Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nate Cooper should die of gonorrhea and roast in hell...Utah at byu

Did we even try to recruit Childs? I doubt he went to BYU because of shoe money. Seems like a miss to me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

And, although I'm sure Jayce is a really nice kid and a hard worker, as a 4* recruit, I'm still not that impressed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Did we even try to recruit Childs? I doubt he went to BYU because of shoe money. Seems like a miss to me.
    well that was no fun, I don't mind the loss, but it felt like we were never in it

LA, Whit, not Meyer, coached the best Utah season in history. Whit has had Meyer-like success at Utah. Meyer was our coach for two years. You’ve seen how he did with another coach’s recruits in the MWC, and at Florida and Ohio State. You don’t know how he’d be with this Ute program in the PAC 12 over the long term. Anyway, when LK gives us a season for the ages like Whit did for us in 2008, he’ll buy at least a decade of goodwill from me. Comparing Meyer to Majerus is abusurd Majerus coached at Utah for many years. Utah was where he made his reputation and legacy. We were a stepping stone for Meyer. I have no problem with that, by the way. I just think that Meyer has completely warped Ute fans’ expectations and perspectives. Meyer was Mary Poppins.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-16-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Byu shot 51% from field and 50% from the 3. Utah shot 22%. That's the difference. Not having Tillman was rough. We could have put him in bryant or childs.

We will finish 6-8ish in the conference.

I see wins
    2x vs wazzu & Colorado (buffs are very bad)
    Ucla at home
    Washington at home
    Cal at home

Maybe at oregon st

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Byu shot 51% from field and 50% from the 3. Utah shot 22%. That's the difference. Not having Tillman was rough. We could have put him in bryant or childs.

We will finish 6-8ish in the conference.

I see wins
    2x vs wazzu & Colorado (buffs are very bad)
    Ucla at home
    Washington at home
    Cal at home

Maybe at oregon st

Gotta figure out how to score.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

MRD, I bet you $100 we don’t win six games.

Our team this year is only going to be good if we shoot a good percentage from outside. Shooting less than 20% from 3 this game while attempting 22, while BYU shot 50% while attempting 20, it's remarkable that we didn't lose by more.

Having Tillman and Seeley probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. Maybe we defend the 3 a bit better, and take less 3's, but neither of them have been consistent enough for me to have much confidence in them being the difference makers in this game.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think we'll get there. We play 9 at home, and the Pac-12 isn't particularly strong.

I think we all agree he was a miss. Hurts because we could have had him. He would have fit so well on our team, too. I'm sure coach has been kicking himself over Childs.

<Mistakenly edited by SU; please disregard>
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-16-2017 at 11:44 PM.

We count the tournament?

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

LA I dind’t mean to speak for Justaute. Please fix it.

<What Seattle Ute tried to say, in response to someone:>

Whit’s team in 2008 wasn't mostly recruited by Meyer who left in 2004. That’s just BS. How many players at our level of recruiting from any class do you think become really good?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-16-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Sure.
    I assume this is a response to me then ok. I have the utes over 5.5 wins in conference and tournament play

MRD it’s a bet. I hope I’m wrong.

I knew we'd struggle this season but we looked worse tonight than I thought we were. I'll rely on the adage, "You're never as bad as your worst game or as good as your best game," and hope it applies here. That said, I think we might have some long nights this season.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

LA, Whit, not Meyer, coached the best Utah season in history. Whit has had Meyer-like success at Utah. Meyer was our coach for two years. You’ve seen how he did with another coach’s recruits in the MWC, and at Florida and Ohio State. You don’t know how he’d be with this Ute program in the PAC 12 over the long term. Anyway, when LK gives us a season for the ages like Whit did for us in 2008, he’ll buy at least a decade of goodwill from me. Comparing Meyer to Majerus is abusurd Majerus coached at Utah for many years. Utah was where he made his reputation and legacy. We were a stepping stone for Meyer. I have no problem with that, by the way. I just think that Meyer has completely warped Ute fans’ expectations and perspectives. Meyer was Mary Poppins.
    Just don't compare every Ute basketball coach to Majerus. You'll never be happy if you do.

As for Whit, I am a skeptic and think he has probably hit his plateau. I hope I am wrong. I still think he's the horse we need to ride until he doesn't want to coach at Utah any more.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-16-2017 at 11:55 PM.

--Yeats

I knew we'd struggle this season but we looked worse tonight than I thought we were. I'll rely on the adage, "You're never as bad as your worst game or as good as your best game," and hope it applies here. That said, I think we might have some long nights this season.
    Yeah. Maybe. BYU is tough at home and they've been in a lather about this game for over a year. Perhaps we just lost tonight and it doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Yeah. Maybe. BYU is tough at home and they've been in a lather about this game for over a year. Perhaps we just lost tonight and it doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    except we were pathetic against UNLV, pedestrian against Butler And Ole Miss is bad.

Ill field the question on childs....

We were too late. We chased three higher rates 4's that year and missed on all 3. Childs would have committed but took BYU's offer with our uncertainty. Though nothing concrete, the fbi probe sure makes those misses more suspect.

As for our season hopes, I will stick by what I've said....with a healthy donnie t, we are a fringe tourney team. Without him, we can be decent.

