Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, the conference may not be good, but at least it's interesting.

We have UW, Utah, UCLA, CU, ASU, Oregon, and OSU all in the 3-4, 4-3, 4-4 camp. That's gotta get resolved somehow. We have Stanford at 5-2 with the best wins outside of Zona, but they've only played two on the road. We have USC in 2nd place, but they haven't exactly convinced anyone.

All we really know is that Arizona is on top, and Cal/WSU are not good. Pretty interesting situation this far into the season.
    We seem to have a similar problem in football. Because there is not one dominant team, and seemingly some balance, the conference gets the not good label. Not sure that's what it is, but you're right, we'll see some separation over the second half of the conference season. I tend to think that Stanford comes back to earth a little, and ASU will probably end up in the top four, but Stanford seems like a team built to make a run in the conference tourney.

Games this week:

Utah/Colorado @ Arizona/ASU
    Cal/Stanford @ USC/UCLA
    Wazzu @ Washington
    OSU @ Oregon
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

So, the conference may not be good, but at least it's interesting. We have UW, Utah, UCLA, CU, ASU, Oregon, and OSU all in the 3-4, 4-3, 4-4 camp. That's gotta get resolved somehow. We have Stanford at 5-2 with the best wins outside of Zona, but they've only played two on the road. We have USC in 2nd place, but they haven't exactly convinced anyone. All we really know is that Arizona is on top, and Cal/WSU are not good. Pretty interesting situation this far into the season.
    Stanford has only played 2 conf road games (the Washingtons). They also hit a 3/4 of court shot to beat USC. They are a prime candidate to lose 6 of their last 9.@Socal this week - oregons @ home @ mountain schools @ Cal Wash @ home @arizona schools
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Utes have a real shot to make a big time move in the second half off the conference schedule. After this week, they've got 5 of their last 7 at home and their lone road swing is the Washington schools.

Conversely, both USC and UCLA have tough road trips in the second half of the season (Arizona schools and Mountain schools). Likewise, Stanford has a 5-4 road/home split after this week having to go to the Arizona schools and the mountain schools as well.

The Oregon schools have a 4-4 home/road split down the stretch, but host the Arizona schools.

ASU will have 5 of 7 at home after this week and will also look to make a big push. Should be interesting.

If the Utes could somehow manage to get a win in Boulder this week, things could get real interesting.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Utes have a real shot to make a big time move in the second half off the conference schedule. After this week, they've got 5 of their last 7 at home and their lone road swing is the Washington schools.

Conversely, both USC and UCLA have tough road trips in the second half of the season (Arizona schools and Mountain schools). Likewise, Stanford has a 5-4 road/home split after this week having to go to the Arizona schools and the mountain schools as well.

The Oregon schools have a 4-4 home/road split down the stretch, but host the Arizona schools.

ASU will have 5 of 7 at home after this week and will also look to make a big push. Should be interesting.

If the Utes could somehow manage to get a win in Boulder this week, things could get real interesting.
    Utes need to:

* Split with Colorado
    * Win 3 of 4 at home against Stanford/Cal/USC/UCLA
    * Split Washington/Wazzu

I have a good feeling that we can split (if not sweep) the Washington roadie, which is good because I don't have a good feeling about the USC/UCLA home stand. Any home losses need to be made up for on the road. I admit I don't know squat about Stanford or Cal. Glad we have them at home. We have owned Stanford here. Cal has always been a tough matchup because of size and similarities, but I don't know how things have changed since Monty left.

If we can go 5-3 in the last 8, that should push us close to being in the top 1/3 of the league. It probably means we end up in the 4/5 game, but as long as it isn't against Colorado or Oregon, I like our chances to getting to the second round of the tournament. If we do that, I think we give ourselves a chance of squeaking into the NCAA.

Pac-12 considering a 20 game conference schedule. Yes, please.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/...ch-more-sense/

Just make it 22 and a true round robin.
    the two extra conference games would be played in the middle of December

buh bye LHM Beehive Round Robin Bruhaha or whatever that thing was called!

