Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I meant, apart from the geniuses on the board, who foresaw this?
    I don't understand this phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't understand this phrase.
    I was giving MRD credit for being a genius.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I'm really happy about this because I am a big believer in chemistry and having good character kids on your team. While talent is more important than anything, these other items are often overlooked. These appear to be a good group of kids who have gotten better. They are easy to cheer for.

it would be awesome if they took second place.
    I'm with you on this. I think there are a lot of guys on this team who are really dissatisfied with how their college careers have turned out. Yes, they've earned minutes, put up respectable numbers and garnered individual accolades to varying degrees, but what have they accomplished that's lasting from a team concept? That they can bring up with pride 20 years from now? Really, not a damn thing. And the end of the tunnel is approaching, and they're highly motivated to change that. And they're united in changing that. That's what makes it easy to cheer for them.

I don't even think of scenarios in which this season is a failure. I suppose there are ones that could happen, but I don't even think about that. This team is along the lines of previous great teams in that regard. They're gonna go out and take care of business and they're gonna win. That's the vibe I get from this team right now.

This is a team that's not only going to get to the NCAAs, they're gonna win it all in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm with you on this. I think there are a lot of guys on this team who are really dissatisfied with how their college careers have turned out. Yes, they've earned minutes, put up respectable numbers and garnered individual accolades to varying degrees, but what have they accomplished that's lasting from a team concept? That they can bring up with pride 20 years from now? Really, not a damn thing. And the end of the tunnel is approaching, and they're highly motivated to change that. And they're united in changing that. That's what makes it easy to cheer for them.

I don't even think of scenarios in which this season is a failure. I suppose there are ones that could happen, but I don't even think about that. This team is along the lines of previous great teams in that regard. They're gonna go out and take care of business and they're gonna win. That's the vibe I get from this team right now.

This is a team that's not only going to get to the NCAAs, they're gonna win it all in Vegas.
    Be still, my beating heart! I hope you are right!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The home stretch begins tonight with USC visiting Colorado. Big stakes for both squads as USC looks to keep some distance between themselves and the rest of the Pac sans Boatwright. For Colorado, a win gets them to 8-8 and keeps hope alive for them to finish anywhere from 5-8 (haven't broken out all the scenarios). A loss probably places them in the 8/9 game in Vegas.

Also - there is tension between these two coaches, so that will be interesting to watch, particularly if CU wins.

The rest of the slate tips off tomorrow.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; Today at 11:53 AM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Be still, my beating heart! I hope you are right!
    Wilner agrees with me.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...-in-las-vegas/

I would be absolutely thrilled, but I don't see it. This team has a tendancy to disappear for entire halfs at times, and I don't think they can survive a 6 game run against good teams, with three of them in the tournament atmosphere.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I would be absolutely thrilled, but I don't see it. This team has a tendancy to disappear for entire halfs at times, and I don't think they can survive a 6 game run against good teams, with three of them in the tournament atmosphere.
    Vegas is a crapshoot. Every team has weaknesses. You have Arizona, the favorite, then you have pretty much even odds for the next 3 teams (since they get a bye), and then slightly lower odds for the next 5. If you just assigned the top 9 teams 1/9 odds, you'd be pretty close to the real picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Vegas is a crapshoot. Every team has weaknesses. You have Arizona, the favorite, then you have pretty much even odds for the next 3 teams (since they get a bye), and then slightly lower odds for the next 5. If you just assigned the top 9 teams 1/9 odds, you'd be pretty close to the real picture.
    I think its safe to say that we will not go very far without Sed and Jayce. I hope they are back to 100% now. I am pretty sure Bealer is not giving us 18 points every night. Can't count on that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Yeah, this is more or less how I feel. Of course I'd love to see it, but it's hard for me to imagine that we have that kind of a run in us. I think we can sweep this home stand. I expect us to beat USC and CU. UCLA is the tossup for me. While its been fun to see which guy steps up in which game, it also feels like our lack of depth and a star player can bite us in a tournament environment.

I just hope we make it to the NCAA tourney. I would have considered that impossible before the season began and the loss at BYU only cemented that opinion for me. But the road trips to Oregon, Arizona, and then Washington showed me a grit, determination, and focus I didn't think this squad had. Here's to taking down the Bruins!

I was giving MRD credit for being a genius.
    I was merely pointing out the fallacy of your logic.

We're doomed then. His support is like the kiss of death for us.