Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

It's just amazing. When they announced that he was joining the team, I really didn't think he'd be able to be effective game in and game out in the Pac-12. Now he's probably my favorite player on this team. So glad that he's having so much success.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Justin Bibbins is:

18th in the Pac-12 in ppg
    4th in apg
    6th in FT%
    2nd in 3FG per game
    1st in 3FG%
    3rd in assist to turnover ratio
    10th in mpg

Which all-conference team does he belong on?

I think there are 6 locks for 1st team: Ayton, Holiday, Trier, Holder, Travis, and Tinkle.

After that, you have other guards: Bibbins, Evans, Thompson, Wright. Other bigs: Welsh, Dickerson, Metu, Boatwright.

That's 8 possibilities for 4 open spots. I think Bibbins is on the cusp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It's just amazing. When they announced that he was joining the team, I really didn't think he'd be able to be effective game in and game out in the Pac-12. Now he's probably my favorite player on this team. So glad that he's having so much success.
    and he seems to be getting smaller. Early in the year the TV announcers commented that he was just 5'11", against CAL he was down to 5'8"

Now two games of separation between #2 and #9.

Utah controls its destiny as far as first round bye goes.

I assume ucla beats us in a tiebreaker due to their win over Arizona.

Now two games of separation between #2 and #9.

Utah controls its destiny as far as first round bye goes.

I assume ucla beats us in a tiebreaker due to their win over Arizona.
    The results last night were very good for the Utes, and we are now positioned to make a major move in the league, if we can just keep winning. If the Utes were to sweep UCLA and USC at home next week (assuming beating WSU on Saturday), then at least one of those teams is a lock for 7 loses (b/c they play each other the last game of the year). If we end up in a tie with UCLA, yes, they'd take the tiebreaker due to their win over Arizona. With USC, it is much more cloudy right now their best wins are a sweep over Oregon. Our wins over Washington may trump those in a tiebreaker, but it will all depend on how those teams end up in the standings. They play the last game of the year. Should be an interesting stretch.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The results last night were very good for the Utes, and we are now positioned to make a major move in the league, if we can just keep winning. If the Utes were to sweep UCLA and USC at home next week (assuming beating WSU on Saturday), then at least one of those teams is a lock for 7 loses (b/c they play each other the last game of the year). If we end up in a tie with UCLA, yes, they'd take the tiebreaker due to their win over Arizona. With USC, it is much more cloudy right now their best wins are a sweep over Oregon. Our wins over Washington may trump those in a tiebreaker, but it will all depend on how those teams end up in the standings. They play the last game of the year. Should be an interesting stretch.

Big 4 game stretch for us. Here's what's on the line:

1) The NCAA tournament.
    2) We can play our way to AT LEAST a 3-seed in Vegas. There's no real difference between a 2 and 3 seed - both would open against good teams, and both would avoid Arizona for as long as possible.
    3) 1st team all conference for Justin Bibbins
    4) COY for Coach K. Utes were picked 7th in the preseason poll. UW was picked 10th. ASU was picked 6th. Is any other coach in the running?
    5) Revenge. We lost by a combined 58 points to UCLA, USC, and CU this season.

Big 4 game stretch for us. Here's what's on the line:

1) The NCAA tournament.
    2) We can play our way to AT LEAST a 3-seed in Vegas. There's no real difference between a 2 and 3 seed - both would open against good teams, and both would avoid Arizona for as long as possible.
    3) 1st team all conference for Justin Bibbins
    4) COY for Coach K. Utes were picked 7th in the preseason poll. UW was picked 10th. ASU was picked 6th. Is any other coach in the running?
    5) Revenge. We lost by a combined 58 points to UCLA, USC, and CU this season.
    Well, if you are in the east there is a big difference...I think the 3/6 game tips at midnight eastern!

Agree though, should be a fun stretch...please please please take care of business at WSU.

I know the tournament committee doesn't really look at last 10 anymore, but if the Utes could somehow go into Vegas having won 7 in a row, that'd be something, certainly not nothing.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I know the tournament committee doesn't really look at last 10 anymore, but if the Utes could somehow go into Vegas having won 7 in a row, that'd be something, certainly not nothing.
    I follow a guy on Twitter, Jerry Palm, who insists that the NCAA basketball selection committee is the only group of humans ever assembled that can operate completely free of any bias. "They don't even know what conference a team belongs to." "The name on the jersey might as well be invisible." That kind of crap. I don't really know why I'm still following this guy.

