Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I meant, apart from the geniuses on the board, who foresaw this?
    I don't understand this phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't understand this phrase.
    I was giving MRD credit for being a genius.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I'm really happy about this because I am a big believer in chemistry and having good character kids on your team. While talent is more important than anything, these other items are often overlooked. These appear to be a good group of kids who have gotten better. They are easy to cheer for.

it would be awesome if they took second place.
    I'm with you on this. I think there are a lot of guys on this team who are really dissatisfied with how their college careers have turned out. Yes, they've earned minutes, put up respectable numbers and garnered individual accolades to varying degrees, but what have they accomplished that's lasting from a team concept? That they can bring up with pride 20 years from now? Really, not a damn thing. And the end of the tunnel is approaching, and they're highly motivated to change that. And they're united in changing that. That's what makes it easy to cheer for them.

I don't even think of scenarios in which this season is a failure. I suppose there are ones that could happen, but I don't even think about that. This team is along the lines of previous great teams in that regard. They're gonna go out and take care of business and they're gonna win. That's the vibe I get from this team right now.

This is a team that's not only going to get to the NCAAs, they're gonna win it all in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm with you on this. I think there are a lot of guys on this team who are really dissatisfied with how their college careers have turned out. Yes, they've earned minutes, put up respectable numbers and garnered individual accolades to varying degrees, but what have they accomplished that's lasting from a team concept? That they can bring up with pride 20 years from now? Really, not a damn thing. And the end of the tunnel is approaching, and they're highly motivated to change that. And they're united in changing that. That's what makes it easy to cheer for them.

I don't even think of scenarios in which this season is a failure. I suppose there are ones that could happen, but I don't even think about that. This team is along the lines of previous great teams in that regard. They're gonna go out and take care of business and they're gonna win. That's the vibe I get from this team right now.

This is a team that's not only going to get to the NCAAs, they're gonna win it all in Vegas.
    Be still, my beating heart! I hope you are right!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The home stretch begins tonight with USC visiting Colorado. Big stakes for both squads as USC looks to keep some distance between themselves and the rest of the Pac sans Boatwright. For Colorado, a win gets them to 8-8 and keeps hope alive for them to finish anywhere from 5-8 (haven't broken out all the scenarios). A loss probably places them in the 8/9 game in Vegas.

Also - there is tension between these two coaches, so that will be interesting to watch, particularly if CU wins.

The rest of the slate tips off tomorrow.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Be still, my beating heart! I hope you are right!
    Wilner agrees with me.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...-in-las-vegas/

I would be absolutely thrilled, but I don't see it. This team has a tendancy to disappear for entire halfs at times, and I don't think they can survive a 6 game run against good teams, with three of them in the tournament atmosphere.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I would be absolutely thrilled, but I don't see it. This team has a tendancy to disappear for entire halfs at times, and I don't think they can survive a 6 game run against good teams, with three of them in the tournament atmosphere.
    Vegas is a crapshoot. Every team has weaknesses. You have Arizona, the favorite, then you have pretty much even odds for the next 3 teams (since they get a bye), and then slightly lower odds for the next 5. If you just assigned the top 9 teams 1/9 odds, you'd be pretty close to the real picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Vegas is a crapshoot. Every team has weaknesses. You have Arizona, the favorite, then you have pretty much even odds for the next 3 teams (since they get a bye), and then slightly lower odds for the next 5. If you just assigned the top 9 teams 1/9 odds, you'd be pretty close to the real picture.
    I think its safe to say that we will not go very far without Sed and Jayce. I hope they are back to 100% now. I am pretty sure Bealer is not giving us 18 points every night. Can't count on that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Yeah, this is more or less how I feel. Of course I'd love to see it, but it's hard for me to imagine that we have that kind of a run in us. I think we can sweep this home stand. I expect us to beat USC and CU. UCLA is the tossup for me. While its been fun to see which guy steps up in which game, it also feels like our lack of depth and a star player can bite us in a tournament environment.

I just hope we make it to the NCAA tourney. I would have considered that impossible before the season began and the loss at BYU only cemented that opinion for me. But the road trips to Oregon, Arizona, and then Washington showed me a grit, determination, and focus I didn't think this squad had. Here's to taking down the Bruins!

I was giving MRD credit for being a genius.
    I was merely pointing out the fallacy of your logic.

We're doomed then. His support is like the kiss of death for us.

USC gets the road win, now 11-5 while the Buffs drop to 7-9.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Joe Lunardi's latest bracket shows 3 Pac 12 teams in: Arizona (4), ASU (6), USC (12 - play in game, last four in), UCLA first four out, Washington first four out, Utah next four out.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Washington first four out, Utah next four out.
    UW lucked out with playing Kansas 2 months before the Jayhawks finally put it together.

Alonzo Trier ruled ineligible for a banned substance. Arizona is appealing the ruling.

Alonzo Trier ruled ineligible for a banned substance. Arizona is appealing the ruling.
    Everyone's odds in Vegas just went up slightly.

https://theathletic.com/248486/2018/...to-the-bubble/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Would have loved to see our RPI had Xavier not bailed on coming out here this year.........

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Would have loved to see our RPI had Xavier not bailed on coming out here this year.........
    We replaced them with Missouri no? So, still a decent game.

We replaced them with Missouri no? So, still a decent game.

