Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Pre-Spring and Spring Football

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    That’s ok. But he will be right again.
    Any idea what onlyu has to say about the bitcoin market?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Any idea what onlyu has to say about the bitcoin market?
    No, but here is his comment last night about Singleton leaving:

Rae doesn’t love it here – never really did. He wants to go back to Texas which is closer to home for him. Not sure about family issues but if that’s what he said then I’ll accept that.He called Texas, Texas Tech and TCU. TCU told him no…the other two told him they would have a spot for him.Here’s my opinion on Rae…Top 3 round NFL talent. I swear he’s that good but he didn’t play the entire game because he was tired and couldn’t go. Awful…I mean awful conditioning. One of the laziest players we’ve ever had come through here. That sounds like sour grapes because he’s on his way out…not true. With his talent he should be a Carrington type guy – period and everybody sees it.I hope that a change of scenery helps him find that work ethic because if it does he is a next level guy.I said a few weeks back and Utah said it above:Thompson and Boyd outside and Simpkins, Covey and Nacua inside next year.I believe that Rae would have lost the starting role but would have played plenty. With Hampton and Wilson as the 2’s and hopefully with an addition or two in the next few weeks we are plenty deep and plenty talented. Not sure how Covey comes back this first year but he’s a gamer so he’ll be in the mix for sure.No other players that get significant time are leaving at this point.

Casey Hughes is heading to Michigan.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

A couple quick thoughts....odd move to get playing time

And anyone who says there’s no contact between schools and players has their head buried in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...if he goes to Nevada, nobody bats an eye...Michigan at least makes you think he had a conversation beforehand.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Given that players who redshirt often graduate early, is there any reason to redshirt an incoming freshman?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Given that players who redshirt often graduate early, is there any reason to redshirt an incoming freshman?
    I don’t think that changes too much anyways. If they can see the field, then let them play.

I think what it does is if you have a senior that has value rated at 77/100 and a true freshman rated between 73-80/100, in years past you’d redshirt him.

Nowadays, you’d play him.

Also, one of Whitt successes is he graduates kids. He keeps kids here during the summer and enrolled in school. The by product is that a lot of kids graduate early, after only three years in the program. The downside is, you give kids a chance to leave where at other schools they wouldn’t even graduate (Tui’kolovatu).

As much as that sucks, I’d rather do the good and lose some kids. I love what Whitt has done and being at the top of the PAC-12 in APR is a HUGE part of that.

I’d bet 100% that he was told he wasn’t likely to see the field.

Swish!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Swish!
    Lol. You really are something.

Also, Pease was on the radio Monday. When asked if Utah would miss Hughes at all, Pease said not at all.

Riley then said, is it because he wouldn’t start or does Utah have the depth that even with injuries they wouldn’t miss Hughes.

Pease said that even with injuries he wouldn’t be missed. That he’s never seen so much talent in Utah’s secondary.

So, you have multiple people with ties to the U vs applejack.

You decide who you want to believe.

I don't understand why this has to be someone's right and someone's wrong. Utah, there's no question Hughes would not have started but there's also no question that he would have helped us as a rotation corner back. In the case of injury, he may have become a starter. The kid did some terrific things for us last season. I also love that he's taken care of academics and worked himself up the depth chart while at Utah. While you give credit to Kyle for having a system that graduates players, let's not forget the players' role. They are putting in the work. I don't like losing players who demonstrate that kind of ethic. I understand it and I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I don't understand why this has to be someone's right and someone's wrong. Utah, there's no question Hughes would not have started but there's also no question that he would have helped us as a rotation corner back. In the case of injury, he may have become a starter. The kid did some terrific things for us last season. I also love that he's taken care of academics and worked himself up the depth chart while at Utah. While you give credit to Kyle for having a system that graduates players, let's not forget the players' role. They are putting in the work. I don't like losing players who demonstrate that kind of ethic. I understand it and I wish him well.
    Isn't he going as a graduate transfer? If so, he probably is in a grad program of some kind at Michigan, and he gets the first year's tuition paid along with the chance at a Michigan graduate degree. If he were my kid that'd be a no-brainer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Isn't he going as a graduate transfer? If so, he probably is in a grad program of some kind at Michigan, and he gets the first year's tuition paid along with the chance at a Michigan graduate degree. If he were my kid that'd be a no-brainer.
    Yes to be part of Michigan grad school fraternity is truly life changing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

He gets a shot to start at safety at Michigan vs fighting to see the field here.

I think it’s a no brainer for him. I hope he does well, even though I grew up hating Michigan. Trash, those lot I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I guess, but he could get the first year's tuition paid in a graduate program at Utah, too. Depending on the program, on how he feels about living in SLC vs Ann Arbor, how he feels about playing time, position coaches, friends, weather, and being a part of a historical Rose Bowl Utah team, it's not entirely a no-brainer.
    I admit "no-brainer" was overstated. But it would weigh heavily in favor of going, even if he wants to settle in SLC eventually. An out-of-state grad degree from a top school has more luster in Utah than a home-based one.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

He gets a shot to start at safety at Michigan vs fighting to see the field here.

I think it’s a no brainer for him. I hope he does well, even though I grew up hating Michigan. Trash, those lot I tell ya.
    1) Utah will win more games than Michigan next year, and...

2) It won't matter one bit for Casey Hughes, because he will get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear/feel 107,000 people simultaneously cheer for him. That alone has to be an ethereal experience.

Oh, and grad school/change of scenery/different experience will all be good for him as well.

