Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 179

Thread: 2018 Pre-Spring and Spring Football

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    .

    It’s so nice to have Gary back. It’s funny how many said he’d never be back at Utah. Ha ha.

    A great coach. We are lucky to have him.

    .
    I am happy to see Gary coaching the DL. He is fabulous to have on staff.

    AND, I never want to see him become the HC at Utah.

  2. #92
    Where did Francis Bernard end up?

  3. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    Where did Francis Bernard end up?
    SLCC. We will find out more this fall.

  4. #94
    Speaking of Mr. Bernard, our LB crew will be an absolute strength this year. Maybe as good or better than the Paul/Norris year.

    Hansen - dude has NFL written all over him, especially at LB. just needs to stay healthy.
    Thompson - he was our best LB by the end of the year. Just a mini Gionni Paul.

    Lund - will see if he can play this year, but has everything you could want at LB.

    Barton - solid. Very solid by the end of the year.

    Others: Chris Hart, Pirtle, Lloyd, Mata’afa.

    LB is quickly turning into an area of strength in this defense.

    You saw us run a lot of 3-3-5 towards the end of last year. With Gary Andersen, Thompson, Barton and Lund, we will see a lot more of it. Especially with Hansen, Hart, Pirtle and Bernard coming off the edges.

    Yeah, I said Bernard. It wouldn’t shock me to see him playing for us next year either.

    Our defense is looking amazing for next year. Just unreal.

  5. #95
    Utah,
    What has you so convinced that Hansen will be at linebacker? I mean that question honestly. I haven't heard Kyle speak to this publicly. In the interviews I've heard he's continued to list Chase as a safety or as a playmaker they'll move around some. I also don't share your optimism that he's a linebacker in the NFL. I think he's a strong safety if he gets there. I say "if" because I worry about injuries. Hansen's injury was pretty serious.

    I am excited about Chase. I think the defensive brain trust creates a hybrid role for Chase that lines him up anywhere from the line, at linebacker and in the secondary on any given down. I don't know this. I just think they'd be crazy not to turn him loose, depending on down and distance, to be in a play-making role.

    Chris Hart also jumped out at me in your email. Who's told you he's a linebacker now or are you just putting him there in a 3-3-5 setting to rush from an edge?

    I do agree that the 'backers are taking shape. I hope that Pirtle really makes a difference coming from JC and that Lloyd begins to see time with Lund.

    I'm a little skeptical that we'll see more 3-3-5 this season. I see it as a change-up. This team still seems built for a traditional 4-down linemen and even 5-down linemen at times - especially if Mika Tafua, Chris Hart and Maxs Tupai progress.

  6. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Utah,
    What has you so convinced that Hansen will be at linebacker? I mean that question honestly. I haven't heard Kyle speak to this publicly. In the interviews I've heard he's continued to list Chase as a safety or as a playmaker they'll move around some. I also don't share your optimism that he's a linebacker in the NFL. I think he's a strong safety if he gets there. I say "if" because I worry about injuries. Hansen's injury was pretty serious.

    I am excited about Chase. I think the defensive brain trust creates a hybrid role for Chase that lines him up anywhere from the line, at linebacker and in the secondary on any given down. I don't know this. I just think they'd be crazy not to turn him loose, depending on down and distance, to be in a play-making role.
    Kyle told Riley Chase would play at least part time at LB, and Chase told Lynn Worthy that’s where he thinks he’ll play more in the box because the secondary is so squared away



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #97
    Regarding Hansen:

    1- it’s what I’ve been told.
    2- Kyle has said it over and over all spring. Most recently on Gunther’s show in the last day or two.
    3- on Utah’s Football site, Hansen is listed as a LB.

    As far as Hart goes:

    1- same. They want him in the field. In a 3-3-5 lineup, Hart can play OLB and rush the passer.

    Side note: we get caught up in a 5-1 front, 3-4 front and 3-3 front. They are all the same in a lot of ways. Hell, they are all variations of a 4-3.

    The difference is mainly size of the players. For example, a 5-1 is a 3-4 with a DT as a middle LB. A 3-3 front is the same as a 3-4 but you have a safety playing the MLB position.

    This is extremely simplified, BUT the point stands. We are deep and diverse and we will move bodies around to create confusion. With the talent we have, we can run multiple fronts. It’s the same plays, just different players.

    Hart is also listed as a LB. He could move back to DE for fall, but let’s see what he can do rushing the passer from the LB spot vs the DE spot. Especially if you are going to run a 3 DL front more often and Tupai is doing very well setting the edge.

