the Tillman from last season.

Nevada is long, can shoot, and rebounds. We can't beat that.

This Utah team can't rebound at all.
    We outrebounded Nevada 39-30, 15-13 on the offensive end.

What this Utah team cannot do is defend. Take away the sub-300 dreck, and we're giving up 78 PPG. Only Giacoletti's last year has a team that can even touch us for defensive ineptitude over the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We outrebounded Nevada 39-30, 15-13 on the offensive end.

What this Utah team cannot do is defend. Take away the sub-300 dreck, and we're giving up 78 PPG. Only Giacoletti's last year has a team that can even touch us for defensive ineptitude over the last 30 years.
    According to the NCAA statistics site we are 281st (out of 351) in 3pt% defense. That can't be good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    According to the NCAA statistics site we are 281st (out of 351) in 3pt% defense. That can't be good, right?
    We saw a lot of uncontested 3-point shots from Nevada’s best shooters yesterday. To be fair, a few of those were simply great shots.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We saw a lot of uncontested 3-point shots from Nevada’s best shooters yesterday. To be fair, a few of those were simply great shots.
    Nope. We play more zone than we ever have because our man defense is atrocious (as the last few minutes showed when we went man to try to stop them from running down the clock). A lot of those shots wouldn't be there if we could play decent man to man.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Nope. We play more zone than we ever have because our man defense is atrocious (as the last few minutes showed when we went man to try to stop them from running down the clock). A lot of those shots wouldn't be there if we could play decent man to man.
    I think you’re right. I simply recall 2 shots that I don’t think anyone could have defended. Most of the rest were simply uncontested.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We heard the same in Ray's last year ... "We can't catch a break ... State U. had it's best 3-point shooting game against us, and we were in their face on a lot of those attempts."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We heard the same in Ray's last year ... "We can't catch a break ... State U. had it's best 3-point shooting game against us, and we were in their face on a lot of those attempts."
    I am not offering Nevada‘s great shooting as any kind of excuse. I just wanted to be fair. I think I saw two shots they made that were amazing NBA-distance treys that would’ve been hard for anyone to defend. To be clear, most of their treys came from open looks we gave them.

--Yeats