Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Everything that needs to be said has been said. I'll point out one other instance in which we got conservative.

Deep in the 2nd half -- under 6 minutes -- we've worked the clock down to under 15. Rawson is on the right wing, Barefield in the corner. Under 10, Rawson has an open 3. He passes it to Barefield, who looks to drive and then takes a 3 off the dribble with under 5 on the clock. It misses. I think under 10 seconds, we pass up on good shots in hopes of something better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I can't help but think in the first half, Rawson takes the open 3 instead of passing to Sed.

Over 12 minutes in the second half and the azholes have 1 foul

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Can't believe refs called an offensive foul on Ayton because he lowered his shoulder (sarcastic). They didn't call that on Oregon last night.

Of course, more important, LK's "prevent defense" of running down the shot-clock back-fired once again. Conceptually, I get why he's doing that; however, Utah does not have the athletes/talent to just run down the clock and have someone go get a bucket. We have to have the passing and movements, and all this eat-up the shot-clock. Oh well.

PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Ducks down by 28 to USC. I’m glad it isn’t us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy Olsen@JeremyOlsen41FollowFollow
    @JeremyOlsen41

That hurts. I know that play and it is designed to go to the corner guy after the drive. Wide open every time. Smh

12:05 AM - 9 Mar 2018

Barf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Barf.
    We need revenge. I'm fine with it.

Sure would be awful to lose again, though.

Barf.

Another team from the WCC in the postseason? Talk about our poison pill ...

It would be nice to finish the season on a high note and make a run in the NIT but I'm not holding my breath.

Barf.

Could be fun. Any mention of "80K" to a provo fan nowadays elicits the same reaction as a mention of Trump on the politics threads.......they completely lose their minds. Entertaining for sure.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Could be fun. Any mention of "80K" to a provo fan nowadays elicits the same reaction as a mention of Trump on the politics threads.......they completely lose their minds. Entertaining for sure.
    He rightfully disrespected them. That's Kryptonite to Cougar fans.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The milking of the clock makes even less sense today with a shortened shot clock. I’d be interested in the stats but I’d be willing to bet that most Utah plays get a shot off around 10 seconds left on the clock anyway, so we are buying an effective 5 seconds. You could probably do some further math to show how our shooting percentage drops with the rushed shots and poorer shot selection and demonstrate why slowing it down doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Even without that it just doesn’t seem to work with Kodiak coached teams. We see it more often than not of end of game failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The milking of the clock makes even less sense today with a shortened shot clock. I’d be interested in the stats but I’d be willing to bet that most Utah plays get a shot off around 10 seconds left on the clock anyway, so we are buying an effective 5 seconds. You could probably do some further math to show how our shooting percentage drops with the rushed shots and poorer shot selection and demonstrate why slowing it down doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Even without that it just doesn’t seem to work with Kodiak coached teams. We see it more often than not of end of game failures.

Yes it can be maddening. I’m not sure how often it actually works. Whittingham does do something similar with his “prevent offense,“ but as people have reminded me here repeatedly, that often works. I’m not sure I’ve seen Larry’s abandonment of the attack, when the attack is workong, be effective very often.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-11-2018 at 12:07 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Utes to host UC Davis in the NIT.

Washington, Oregon, Stanford (BYU) and USC all with a home game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Get ‘em while they’re hot! Would make for a great gag gift. I may grab one.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-11-2018 at 11:21 PM.

So the committee was correct regarding PAC 12's basketball "prowess"? As both UCLA and ASU went down, P12 is now officially a 1-team bid conference.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    So the committee was correct regarding PAC 12's basketball "prowess"? As both UCLA and ASU went down, P12 is now officially a 1-team bid conference.
    Committee apologists famously say you can't judge the committee based on what teams do in the tournament. I think that's right.

Can judge them on being slaves to their criteria, though. ASU had no business being there.

It is really hard to comprehend how bad the pac 12 turned our to be this year.

After 1-8 in bowl games and missing the playoff. Yikes all around.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-15-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It is really hard to comprehend how bad the pac 12 turned our to be this year.

After 1-8 in bowl games and missing the playoff. Yikes all around.

Conference strength is defined and carried by the flagships. Doesn't matter what the other teams are like, as long as Duke and UNC are strong, the ACC will be strong. Big10 football is up when Ohio State and Michigan are up. There have been years when Alabama was the only good team in the SEC, but the conference was still considered to be one of the best. ACC football was a joke until FSU hired Jimbo and returned to glory.

In the case of the Pac-12, much of the blame lies with the ADs at UCLA and USC. When Ohio State and Alabama hired Meyer and Saban, respectively, USC went through Kiffin, Sark, and now Helton. And UCLA hired Alford. These are top 5 all-time programs, and they have repeatedly settled for less over the past decade. I don't care if Helton gave a good interview and had the players' support, you're USC. You go get a top coach. Kentucky, Kansas, UNC - they don't settle for Steve Alford.

Franks declaring for the NBA draft, and Flynn to transfer. Tough week for Wazzu.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The best thing larry Scott has done

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...mpression=true

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

We don't really have an offseason thread for the league, but I saw on Twitter that Reid Travis, if he returns to school, might opt to be a grad transfer and could head to Duke or Kentucky, which would be an interesting move, and a big blow for Hess.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We don't really have an offseason thread for the league, but I saw on Twitter that Reid Travis, if he returns to school, might opt to be a grad transfer and could head to Duke or Kentucky, which would be an interesting move, and a big blow for Hess.
    That dude still has eligibility left? Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    More talk about Travis transferring. Twitter seems to think he's headed to Kentucky. I don't know if this is good or bad news. I do like Stanford to be bad, but the Pac-12 needs some strength.
    Yeah. Kentucky seems like an odd move for his style...I'd think a team like UVA would be more suited to his skill set, but maybe he just wants another crack at the Utes. Anything is possible.

In other news, Noah Dickerson is returning to Washington.

How about some Ute news. Both Gach is going to commit any day now. 4* top 150 6’7” PG with tons of raw athleticism. Exactly the kind of guy we need to complete this roster. He’s definitely getting a little more love from TTU right now though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TutBoth?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Point guard. 6’7”.

I think Battin is totally ready. He’s a high floor low ceiling guy I think who comes in as a smart player with a pretty developed skill set. I expect more out of him early than the other freshmen.

Larry’s teams have lived and died with point guard play.

So does Both eat up two scholarships? 😬

Fwiw, Steve Bartle from utezone placed a crystal ball prediction of BG to Utah today. So far its the only pick.