Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Ducks down to the Cougars at the half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extra innings.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hey, Vegas had OSU as the favorite. Can't pat yourself too hard on the back.
    Oh yes I can! That's what message boards were invented for!

So it is us vs. the Ducks. They played as bad a game as I've seen them play last night and should be tired today...hope we can take advantage of that.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Just like real life, I’m fearful of the ducks. Dana Altman always seems to have our number.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Just like real life, I’m fearful of the ducks. Dana Altman always seems to have our number.

Yeah - Oregon makes me nervous as well. We're not going to be able to settle for bad 3s against them. When they started out cold last night my thought was...man, a good team might have this game at about 28-4 right now. As it was Wazzu just completely choked in that game. To run clock in a one possession game and then get a bad shot...come on big Ern, you can do better than that! We will really need to get big minutes from Tillman, Seeley, and Jayce if Collette can't go. Like most Ute fans, I'm to the point where I think we probably need to win the tourney to get into the big dance. To that end, last night I shifted my focus mentally to needing wins over Oregon and USC, to just needing to get to the final and give ourselves a chance, which is why I was hoping Wazzu would pull it out, but alas...Ernie gonna Ernie.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Arizona up 35 - 33 at the half over the Buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Arizona up 35 - 33 at the half over the Buffs.
    Cats pull away in the second half, await the winner of Stanford/UCLA.

The Trojans tamed the Beavers without much drama.

Nothing like a nice 7 minute field goal drought. Van Dyke to the rescue.

Yup...PVD has hit his shots. Rawson has not. Still can't believe Jayce was a 4* recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Nothing like a nice 7 minute field goal drought. Van Dyke to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Yup...PVD has hit his shots. Rawson has not. Still can't believe Jayce was a 4* recruit.
    Jayce gave up some offensive boards early and then really upped his energy on the defensive glass (and defense in general). It he just keeps doing that, he'll have earned his scholarship tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Doesn’t finish well. We’d have 6 more points if he could.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Agree. He's stepped up in the 2nd half, as did Rawson -- gotta keep up the energy.

Jayce gave up some offensive boards early and then really upped his energy on the defensive glass (and defense in general). It he just keeps doing that, he'll have earned his scholarship tonight.

Such a big difference with/without Collette on the court for our inside-out game.

Collette with the fire. He's gonna get T'd up for taunting if he's not careful.

Loss of poise in the final minute really hurt us.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Hello, NIT. I guess Barefield was the guy LK wanted to have the ball in his hands at the end. I don’t get that, since he seemed to be forcing shots and making bad decisions all night, but whatever.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Loss of poise in the final minute really hurt us.
    On the last shot, yes. Bibbins was open in the corner, waiting for the ball.

The charge/block decision against Rawson was the play of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Hello, NIT. I guess Barefield was the guy LK wanted to have the ball in his hands at the end. I don’t get that, since he seemed to be forcing shots and making bad decisions all night, but whatever.
    I thought we wanted to inbound it to Bibbins. They denied, and we went to Barefield instead. I don't think that's anything close to what was drawn up.

I thought we wanted to inbound it to Bibbins. They denied, and we went to Barefield instead. I don't think that's anything close to what was drawn up.
    You’re probably right.

--Yeats

I guess I’d rather lose to Oregon than lose to USC.

Well that sucked. Really felt like we took the exact same approach that Wazzu took last night. I just don't know how you don't attack a little bit more and try to get some good looks for guys like Bibbins. Our guys also did quite a bit of talking to come up so small in the last few minutes. This is something we really, really need to work on moving forward.

So we're on to the NIT, and while I'm sure that some people won't watch or whatever, I would hope that Larry opens up the rotation again and gets time for guys like Seeley and some of the other young guys on the team.

Also, the officiating was brutal down the stretch.

Watching the last few seconds again it looks like the play might have been to get the ball to Bibbins for a corner three for the win. We were not going to win in OT so I like the call. Justin was wide open. For whatever reason Barefield decided to go for the layup. Not the first bad decision he made last night.

--Yeats

Having had some time to sleep on it, that result still sucked. There really was just no reason that we should lose that game, and that's pretty frustrating. I do understand Larry's post-game rant about the officiating and having your best players have to sit with 4 or 5 fouls. And yes, McIntosh put us defensively in a bad spot...he threw his body into our guys and not once did he get called for the offensive foul. So what do you do?

Also, let's not pretend like Wooten is Mutumbo. Oregon got baskets last night because they were aggressive and attacked. We took the opposite approach and it cost us the game. Even on the possession where Rawson took a deep three, he had with about 13 seconds on the shot clock a good look from the free throw line that he passed up, and the result was the deep three. We can't do that. We gotta take the good looks when we get them.

Ultimately, Sed should've made the extra pass to Bibbins, but whatever, that shot is no guarantee, but boy it would've been nice to see if he would've put it in.

My guess is that we're looking at a 3-4 seed in the NIT with one or two possible games at home. I hope we show better than we have the last two years and, as I said last night, I hope the young guys play.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I do understand Larry's post-game rant about the officiating and having your best players have to sit with 4 or 5 fouls.
    One of Collette's 5 fouls was a really dumb, really real foul (his 4th - on a rebound). The others were nit-picky or worse. That, more than anything else, is how I'll remember Collette. That's his legacy. I've never seen another player that is such a magnet for questionable, meaningless calls.

There were long stretches of the game where every contact resulted in a foul call. Then there were stretches of referee sanctioned jungle ball. Back and forth, inconsistent officiating. In other words, a typical college basketball game.

Our offense was night-and-day different with Collette on the bench last night. For some reason, he was the piece that was making it all work.

One of Collette's 5 fouls was a really dumb, really real foul (his 4th - on a rebound). The others were nit-picky or worse. That, more than anything else, is how I'll remember Collette. That's his legacy. I've never seen another player that is such a magnet for questionable, meaningless calls.
    He may be a magnet for quesitonable calls, but he also commits brain dead fouls. He is our only reliable inside scorer, and you cant overestimate how important that is. But he is the worst rebounding big man I think I have ever seen, and this was the worst rebounding team I think I have ever seen. Has any team ever given up so many offensive rebounds? Maybe it is the zone in part, but Collette has absolutely no instinct for the ball (and cant jump).

There were long stretches of the game where every contact resulted in a foul call. Then there were stretches of referee sanctioned jungle ball. Back and forth, inconsistent officiating. In other words, a typical college basketball game.

Our offense was night-and-day different with Collette on the bench last night. For some reason, he was the piece that was making it all work.
    I heard a post-game quote from him where he said that he just wasn't going to not play in this game. Sort of a, not gonna be denied...and he played like that and flat out dominated Oregon's bigs (rebounding aside - as concerned rightly points out). I wish that some of our other guys had come into the game with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He may be a magnet for quesitonable calls, but he also commits brain dead fouls.
    Yes he does. And he's a poor rebounder. And he's a good post player. But it's the questionable calls thing that really defines him.