If you can handle Gunther and Hacket, Kyle was on with them yesterday: https://espn700sports.com/interviews...coach-2-26-18/

If you can handle Gunther and Hacket, Kyle was on with them yesterday: https://espn700sports.com/interviews...coach-2-26-18/
    Coach Whitt is still high on Jack Tuttle, hopes to see good things this spring. Huntley is up to 195 pounds. Covey will not participate in spring ball. Gary Anderson will help coach the d-line with Lewis Powell.

Man, I haven’t been this excited for any coach or player since Erickson was added to the staff.

It’s so nice to have Gary back. It’s funny how many said he’d never be back at Utah. Ha ha.

A great coach. We are lucky to have him.

Scalley has done a great job at DC the last two years. I can’t wait to see what he can do with a Gary led DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Covey will not participate in spring ball.
    Why not?

Why not?
    arrives home too late to be eligible. had to be enrolled earlier, I think.

Why not?
    Kyle said on the interview that he wouldn't be in good enough shape for spring ball. Said he'd be 'an injury waiting to happen'

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Kyle said on the interview that he wouldn't be in good enough shape for spring ball. Said he'd be 'an injury waiting to happen'
    Also said he is a proven commodity and no need to put that at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    arrives home too late to be eligible. had to be enrolled earlier, I think.
    Yeah he’s not home until 3/7 I believe. Way too late to be enrolled

It’s so nice to have Gary back. It’s funny how many said he’d never be back at Utah. Ha ha.

A great coach. We are lucky to have him.

I am happy to see Gary coaching the DL. He is fabulous to have on staff.

AND, I never want to see him become the HC at Utah.

Where did Francis Bernard end up?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    Where did Francis Bernard end up?
    SLCC. We will find out more this fall.

Speaking of Mr. Bernard, our LB crew will be an absolute strength this year. Maybe as good or better than the Paul/Norris year.

Hansen - dude has NFL written all over him, especially at LB. just needs to stay healthy.
    Thompson - he was our best LB by the end of the year. Just a mini Gionni Paul.

Lund - will see if he can play this year, but has everything you could want at LB.

Barton - solid. Very solid by the end of the year.

Others: Chris Hart, Pirtle, Lloyd, Mata’afa.

LB is quickly turning into an area of strength in this defense.

You saw us run a lot of 3-3-5 towards the end of last year. With Gary Andersen, Thompson, Barton and Lund, we will see a lot more of it. Especially with Hansen, Hart, Pirtle and Bernard coming off the edges.

Yeah, I said Bernard. It wouldn’t shock me to see him playing for us next year either.

Our defense is looking amazing for next year. Just unreal.

Utah,
    What has you so convinced that Hansen will be at linebacker? I mean that question honestly. I haven't heard Kyle speak to this publicly. In the interviews I've heard he's continued to list Chase as a safety or as a playmaker they'll move around some. I also don't share your optimism that he's a linebacker in the NFL. I think he's a strong safety if he gets there. I say "if" because I worry about injuries. Hansen's injury was pretty serious.

I am excited about Chase. I think the defensive brain trust creates a hybrid role for Chase that lines him up anywhere from the line, at linebacker and in the secondary on any given down. I don't know this. I just think they'd be crazy not to turn him loose, depending on down and distance, to be in a play-making role.

Chris Hart also jumped out at me in your email. Who's told you he's a linebacker now or are you just putting him there in a 3-3-5 setting to rush from an edge?

I do agree that the 'backers are taking shape. I hope that Pirtle really makes a difference coming from JC and that Lloyd begins to see time with Lund.

I'm a little skeptical that we'll see more 3-3-5 this season. I see it as a change-up. This team still seems built for a traditional 4-down linemen and even 5-down linemen at times - especially if Mika Tafua, Chris Hart and Maxs Tupai progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Utah,
    What has you so convinced that Hansen will be at linebacker? I mean that question honestly. I haven't heard Kyle speak to this publicly. In the interviews I've heard he's continued to list Chase as a safety or as a playmaker they'll move around some. I also don't share your optimism that he's a linebacker in the NFL. I think he's a strong safety if he gets there. I say "if" because I worry about injuries. Hansen's injury was pretty serious.

I am excited about Chase. I think the defensive brain trust creates a hybrid role for Chase that lines him up anywhere from the line, at linebacker and in the secondary on any given down. I don't know this. I just think they'd be crazy not to turn him loose, depending on down and distance, to be in a play-making role.
    Kyle told Riley Chase would play at least part time at LB, and Chase told Lynn Worthy that’s where he thinks he’ll play more in the box because the secondary is so squared away

Regarding Hansen:

1- it’s what I’ve been told.
    2- Kyle has said it over and over all spring. Most recently on Gunther’s show in the last day or two.
    3- on Utah’s Football site, Hansen is listed as a LB.

As far as Hart goes:

1- same. They want him in the field. In a 3-3-5 lineup, Hart can play OLB and rush the passer.

Side note: we get caught up in a 5-1 front, 3-4 front and 3-3 front. They are all the same in a lot of ways. Hell, they are all variations of a 4-3.

The difference is mainly size of the players. For example, a 5-1 is a 3-4 with a DT as a middle LB. A 3-3 front is the same as a 3-4 but you have a safety playing the MLB position.

This is extremely simplified, BUT the point stands. We are deep and diverse and we will move bodies around to create confusion. With the talent we have, we can run multiple fronts. It’s the same plays, just different players.

Hart is also listed as a LB. He could move back to DE for fall, but let’s see what he can do rushing the passer from the LB spot vs the DE spot. Especially if you are going to run a 3 DL front more often and Tupai is doing very well setting the edge.

It’s fun. A position that historically been weaker is really shaping up to deep and nasty.