A couple of thoughts/reactions.

To the questions on Yoeli Childs. Yoeli was a Ute until the day he committed to BYU. We slow played him. I forget who the other 4s were we recruited that year (because we didn't get them). It was just a matter of he got tired of waiting. I don't know that I can blame Utah but he's definitely a case of you can't measure heart. He would really help this team.

As for tonight. i agree with those who note Tillman missing. We missed him but BYU missed Nixon. He's a similar player for them with a better outside shot. I'd still take Tillman - especially long term, but both teams were missing key players.

LA - you'll hate me for this but I have to return to two things that continue to frustrate me about Coach K and the staff. The first is defense. Coach Majerus virtually erased the number one and number two scoring options with amazing consistency. Utah rarely does this under Coach K. It drives me nuts. Elijah Bryant is a solid player - BYUs best by quite a stretch. He goes for 29. It's just unacceptable to me.

The second is player development. Who's better this year? Rawson might be. We'll see how he does in Pac play. A simple example. Look at Johnson's free throw shooting. How in the hell do coaches not change that motion? Why is Collette worse this year? Why is Barefield the same - completely inconsistent. I know that the players have to take a lot of responsibility but it's frustrating to see so little player improvement between and during seasons.

A little bit of venting because I don't like losing to the rival. My optimism isn't much higher than Seattle's. This is a .500 team in the Pac-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post

To the questions on Yoeli Childs. Yoeli was a Ute until the day he committed to BYU. We slow played him. I forget who the other 4s were we recruited that year (because we didn't get them). It was just a matter of he got tired of waiting. I don't know that I can blame Utah but he's definitely a case of you can't measure heart. He would really help this team.

As for tonight. i agree with those who note Tillman missing. We missed him but BYU missed Nixon. He's a similar player for them with a better outside shot. I'd still take Tillman - especially long term, but both teams were missing key players.

LA - you'll hate me for this but I have to return to two things that continue to frustrate me about Coach K and the staff. The first is defense. Coach Majerus virtually erased the number one and number two scoring options with amazing consistency. Utah rarely does this under Coach K. It drives me nuts. Elijah Bryant is a solid player - BYUs best by quite a stretch. He goes for 29. It's just unacceptable to me.

The second is player development. Who's better this year? Rawson might be. We'll see how he does in Pac play. A simple example. Look at Johnson's free throw shooting. How in the hell do coaches not change that motion? Why is Collette worse this year? Why is Barefield the same - completely inconsistent. I know that the players have to take a lot of responsibility but it's frustrating to see so little player improvement between and during seasons.

A little bit of venting because I don't like losing to the rival. My optimism isn't much higher than Seattle's. This is a .500 team in the Pac-12.
    I don’t mind criticisms of Larry, ‘biq. I like him and still think he was a good hire, but he has disappointed in several ways. End of game strategy and player motivation are a couple. I thought he was good at developing bigs (Washburn, Poeltl), but Collette may end up being the one Krysko whiffs on. He’s got good players coming in, so I’ll just hope.

--Yeats

Aw, we got beat. Badly. By our rival. Congrats to them. And, as predicted, the sun rose this morning.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post

I think part of the problem is the culture of the current team. We start 4 guys, 3 have been in the program 2 years and 1, 1 year. Bealer has been in the program longer. I think back to what LK did with Loveridge, Tucker and Brandon Taylor. They all progressed significantly on both ends of the court. I believe Rawson has improved a little as has Johnson. I think we tend to look at a 4* and think the guy is going to be a star, but sometimes they are just guys. We have had several 4* football recruits over the years who are just guys. Unfortunately, I don't think this culture will change with Barefield playing a significant role. He is just not interested in defending.

I hadn't watched any byu games this year, but this new 'defense' thing they are trying is a new look for P-Town. Same Rose offense with rotations and kicking out or in to open sharpshooters, but on defense they are vastly improved.

Heath Shroyer is a homerun hire, and his focus on smart basketball and proper rotations on Defense has made the cougars a much better team than we have seen in the past.

Oh well, they need to get one every five years or so. Good win cougars.

Our bench shot 2 for 10 and was outscored by BYU's bench 22 - 8. I think Tillman helps us in that category. Our bench is out rebounded 10 -5. He helps us there as well. All is not lost.

The wheels are coming off for the program this season. It is difficult to watch. I know we are a far better team with Donnie Tillman, and will be better with Chris Seeley. But we need them badly right now. I hope they return by February.

Next year we have what may turn out to be the best recruiting class ever. Top 5 certainly. Riley Battin, Timmy Allen, and Neseem Gaskin will be the real deal, and will be a huge boost to the program. But I am worried about the team this season and fear we are looking at a 12-win season.

I fear we have regressed to our late-2000s mean, and struggle to stretch beyond it.

MRD it’s a bet. I hope I’m wrong.
    I hope you are wrong too. My bet is more on the other teams being bad

Good god. If what you all are saying about Childs is true, our coaches are fools. He was an ESPN four star rated the 53d best player in the country, and we let BYU have him? What kind of hubris caused them to string him along and go head to head with Arizona and UCLA for something better. Now look at us with Rawson in the starting lineup.