Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 2018 Pre-Spring and Spring Football

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Anyone care to report on the spring game? Wasn't that today?
    Highest scoring Spring game in recent memory. So defense is garbage.

Special teams won it again with a last second Gay 57 yard field goal.

Tuttle fumbled a snap for a 33 yard loss and threw two turnovers. Lisk was lit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Anyone care to report on the spring game? Wasn't that today?
    - good crowd, I'd say about 12k, and I was surprised to see that many people tailgating beforehand, both sides were about 1/3 full

- Tuttle has a great arm and he's deceptively fast, he had a couple of runs for first downs, but he overthrew two receivers for INT's

- It was nice to see the offense use the tight end more, 1 of our poly tight ends had 6 catches

- Whitt was showing off his calves, which are as big as ever and are already tanned. I got my annual first sunburn

- I walked around campus afterward with some friends and watched several incoming freshman and their parents touring the campus, that always gets me a little choked up (great times, great memories)
    Last edited by Scorcho; 04-15-2018 at 05:22 PM.

So many starters were held out, so it's really hard to get any kind of sense for how good the guys are that flashed, but I'll take a stab at it:

- Hauati Pututau (#41 DL) had a couple of really nice plays and appears to be a monster. I think he'll be a handful moving forward.

- #31, the white long haired RB is Joey Wood (#32 in your program) is a JC RB. Seems like more of a fullback/h-back type (so how did he end up at Utah?). Maybe we'll see him in goal-to-go situations.

- Shyne looked like he hadn't played much football for 2 years...hopefully he shakes that off.

- Jalen Dixon (#25) had a couple of nice plays. Seems fast and shifty, a nice compliment to Covey on those inside routes.

- Terek Lewis (#5) looks like he is going to step right in and play in some capacity. Looks the part, hopefully he can play the part. Folks have raved about the depth of the secondary, hopefully Lewis will be a part of that mix.

- Drew Lisk (QB - #12) had a few nice throws, so I guess if we get into a Jon Hayes situation, it's nice to know that we're in good hands.

All in all, nothing too remarkable, but always nice to see the Utes take the field at RES. Only 136 days until they kick off the 2018 campaign.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Not much of a surprise here. But nice to have another body in the middle.

I have noticed an interesting development over the past few years and that is the use of outside trainers by current college football and basketball players. Aspiring high school kids have used trainers for years to help them develop and to make contact with college coaches, but during my time working closely with Utah football (2005-2012) I cannot remember any players working with private trainers while they were members of the football teams. Players preparing for the NFL draft did so, but that was after the season ended. I wonder how college coaches feel about this. I bring this up because there have been a number of tweets from former BYU player Jordan Pendleton who has been working with recently returned missionary Cole Fotheringham. I also remember a story about Samson Nacua, Julian Blackmon and Nacua's younger brother working with a former BYU WR.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have noticed an interesting development over the past few years and that is the use of outside trainers by current college football and basketball players. Aspiring high school kids have used trainers for years to help them develop and to make contact with college coaches, but during my time working closely with Utah football (2005-2012) I cannot remember any players working with private trainers while they were members of the football teams. Players preparing for the NFL draft did so, but that was after the season ended. I wonder how college coaches feel about this. I bring this up because there have been a number of tweets from former BYU player Jordan Pendleton who has been working with recently returned missionary Cole Fotheringham. I also remember a story about Samson Nacua, Julian Blackmon and Nacua's younger brother working with a former BYU WR.
    There was a tweet about Covey working out with Pendleton as well. I think it makes a lot of sense for guys like Covey and Fotheringham who have to get back into shape post-mission, but I would think that once players are fully integrated with the program that the strength and conditioning stuff should be handled by the program.

So, I took this off twitter and thought it would be fun. Favorite all-time Utes.