They should let the travel partners play a home and home in the same weekend. Thursday @ Coloradao, Sunday @ Utah. Badabing badaboom, free up another weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    They should let the travel partners play a home and home in the same weekend. Thursday @ Coloradao, Sunday @ Utah. Badabing badaboom, free up another weekend.
    This is how the women's side has done it every year outside of the first year of Pac-12 play. Makes a ton of sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    This is how the women's side has done it every year outside of the first year of Pac-12 play. Makes a ton of sense to me.
    DNF for Pac 12 Commish!

Ok fine...DNF for Pac 12 Scheduling Czar!

Road TEAM Road Home
    +4 Arizona (4-1) (5-0)
    +2 USC (3-1) (5-1)
    +2 Washington (3-2) (3-1)
    0 Stanford (2-2) (4-2)
    0 UCLA (1-3) (5-1)
    0 Oregon (2-2) (3-2)
    +1 Utah (3-3) (2-2)
    0 Arizona State (2-4) (2-2)
    0 Colorado (1-5) (3-1)
    -2 Oregon State (0-4) (3-2)
    -3 Washington State (0-5) (1-3)
    -4 California (1-4) (0-5)

The three seed in Vegas is up for grabs, and there are 5-6 teams in the running. That's what's at stake for Utah tonight.
    Yep. Would be really nice to get into the group of 6 win teams at this point.

ASU's path to the dance is getting harder and harder.

That 3 seed is a real prize because all of the teams involved (except ASU) need to win the tournament in Vegas in order to dance in March. The 2/3 seeds have the best chance at not having to play Arizona.
    still too early to predict that, I think UW and Utah and a couple of others can still play their way in without winning the tournament

I think we can safely say that zona is going win the league and wazzu, cal and osu are going to be 10-12
    At the end of the weekend usc is 8-3 stan & ucla 7-4 wash 7-4, oregon 5-5 Colo utah and asu 5-6

Oregon plays wash schools twice, at socal home vs ariz schools. I bet they 4-4 so 9-9 for year

Stanford is @ mtn schools, at cal, wash at home at zonas I think they 4-3 and get 11-7

Ucla is @ arizs home vs ore @ mtn @ usc i think they go 3-4 so 10-8

Wash is @ Oregon's mtn @ home @ no cal oregons at home 4-4 to be 11-7

Since we are 5-6 here's my prediction depending on wins
    7-0 3rd place
    6-1 4th place (assuming loss isn't to Stanford)
    5-2 Maybe 5th
    4-3 6 or 7th

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 02-04-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

UW. Wow. Last second shot blocked, rebound, new last second shot goes in for the win.

Funny to think of Romar on the Zona bench thinking about how much better UW's new coach is.
    Nice win for our resume!

This upcoming week will be interesting. 4 of the top 5 teams in the league are on the road, and the next four that are lurking are all at home.

Road Pac12 TEAM Road Home
    +3 (9-3) Arizona (4-2) (5-1)
    +2 (8-4) USC (3-3) (5-1)
    +1 (8-4) UCLA (2-3) (6-1)
    +2 (7-4) Washington (3-3) (4-1)
    0 (7-5) Stanford (2-3) (5-2)
    0 (6-5) Oregon (2-3) (4-2)
    +1 (6-6) Utah (3-4) (3-2)
    +1 (6-6) Arizona State (3-4) (3-2)
    0 (6-6) Colorado (1-5) (5-1)
    -2 (4-7) Oregon State (0-5) (4-2)
    -4 (2-10) California (1-5) (1-5)
    -4 (1-10) Washington State (0-6) (1-4)

Do we finally have separation between a tier 1 (Zona, UCLA, USC, UW) and tier 2 (Stanford, Oregon, Utah, ASU, CU)?

At least two more losses this week to teams either ahead of us or tied with us.

Stanford vs Colorado is a huge game
    Stanford wins they're in 2nd, they lose they drop to 8th.