    It’s fun. A position that historically been weaker is really shaping up to deep and nasty.

  8. #98
    8 players out for spring (see if I can remember):

    Paulo, Capra, J Johnson, Afia, DHC, Thompson, Blair...and someone else. Maybe Hekking.

  9. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    8 players out for spring (see if I can remember):

    Paulo, Capra, J Johnson, Afia, DHC, Thompson, Blair...and someone else. Maybe Hekking.
    Shyne?
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  10. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Shyne?
    Whitt was on the radio, he literally pulled up a list of players on his computer while talking. You can hear him clicking around. He then read off the 8 players sitting out.

    I say all of that, so say that it would be safe to assume that Shyne is 100% and ready to go (and he is). Woohoo!

    We are so freaking stacked. Look at every position. It's crazy. I said this earlier, but it is shocking how far we've come. A few years ago we had Dres at WR and nothing else. Now, we have 5 WR's with his potential and ability. And it's like this at most positions. It's crazy.

  11. #101



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #102



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  13. #103
    Viane moala, a DT for Hawaii, is transferring to the Utes. He'll have to redshirt for a year and will be a redshirt junior when he plays for us.

    I know nothing about rainbow warrior football, but the guy is 6'7 and has blocked four kicks during his career so this one has scout team all-star written all over it.

  14. #104
    “Anything less than a Rose Bowl would be a disappointment this year.”

    - John Pease, today

  15. #105
    Is it just me or is there a not so subtle jab here.

    Huntley.JPG

  16. #106
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,277
    This video of Tuttle throwing the ball makes me tingly.


  17. #107
    That ball comes out of there quick.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  18. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Is it just me or is there a not so subtle jab here.

    Huntley.JPG
    I don’t get it.

  19. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I don’t get it.
    "gap"

  20. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    "gap"
    I guess it wouldn't have jumped out at me if Huntley was actually "plugging a gap" this year. But as a returning starter, using his photo didn't make sense. Except for "the gap."

  21. #111



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I guess it wouldn't have jumped out at me if Huntley was actually "plugging a gap" this year. But as a returning starter, using his photo didn't make sense. Except for "the gap."
    It is never to early for Whitt to find some bulletin board material! :wink:

  23. #113
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,722
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This video of Tuttle throwing the ball makes me tingly.

    Like.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  24. #114

  25. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This video of Tuttle throwing the ball makes me tingly.

    I'm no expert at evaluating QBs, but it looks like he has a pretty quick release, and a lot of zip.

  26. #116
    Simi Moala reminds me of Jeff Kaufusi - except he looks broader/stronger. Jeff was a solid defensive end.

    I remember a little of the drama around Moala's high school recruiting. We wanted this guy a lot. Some on the board will remember that he and Thor Katoa went Oregon State's way late, largely because of Anderson and Sitake. Anyway, that is one mature freshman. He looks like he's the new defensive line assistant - not a freshman d'end.
    Last edited by Utebiquitous; 03-07-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Grammar

  27. #117
    A nice welcoming crew at the airport. Pretty cool to see Tuttle reaching out already.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #118
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    A nice welcoming crew at the airport. Pretty cool to see Tuttle reaching out already.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Covey is supposedly 5'8"


  29. #119
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,722
    I am in SLC and had a business lunch today at Little America. As we were coming out I saw B. Covey with a group of people, all in a happy celebratory mood. He was still in his suit and wearing his missionary name tag, so I guess he was fresh off the plane and hadn't even been released yet. Anyway, as I walked by him I quietly said, "Go Utes!" That brought a laugh from him and everyone around him.

    Having walked right by him I must say, he is not a very big guy at all. Very slight build, I think he might be 5'8", because my daughter is 5'7" and he was about her size. Maybe her same size. So 5'8" might be a bit of a stretch.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  30. #120
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,277
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am in SLC and had a business lunch today at Little America. As we were coming out I saw B. Covey with a group of people, all in a happy celebratory mood. He was still in his suit and wearing his missionary name tag, so I guess he was fresh off the plane and hadn't even been released yet. Anyway, as I walked by him I quietly said, "Go Utes!" That brought a laugh from him and everyone around him.

    Having walked right by him I must say, he is not a very big guy at all. Very slight build, I think he might be 5'8", because my daughter is 5'7" and he was about her size. Maybe her same size. So 5'8" might be a bit of a stretch.
    I have no idea how he walks around at that height. I mean, it's gotta be tough with how big his testicles are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •