Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If that's true, then I agree with you about PG. It just looks like all our eggs are in one basket at forward.
    I think we’ll go smaller with Donnie Tillman at the 4 pretty often. We also landed Timmy Allen and Lahat Thiune at the forward spot in this class. Timmy should be an immediate contributor.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 05-30-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    We need a PG more than anything IMO.

Friday it is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TutBoth/s...89644517543937
    Watched several minutes of Gach's team against Findlay Prep, as well as a highlight reel (of the team, not just Gach). My observations:

I'm highly suspect of his future as a PG, seeing he doesn't even play PG on his own team. Listed as a small forward. Maybe he's done stuff outside of his team where he has shown some ability as a PG, but the starting PG on Gach's team was more than adequate, but far from spectacular.

I doubt he's 6-7. 6-7 kids tower over most of their HS competition, and this kid does not. I have questions about his athleticism. Doesn't have a quick enough of an elevator to be effective inside and doesn't explode in the open floor or in space. Didn't even jump center against Findlay. Was stationed back toward his basket on FTs instead of lining up for rebounds (or to pass the ball inbounds or receive it after a make). Is that really what you do with a PG? Maybe his coach is an idiot, maybe his team is loaded -- I'll walk back that statement if true -- but this guy is a perimeter player. He's not going to be a threat to take minutes from any legitimate frontcourt player.

He is a good shooter (the clear and obvious strength of his game), but can he elevate to get his shot off and become a jump shooter instead of a set shooter? If he can do that, he could be a real benefit (who isn't that can shoot the 3?), but the competition will force him to become more of a jump shooter.

Gach's future is as a 2 with Utah. Maybe he could develop skills to be a point. But I didn't see anything in the video I saw to indicate that PG is his natural position.

One more thing about the clips that struck me as odd -- the dunk of his in the team highlight video I saw, his team was a little too exuberant over the play. Like it was a rare occurrence. Now maybe it was a big play in a tight game, I don't know. It wasn't a spectacular dunk by any stretch, just a breakaway basic one-handed jam with no one at the rim. But 4-star kids who are 6-7 should be dunking pretty frequently at the HS level. It shouldn't be a HUGE deal when they do. But the reaction was more of awe than ho-hum. All the more reason for me to have a bit of a jaundiced eye when I see what's listed out there about him.

I have the same thoughts re: his ability to play PG. I think that's more of a recruiting pitch than anything else. IMO Gach is a versatile, long wing who will be able to play 1-3 (mainly 2-3). Agree that shooting is his strong suite, but I think he has a wide array of talents (vision, defense, etc).

There's not a ton of valuable film on the kid, so I watch those with a grain of salt. But a D1 assistant coach in the state (not at the U) who's watched him play told me months ago that this kid is really, really good.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but he would be a great cherry on top of an already stacked class.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Watched several minutes of Gach's team against Findlay Prep, as well as a highlight reel (of the team, not just Gach). My observations:

I'm highly suspect of his future as a PG, seeing he doesn't even play PG on his own team. Listed as a small forward. Maybe he's done stuff outside of his team where he has shown some ability as a PG, but the starting PG on Gach's team was more than adequate, but far from spectacular.

I doubt he's 6-7. 6-7 kids tower over most of their HS competition, and this kid does not. I have questions about his athleticism. Doesn't have a quick enough of an elevator to be effective inside and doesn't explode in the open floor or in space. Didn't even jump center against Findlay. Was stationed back toward his basket on FTs instead of lining up for rebounds (or to pass the ball inbounds or receive it after a make). Is that really what you do with a PG? Maybe his coach is an idiot, maybe his team is loaded -- I'll walk back that statement if true -- but this guy is a perimeter player. He's not going to be a threat to take minutes from any legitimate frontcourt player.

He is a good shooter (the clear and obvious strength of his game), but can he elevate to get his shot off and become a jump shooter instead of a set shooter? If he can do that, he could be a real benefit (who isn't that can shoot the 3?), but the competition will force him to become more of a jump shooter.

Gach's future is as a 2 with Utah. Maybe he could develop skills to be a point. But I didn't see anything in the video I saw to indicate that PG is his natural position.
    Thanks. If you actually got to see him live, then you know more than anyone else cause his film is
    s p a r s e

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    Thanks. If you actually got to see him live, then you know more than anyone else cause his film is
    s p a r s e
    My apologies. The stuff I saw against Findlay Prep was off tape. Uninterrupted 6 minutes or so of game action. Didn't mean to imply that I've seen him live.

It is still sobering that with our best recruiting class in years, we are probably only 7th or so in the Pac 12.

Pac-12 in updated (6/1) @247Sports 2018 basketball team recruiting rankings

4) Oregon

6) UCLA

10) ASU

18) USC

21) Arizona

28) Stanford

34) Utah

35) Washington

40) Cal

82) OSU

84) Colorado

143) WSU

#Utah moves from 46 to 34 with 4-star.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong service, but I don't think that ranking includes Charles Jones (because he's a JC). It definitely doesn't include Hendrix. In any case, Utah has always outperformed it's recruiting rankings and projections since joining the PAC 12. I will take this group playing under Larry in the top 4 (if not next year then definitely over the next four years).

I think the above was a jumbled way of saying that I believe that Utah has one of the best coaches in the conference and appears to be closing the talent gap with the top programs, which bodes well for the future.

I've read stats on the correlation of recruiting rankings to team success for football but not for basketball. I imagine there is a wider variance in basketball where there are fewer recruits and where one player can make such a big difference.

And several schools got several top 50 recruits who may be the type who make a big difference.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/...-for-recovery/

I've read stats on the correlation of recruiting rankings to team success for football but not for basketball. I imagine there is a wider variance in basketball where there are fewer recruits and where one player can make such a big difference.
    The other issue with basketball rankings is the prevelance of guys only being at a school for a year. Those are the guys who drive the rankings, but they will have a less significant impact. In football the elite guys have to be there for at least 3 years.

UCLA getting blown out by Cincy. The conference is beyond awful. I don't really understand it.

So, Alford is gone, right?

Is Fred Hoiberg going to be a hot name for coaching searches, or is he tainted by NBA failure?
    USC lost to Santa Clara last night, too. Pretty sad state of affairs in the PAC-12.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I took a quick look at the schedules played by PAC schools os far and I really do not see any top notch wins. A number of close losses to some good teams and some head scratching losses.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I took a quick look at the schedules played by PAC schools os far and I really do not see any top notch wins. A number of close losses to some good teams and some head scratching losses.
    Well, there's one. ASU over KU. So we're trending in the right direction now....

UCLA loses to Liberty by 15 (at home).
    ???

Does Alford last the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    UCLA loses to Liberty by 15 (at home).
    ???

Does Alford last the season?
    I don’t know how Alford lasts for 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Well, there's one. ASU over KU. So we're trending in the right direction now....
    This did not age well.

Alford fired.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I have to admit I am very slightly jealous of UCLA fans right now. The New Coach Sweepstakes is exciting, and our relationship with our current squeeze is messy, to say the least.