If Colorado wins and all other home teams (all favorites) win:

Pac12 TEAM
    (10-3) Arizona
    (8-5) USC
    (8-5) UCLA
    (7-5) Washington
    (7-5) Oregon
    (7-6) Utah
    (7-6) Arizona State
    (7-6) Stanford
    (7-6) Colorado
    (5-7) Oregon State
    (2-11) California
    (1-11) Washington State

If Stanford wins and all other home teams (all favorites) win
    Pac12 TEAM
    (10-3) Arizona
    (8-5) Stanford
    (8-5) USC
    (8-5) UCLA
    (7-5) Washington
    (7-5) Oregon
    (7-6) Utah
    (7-6) Arizona State
    (6-7) Colorado
    (5-7) Oregon State
    (2-11) California
    (1-11) Washington State

You know what is interesting. If we win our last 5 we end up in 2nd place. We play pretty much everyone in front of us and are 1 game back. The others Oregon and Stanford that are above us have tough roads.

Oregon is at the socal schools. Zona schools at home then at wash.

Stanford still has Colorado, cal, wash at home then at zona schools

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

After choking on two FTs at the end of regulation, Thompson once again hits a game winning three. Beavers beat Huskies in 2OT.

UW on two-game losing streak. They will be very motivated in Seattle this week. Tough timing for us.

There are 8 teams within a game of each other.

Someone out of USC, UCLA, Utah, Oregon, Stanford, CU, ASU, and UW will finish 2nd, and someone will finish 9th. One bad call, one poor decision, one turnover, one lucky banked in three pointer could win or cost your team a number of seeds in the tournament.

Here's how I see the rest of the season going.

Pac12 TEAM Road Home
    (14-4) Arizona (6-3) (8-1)
    (12-6) Arizona State (5-4) (7-2)
    (12-6) Washington (4-5) (8-1)
    (11-7) Utah (4-5) (7-2)
    (11-7) USC (3-6) (8-1)
    (10-8) Stanford (3-6) (7-2)
    (10-8) UCLA (2-7) (8-1)
    (10-8) Colorado (2-7) (8-1)
    (8-10) Oregon (3-6) (5-4)
    (5-13) Oregon State (0-9) (5-4)
    (3-15) California (1-8) (2-7)
    (2-16) Washington State (0-9) (2-7)

THIS WEEK
    Arizona State 86 Arizona 81
    Washington 78 Utah 72
    USC 83 Oregon 75
    Colorado 75 Washington State 72
    UCLA 84 Oregon State 73
    Washington 78 Colorado 70
    Utah 77 Washington State 71
    UCLA 85 Oregon 77
    USC 83 Oregon State 71
    Stanford 74 California 70
    NEXT WEEK
    Colorado 77 USC 75
    Arizona 81 Oregon State 75
    Stanford 76 Washington 74
    Utah 80 UCLA 77
    California 74 Washington State 69
    Arizona State 83 Oregon 81
    Utah 78 USC 75
    Washington 76 California 69
    Stanford 81 Washington State 68
    Arizona State 82 Oregon State 77
    Arizona 81 Oregon 79
    Colorado 78 UCLA 77
    FINAL WEEK
    Arizona State 87 California 68
    Oregon 78 Washington State 75
    Arizona 84 Stanford 73
    Washington 81 Oregon State 69
    Arizona State 85 Stanford 74
    Arizona 85 California 66
    Washington 81 Oregon 73
    Washington State 74 Oregon State 74
    Utah 77 Colorado 70
    USC 83 UCLA 78
    Last edited by The Thrill; 02-11-2018 at 09:09 PM.

MRD, I owe you $100. Please board mail me your address.

I am very glad I lost the bet.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I am very glad I lost the bet.