QB: Alex Smith;
    RB: Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala;
    WR: Steve Smith;
    TE/Utility: Henry Lusk;
    OL: Asiata;
    DL: Luther Ellis;
    LB: Gionni Paul;
    CB: Andre Dyson;
    S: Robert Johnson;
    K: Louie Sakoda;
    P: Tom Hackett;
    KR/PR: Erroll Tucker

QB: Alex Smith;
    RB: Mike Anderson
    WR: Bryan Rowley
    TE/Utility: Dennis Smith
    OL: Jordan Gross
    DL: Luther Ellis
    LB: Kautai Olaveo Stevenson Sylvester
    CB: Sean Smith
    S: Eric Weddle
    K: Andre Guardi
    P: Tom Hackett
    KR/PR: Erroll Tucker

After thinking about it, I had to change out my LB choice.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 06-04-2018 at 07:45 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Three things I'd like to see in 2018 that will improve our chances considerably in winning the South:

1. The less time the ball is in Tyler Huntley's hands, the better we'll be. Vince Young, who is 100X the runner Tyler is, never had as many carries in a single season as Tyler did last year. Huntley's sack rate of 1/10.4 attempts is brutal, almost unforgivable. Troy Williams' was slightly better at 1/13.75; as a team, Utah was 103/130 nationally in sack percentage rate. Now, to be fair, Utah has been mediocre in this state for some time -- the last time it ranked anywhere close to the top half of all of CFB was in 2010, when we were fourth nationally. And with a spread option attack, sack rates are always higher for such offenses (We were not a spread-option team in 2010 with Jordan Wynn as our QB). But Huntley is the least dynamic player we have at the skill positions -- he needs to be passing more and handing off more, and running less. 5-7 times per game to keep teams honest.

2. A game-changer in the return game. For as dominant as our STs have been under Kyle, they've almost always included a dynamo in the return game (Shaky Smithson, Reggie Dunn, Kaelin Clay, Cory Butler-Byrd). While our punt return game last year was above average based on our Pac-12 history, last year's kickoff return game was our worst ever and well under the bar we've set in this area.

Kickoff return national team rankings in the Pac-12 era (based on average yards per return)
    2017: 116
    2016: 20
    2015: 46
    2014: 17
    2013: 111
    2012: 6
    2011: 35

Punt return national team ranking (also based on average yards per return)
    2017: 27
    2016: 70
    2015: 38
    2014: 8
    2013: 42
    2012: 104
    2011: 52

The good news is, having Britain Covey back should help. The bad news is (and it's not really bad, because it affects everyone), the new kickoff rules could adversely affect any threat we have in the kick return game.

3. Better luck in one-score games in league games, and playing in fewer of them.

2017: 1-4
    2016: 3-4
    2015: 2-2
    2014: 5-2
    2013: 2-3
    2012: 1-1
    2011: 1-2

We play in too many such games, and we're losing more of them as of late. There's a lot that can be said about such a stat, and not all years should be viewed in the same context. I've also taken out the non-con and bowl games from this (which would add significantly to the totals, most of them wins). We're simply not a team that's gonna apply many pillar-to-post whuppings under Kyle, but we can win more close games, or win more games by more than a single possession. I think part of our November failures over the years hasn't been the physical strain (because everyone has injuries), but the mental strain of playing so in so many nail-biting games.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 06-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    he needs to be passing more and handing off more, and running less. 5-7 times per game to keep teams honest.
    I'm interested to see what happens here. We ran the ball so much better when we didn't run RPOs last season. But I don't think we're ready to give up on the RPO. I hope we either:

1) Figure out the RPO and make it the core of the offense. If it's working, Huntley should mostly be passing, pitching, or handing off. The 5-7 carry quota will happen naturally as Huntley learns to read the defense and as the offense learns to play RPO.

or

2) We abandon the RPO altogether.

What I hope doesn't happen is a hybrid where we sometimes are RPO and sometimes more traditional. I just think that sounds like a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none scenario.

Tyquez Hampton to transfer. ��

2018 Utah OL

The 2017 OL lacked experience with only 1 returning full-time starter and 1 additional player with starting experience. 2018 finds us with 4 returning full-time starters (Barton, Falamaka, Agasiva and Paulo and 2 others (Havili-Katoa and Toala) with significant playing time. Experience along the OL alone should allow the Ute offense to be more productive in 2018 than 2017.