Its true. But we were one game short in non con. Would have loved to have them both!!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Its true. But we were one game short in non con. Would have loved to have them both!!
    I watched the post game coverage on FS1 after Oregon/ASU and it appears to me that this year may be one of those years where the Pac 12 non-conference scheduling really comes into focus. As you note, we had one extra game to play that we didn't schedule...now, nobody has a crystal ball to see how these things might work out, but there are any number of teams right now with a top 100 RPI that we could've played at home that very likely would've gotten us another decent win, including UVU, Illinois St. (who was begging for teams to play at the end of last year when they missed out on the NCAAs, South Dakota/South Dakota St. The list goes on and on.

Updated standings as of last night's results:

1. Arizona 22-6, 12-3 - Clinches a share of the regular season title with a win over Oregon, can clinch it out right if we beat USC
    2. USC 21-9, 11-5
    3. UCLA 19-9, 10-6
    4. Utah 18-9, 10-6 - We all know the stakes here, but a win very likely gets us into serious discussion for the big dance, and a top 3 seed in Vegas.
    5. Stanford 15-13, 9-6 - Stanford looks to be heading towards a 10-8 finish to the season with Wazzu at home and a trip to the Arizona schools.
    6. Oregon 18-10, 8-7 - picked up a big win over ASU last night and now hosts Arizona.
    7. Washington 18-10, 8-7 - Bad loss last night at Stanford, will probably have a tough time getting into the tournament now despite three winnable games down the stretch.
    8. Arizona St. 19-10, 7-8 - Still trying to cash in on the early season success, and it looks like they will still get into the tournament...would love to avoid them in the quarterfinals of the Pac 12 tournament. For those keeping track at home...Hurley's sideline behavior is still absurd.
    9. Colorado 15-13, 7-9 - If the Buffs beat UCLA, and we take care of business vs. USC, I believe that gets us a tiebreaker against both of those teams, so...Go Buffs. Otherwise, they look to be heading toward the 8/9 game in Vegas.
    10. Oregon St. 13-14, 5-10 - The likely 10 seed in the Pac 12 tourney, I think the Beavers are going to be a tough out.
    11. Wazzu 10-16, 3-12 - Ernie Kent looks like he will avoid the 12 seed in the Pac 12 Tournament. Congrats!
    12. Cal 8-20, 2-13 - Has basically locked up the 12 seed in Vegas.

Updated standings as of last night's results:

1. Arizona 22-6, 12-3 - Clinches a share of the regular season title with a win over Oregon, can clinch it out right if we beat USC
    2. USC 21-9, 11-5
    3. UCLA 19-9, 10-6
    4. Utah 18-9, 10-6 - We all know the stakes here, but a win very likely gets us into serious discussion for the big dance, and a top 3 seed in Vegas.
    5. Stanford 15-13, 9-6 - Stanford looks to be heading towards a 10-8 finish to the season with Wazzu at home and a trip to the Arizona schools.
    6. Oregon 18-10, 8-7 - picked up a big win over ASU last night and now hosts Arizona.
    7. Washington 18-10, 8-7 - Bad loss last night at Stanford, will probably have a tough time getting into the tournament now despite three winnable games down the stretch.
    8. Arizona St. 19-10, 7-8 - Still trying to cash in on the early season success, and it looks like they will still get into the tournament...would love to avoid them in the quarterfinals of the Pac 12 tournament. For those keeping track at home...Hurley's sideline behavior is still absurd.
    9. Colorado 15-13, 7-9 - If the Buffs beat UCLA, and we take care of business vs. USC, I believe that gets us a tiebreaker against both of those teams, so...Go Buffs. Otherwise, they look to be heading toward the 8/9 game in Vegas.
    10. Oregon St. 13-14, 5-10 - The likely 10 seed in the Pac 12 tourney, I think the Beavers are going to be a tough out.
    11. Wazzu 10-16, 3-12 - Ernie Kent looks like he will avoid the 12 seed in the Pac 12 Tournament. Congrats!
    12. Cal 8-20, 2-13 - Has basically locked up the 12 seed in Vegas.
    I think we pretty much wrapped up at least 4th. We hold the tie breaker on everyone below us except ASU which beat USC and UCLA. So if Stanford, ASU, Utah and UCLA were tied at 10-8. It would go record against those schools which is:

Stanford 2-3
    ASU 3-2
    UCLA 2-3
    Utah 3-2

Then their win ASU win over USC would give them 3 and Utah would be 4.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

If we beat Colorado we end up 4th. The only team below us we don't have tiebreaker with is asu and they have 8 losses.

Azholes 1
    uscheaters 2
    Ucla @Colo @usc 3
    Utah 7 losses Colo
    Stanford 6 losses wazzu, @ az @ asu
    Oregon 7 losses az, @ wash @ wazzu
    Wash 7 losses @ cal, osu oreg
    Asu 8 losses

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think we can safely pencil Cal in as the 12 seed.

Oregon State beats Arizona State, could move up into the 8/9 slot if the Buffs stumble.

Ducks top Arizona in OT...We still own the tiebreaker over them so the result isn't terrible for us. The game between them and the Huskies could very well be for that 5th seed.

One more tomorrow between. UCLA and the Buffs before we head into the final weekend of the regular season. Should be exciting.

I think we can safely pencil Cal in as the 12 seed.
    And by virtue of Oregon State's win over ASU, Wazzu is penciled in as the 11 seed.