Anyway, the committee may not officially look at last 10 anymore, but it's there. They can't unknow what they know.

USC's Bennie Boatwright is out for the rest of the season.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Road Pac12 TEAM Road Home
    +4 (11-3) Arizona (5-2) (6-1)
    +2 (9-5) USC (3-4) (6-1)
    +1 (9-5) UCLA (2-4) (7-1)
    +2 (8-6) Utah (4-4) (4-2)
    0 (7-6) Stanford (2-4) (5-2)
    +1 (7-6) Washington (3-4) (4-2)
    0 (7-6) Oregon (2-4) (5-2)
    0 (7-7) Arizona State (3-4) (4-3)
    0 (7-7) Colorado (1-6) (6-1)
    -2 (5-8) Oregon State (0-6) (5-2)
    -4 (2-11) California (1-6) (1-5)
    -4 (2-11) Washington State (0-7) (2-4)

So ucla and usc are 10-5 and they play mtn schools and @usc. We end up second if we win out and one of them gets swept in the mountains but wins the game at usc.

If we end up tied with ucla they win the tiebreaker via there win at az. If we end up tied with USC because of our wash sweep or stanford win we probably win that tiebreaker (assuming we beat them on Saturday)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

+2 (10-5) USC (3-4) (7-1)
    +1 (10-5) UCLA (2-4) (8-1)
    +3 (9-6) Utah (5-4) (4-2)
    +1 (8-6) Washington (3-4) (5-2)
    +1 (8-6) Stanford (3-4) (5-2)
    0 (7-7) Oregon (2-5) (5-2)
    0 (7-8) Colorado (1-7) (6-1)
    -2 (5-9) Oregon State (0-7) (5-2)
    -5 (2-12) California (1-6) (1-6)
    -5 (2-12) Washington State (0-7) (2-5)

Assuming Stanford beats California today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    +2 (10-5) USC (3-4) (7-1)
    +1 (10-5) UCLA (2-4) (8-1)
    +3 (9-6) Utah (5-4) (4-2)
    +1 (8-6) Washington (3-4) (5-2)
    +1 (8-6) Stanford (3-4) (5-2)
    0 (7-7) Oregon (2-5) (5-2)
    0 (7-8) Colorado (1-7) (6-1)
    -2 (5-9) Oregon State (0-7) (5-2)
    -5 (2-12) California (1-6) (1-6)
    -5 (2-12) Washington State (0-7) (2-5)

Assuming Stanford beats California today.
    Our second favorite team this week is Colorado. All the other games this week might as well be played on Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Our second favorite team this week is Colorado. All the other games this week might as well be played on Mars.
    To bad Usc plays Cu on Wednesday. Trojans get an extra day off. But at least we get to watch.

I suppose the only caveat to this is that if we take care of business, we will be interested in seeing who falls into the 7/6 spot. My sense is that even though we hold a victory over them, we'd probably want to avoid Oregon in a potential 7/2 or 6/3 tilt, and possibly ASU as well. Stanford/Washington is a big game for both squads, but particularly for the Cardinal as they are likely to finish the season 0-2 after their trip to the Arizona schools.

I suppose the only caveat to this is that if we take care of business, we will be interested in seeing who falls into the 7/6 spot. My sense is that even though we hold a victory over them, we'd probably want to avoid Oregon in a potential 7/2 or 6/3 tilt, and possibly ASU as well. Stanford/Washington is a big game for both squads, but particularly for the Cardinal as they are likely to finish the season 0-2 after their trip to the Arizona schools.
    Agreed. Even though UCLA, USC, Utah, CU, Oregon, ASU, UW, and Stanford are even in the standings, they are not even in how much they scare me!

Oregon in particular is playing better than they were when we were in Eugene.

This all illustrates how long our odds still are. Not only do we have to win out, we need to win one in Vegas too. All against teams more or less even with us.

Agreed. Even though UCLA, USC, Utah, CU, Oregon, ASU, UW, and Stanford are even in the standings, they are not even in how much they scare me!

Oregon in particular is playing better than they were when we were in Eugene.

This all illustrates how long our odds still are. Not only do we have to win out, we need to win one in Vegas too. All against teams more or less even with us.
    It's going to be an exciting fight to the finish here. So many of the teams bunched up in the middle play each other in the final 3 or 4 games of the season. Hey, even Cal and Wazzu square off to determine the #12 and #11 seeds, respectively.