Offensive line is a position group that requires players to communicate and rely on one another in order to be effective. The only way to build the trust that leads to success is by playing together. I don’t think this group has the same level of talent as the 2016 group, but with a year under their belts, they should show improvement and greater productivity.

I anticipate that the starters going into the season will consist of 3 seniors Barton LT, Falamaka C and Agasiva RG and 2 juniors Paulo RT and Capra LG. Capra will be pushed by senior Havili-Katoa and junior Toala and Paulo/Barton will be pushed by redshirt freshman Nick Ford, who by all accounts made great strides in spring ball. If, Falamaka sustains an injury, I believe Capra will move over to center.

The only upperclassman who has not found his way onto the field is junior Keven Dixon and with 4 senior OL, it will be important for the coaches to develop underclassmen Jake Grant (So), Tucker Scott (So), Orlando Umama (So), Mo Unatoa (RsFr), returned missionary and former Oregon St. signee Simi Moala and true freshman Braeden Daniels.

On the recruiting front, the Utes will anticipate that highly regarded 2016 signee Johnny Maea will return for 2019 and the sole current verbal commitment is from Lucas Child, an OL from Timpview. According to Scout, the Utes have offered about 25 offensive linemen and OL should be an area of emphasis in this recruiting class.

Scratch, who I believe once lived in the San Clemente area, posted on Utefans that Tucker Scott has medically retired. However, he is still listed on the roster as of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Tyquez Hampton to transfer. ��
    That appears to be the case. I'm not sure what to make of both Singleton and Hampton transferring. I understand Singleton is going to Houston and will be closer to family. It will be interesting to see where Hampton ends up. Maybe his decision is as simple as seeing himself No. 5 or 6 at the outside receiver positions behind Mariner, Nacua, Simpkins, Boyd, Thompson and Solomon Enis.

OnlyU's analysis of Hampton transfer

Wasn’t in the mix for playing time…struggled to pick up the offense and struggled to gel here for whatever reason. Plenty of talent but writing on the wall…hopefully he can figure it out wherever he ends up. Hasn’t been around for anything since school let out. Everyone knew something was up.Mariner, Boyd, Thompson, Simpkins, Nacua, Covey, Enis, Perriman, Dixon, Field all see the field before Tyquez. It’s a loss but the impact is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    OnlyU's analysis of Hampton transfer

Wasn’t in the mix for playing time…struggled to pick up the offense and struggled to gel here for whatever reason. Plenty of talent but writing on the wall…hopefully he can figure it out wherever he ends up. Hasn’t been around for anything since school let out. Everyone knew something was up.Mariner, Boyd, Thompson, Simpkins, Nacua, Covey, Enis, Perriman, Dixon, Field all see the field before Tyquez. It’s a loss but the impact is minimal.
    Was Enis here for spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    Was Enis here for spring?
    No he was not

This is interesting. Phil Steele ranks all of the DEs by their draftability. Utah’s highest is not Bradley Anae but Viane Moala, the University of Hawaii transfer that has to sit out this year. That seems pretty insane to me. Is he really expected to be a solid contributor for us? Will he get any reps in fall camp even though he can’t play until next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This is interesting. Phil Steele ranks all of the DEs by their draftability. Utah’s highest is not Bradley Anae but Viane Moala, the University of Hawaii transfer that has to sit out this year. That seems pretty insane to me. Is he really expected to be a solid contributor for us? Will he get any reps in fall camp even though he can’t play until next year?

That's news to me. When I see "transfer from u Hawaii", I instinctively pray that he can one day contribute on special teams.

So he has to sit out even with the new rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    So he has to sit out even with the new rule?
    The rule change did not address the requirement that a player sit out or a year. It simply means that coaches cannot prevent a player from receiving a scholarship if he transfers to a blocked school. USU did that to Dave Collette, so he had to pay for his first year at the U.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The rule change did not address the requirement that a player sit out or a year. It simply means that coaches cannot prevent a player from receiving a scholarship if he transfers to a blocked school. USU did that to Dave Collette, so he had to pay for his first year at the U.
    Which is good, in my opinion.