Board mail sent

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Pac12 TEAM Road Home
    (14-4) Arizona (6-3) (8-1)
    (12-6) Arizona State (5-4) (7-2)
    (12-6) Washington (4-5) (8-1)
    (11-7) Utah (4-5) (7-2)
    (11-7) USC (3-6) (8-1)
    (10-8) Stanford (3-6) (7-2)
    (10-8) UCLA (2-7) (8-1)
    (10-8) Colorado (2-7) (8-1)
    (8-10) Oregon (3-6) (5-4)
    (5-13) Oregon State (0-9) (5-4)
    (3-15) California (1-8) (2-7)
    (2-16) Washington State (0-9) (2-7)
    So who wins the tiebreaker for 4th in Vegas, assuming Utah gets to this mark by splitting its games with USC?

Bracketology has five Pac-12 teams in, although the SoCal schools are relegated to play-in games, and UW is one of the last four with byes.

Utah in the Next Four out.

I suspect if Utah gets in, it's at the expense of another Pac-12 team. The good news is we play all three of the aforementioned teams before season's end. In fact, I'll say right now a Utah-UCLA matchup in Vegas is an elimination game for the NCAAs (provided we beat UCLA in SLC). And being among the last four in is a precipitous place to be in. I'll say the league gets four bids.

I just don't have the same optimism that the rest of y'all seem to have. We have 4/5 remaining games against teams that are even with us. We need to win 4/5 of those.

If USC, UCLA, UW, and CU are a coin toss, and WSU is 80%, we have (.5)(.5)(.5)(.5)(.8) = 5% chance of winning out.

We've been good on the road twice (ASU and Oregon), and we've been awful three times (USC, UCLA, and CU). I'm not sure how UW has been good this season. On paper, they're not much. That's a winnable game in Seattle, but it's also a game we could lose by 20.

UCLA and USC beat us so badly in SoCal that I have a hard time thinking we will beat them both in SLC. I know the shots seems to fall for us in SLC, but it's hard for me to get over those blowouts. Plus, they both have outside shooting big men, which is tough for us to handle.

Anyway, the hope is alive! There is a path to the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Bracketology has five Pac-12 teams in, although the SoCal schools are relegated to play-in games, and UW is one of the last four with byes.

Utah in the Next Four out.

I suspect if Utah gets in, it's at the expense of another Pac-12 team. The good news is we play all three of the aforementioned teams before season's end. In fact, I'll say right now a Utah-UCLA matchup in Vegas is an elimination game for the NCAAs (provided we beat UCLA in SLC). And being among the last four in is a precipitous place to be in. I'll say the league gets four bids.
    I watched the CBS projection that took the top 16 teams and Jerry Palm expanded on that. He had ASU in as a 10 seed. I don't think they are on very solid ground though at the moment. Now, a win over Arizona this week probably puts them in, but just looking at their schedule, they still have games they could drop down the stretch here. I don't see them getting to the 12-6 mark as noted above.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    So who wins the tiebreaker for 4th in Vegas, assuming Utah gets to this mark by splitting its games with USC?
    After head to head, I think it goes record vs. the top team(s) in the league until someone gets the advantage, so in the event that we split with USC, and the standings are what they are, I think we'd take the tiebreaker by virtue of the win over ASU.

If USC, UCLA, UW, and CU are a coin toss, and WSU is 80%, we have (.5)(.5)(.5)(.5)(.8) = 5% chance of winning out.
    ESPN's "matchup predictor" gives us a 48.7% chance in Seattle.

78.2% @ WSU
    61.3% vs UCLA
    57.2% vs USC
    81.2% vs CU

So ESPN gives us a 10% chance of winning out. That's not bad!

Justin Bibbins is:

18th in the Pac-12 in ppg
    4th in apg
    6th in FT%
    2nd in 3FG per game
    1st in 3FG%
    3rd in assist to turnover ratio
    10th in mpg

Which all-conference team does he belong on?

I think there are 6 locks for 1st team: Ayton, Holiday, Trier, Holder, Travis, and Tinkle.

After that, you have other guards: Bibbins, Evans, Thompson, Wright. Other bigs: Welsh, Dickerson, Metu, Boatwright.

That's 8 possibilities for 4 open spots. I think Bibbins is on the cusp.