One month ago, who'd a-thunk we'd have an exciting end to the regular season?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm really happy about this because I am a big believer in chemistry and having good character kids on your team. While talent is more important than anything, these other items are often overlooked. These appear to be a good group of kids who have gotten better. They are easy to cheer for.

it would be awesome if they took second place.

I did
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I did
    I meant, apart from the geniuses on the board, who foresaw this?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I meant, apart from the geniuses on the board, who foresaw this?
    I don't understand this phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't understand this phrase.
    I was giving MRD credit for being a genius.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I'm really happy about this because I am a big believer in chemistry and having good character kids on your team. While talent is more important than anything, these other items are often overlooked. These appear to be a good group of kids who have gotten better. They are easy to cheer for.

it would be awesome if they took second place.
    I'm with you on this. I think there are a lot of guys on this team who are really dissatisfied with how their college careers have turned out. Yes, they've earned minutes, put up respectable numbers and garnered individual accolades to varying degrees, but what have they accomplished that's lasting from a team concept? That they can bring up with pride 20 years from now? Really, not a damn thing. And the end of the tunnel is approaching, and they're highly motivated to change that. And they're united in changing that. That's what makes it easy to cheer for them.

I don't even think of scenarios in which this season is a failure. I suppose there are ones that could happen, but I don't even think about that. This team is along the lines of previous great teams in that regard. They're gonna go out and take care of business and they're gonna win. That's the vibe I get from this team right now.

This is a team that's not only going to get to the NCAAs, they're gonna win it all in Vegas.

I'm with you on this. I think there are a lot of guys on this team who are really dissatisfied with how their college careers have turned out. Yes, they've earned minutes, put up respectable numbers and garnered individual accolades to varying degrees, but what have they accomplished that's lasting from a team concept? That they can bring up with pride 20 years from now? Really, not a damn thing. And the end of the tunnel is approaching, and they're highly motivated to change that. And they're united in changing that. That's what makes it easy to cheer for them.

I don't even think of scenarios in which this season is a failure. I suppose there are ones that could happen, but I don't even think about that. This team is along the lines of previous great teams in that regard. They're gonna go out and take care of business and they're gonna win. That's the vibe I get from this team right now.

This is a team that's not only going to get to the NCAAs, they're gonna win it all in Vegas.
    Be still, my beating heart! I hope you are right!

--Yeats

The home stretch begins tonight with USC visiting Colorado. Big stakes for both squads as USC looks to keep some distance between themselves and the rest of the Pac sans Boatwright. For Colorado, a win gets them to 8-8 and keeps hope alive for them to finish anywhere from 5-8 (haven't broken out all the scenarios). A loss probably places them in the 8/9 game in Vegas.

Also - there is tension between these two coaches, so that will be interesting to watch, particularly if CU wins.

The rest of the slate tips off tomorrow.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Be still, my beating heart! I hope you are right!
    Wilner agrees with me.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...-in-las-vegas/

I would be absolutely thrilled, but I don't see it. This team has a tendancy to disappear for entire halfs at times, and I don't think they can survive a 6 game run against good teams, with three of them in the tournament atmosphere.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I would be absolutely thrilled, but I don't see it. This team has a tendancy to disappear for entire halfs at times, and I don't think they can survive a 6 game run against good teams, with three of them in the tournament atmosphere.
    Vegas is a crapshoot. Every team has weaknesses. You have Arizona, the favorite, then you have pretty much even odds for the next 3 teams (since they get a bye), and then slightly lower odds for the next 5. If you just assigned the top 9 teams 1/9 odds, you'd be pretty close to the real picture.

Vegas is a crapshoot. Every team has weaknesses. You have Arizona, the favorite, then you have pretty much even odds for the next 3 teams (since they get a bye), and then slightly lower odds for the next 5. If you just assigned the top 9 teams 1/9 odds, you'd be pretty close to the real picture.
    I think its safe to say that we will not go very far without Sed and Jayce. I hope they are back to 100% now. I am pretty sure Bealer is not giving us 18 points every night. Can't count on that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Yeah, this is more or less how I feel. Of course I'd love to see it, but it's hard for me to imagine that we have that kind of a run in us. I think we can sweep this home stand. I expect us to beat USC and CU. UCLA is the tossup for me. While its been fun to see which guy steps up in which game, it also feels like our lack of depth and a star player can bite us in a tournament environment.

I just hope we make it to the NCAA tourney. I would have considered that impossible before the season began and the loss at BYU only cemented that opinion for me. But the road trips to Oregon, Arizona, and then Washington showed me a grit, determination, and focus I didn't think this squad had. Here's to taking down the Bruins!