Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

That was a really fun road win. I have no idea if it was part of the gameplan or not, but it seemed like we gave ASU a lot of real easy layups in the first half, which on the surface your like "come on guys." However, perhaps if you give them open layups, they aren't bombing threes and swinging the momentum, getting the crowd involved, etc. Again, hard to imagine that was actually the gameplan, but it worked really well in the second half.

Seems like the light has gone on for Jayce Johnson, and Barefiled in the second half last night looked like the Barefield we saw in his debut during the Diamond Head Classic last year. I think he needs a little more freedom to fill it up.

It will be interesting to see how the league treats Hurley & his team moving forward. They very clearly have a gameplan to push the edge as far as in-game behavior goes. The double tech on Bibbins and Evans last night was a direct result of them giving ASU a lot of leeway.

Now we head to Tuscon with house money! After the next two on the road, the Utes will finish with 5 of 7 at home, and can certainly finish in that 4-5-6 range if they can step it up. If they can nab another road win or two, they probably move themselves on to the bubble. First thing's first though. Arizona.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I’m just wondering. I couldn’t see the ASU game because of a business dinner. I’ve now read the news reports and listened to Riley, Soto and LK on the post-game show. We obviously pulled off a thrilling OT win. But...that was apparently in spite of yet another end-of-game meltdown by the Utes. I don’t want to be a glass-half-empty guy; just wondering about the tendency of Larry’s teams to lose their poise in crunch time. We’ve seen that throughout his tenure. Am I being too hard on them and him? Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m just wondering. I couldn’t see the ASU game because of a business dinner. I’ve now read the news reports and listened to Riley, Soto and LK on the post-game show. We obviously pulled off a thrilling OT win. But...that was apparently in spite of yet another end-of-game meltdown by the Utes. I don’t want to be a glass-half-empty guy; just wondering about the tendency of Larry’s teams to lose their poise in crunch time. We’ve seen that throughout his tenure. Am I being too hard on them and him? Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?
    We greatly missed Justin Bibbins in the overtime. We ended the game with turnover, turnover, turnover, 0-2 free throws, 1-2 free throws. But I also don't think we got lucky either. For as much as we were discombobulated on offense, we really were dialed in on defense. Thats just my 1/50 of a dollar though.

It was both. Dave Collette missed two free throws that gave ASU another chance, but ASU also had some serious breaks go their way, not the least of which was Bibbins fouling out. There was a sequence where ASU missed a three, missed the putback, Micky Mitchell got it, took about 7 steps that weren't called. So, the short answer is yes, there was a bit of a meltdown, but in that atmosphere in that situation against that team, it is still a solid win. Now, Larry was trying to call timeout on the Barefield miss...which when he launched it there was about 2.5 seconds left, so I'm not sure what he thought he was going to draw up in that scenario.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?
    yes

a bit of both, we did everything possible to give this game away (PVD, Collette), but some heroic performances by Barefield, Jayce pulled this out. Additionally ASU missed a ton of layups and open three's.

I agree with the others. Little of both. I also think we tend to remember the melt downs and tend to forget the times we solidly close games out.

At any rate, a road win against a ranked team is something to celebrate, regardless of how the last few minutes played out.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    That was a really fun road win. I have no idea if it was part of the gameplan or not,
    I'm pretty sure the gameplan was for Clark Barefield to go behind the Curtain of Distraction and emerge as Superman.

When the Utes have 3 players scoring (last night for awhile it was Jayce, Bibbins, and Rawson), it's pretty sweet to see the ball move around.

I wish Seeley had played. He wouldn't have taken that ASU crap when they were goading Bibbins.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?

"It doesn't make any sense, Admiral.
    Yamamoto had everything going for him, power, experience, confidence... Were we better than the Japanese, or just luckier?"

Attached Images Attached Images
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Loved all the post game comments that AZ St should have fouled, whereas Hurley was telling them to back off—not foul.
    Hope local press calls him out.

If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree with the others. Little of both. I also think we tend to remember the melt downs and tend to forget the times we solidly close games out.

At any rate, a road win against a ranked team is something to celebrate, regardless of how the last few minutes played out.
    Oh, I agree. I love the the win. I still think Larry needs to get better at preparing his players for crunch time, and at managing those final seconds. It’s just not a place where he excels. He said on the postgame show that he was trying to call time out before Barefield’s shot at the end of regulation but couldn’t get anyone’s attention. That’s not reassuring.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-27-2018 at 12:05 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Alkins apparently not playing due to a foot injury.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

Ouch...so far.

Ayton is a freak....and to have another 7 footer to pair with him? Hard to deal with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ayton hitting a three? Ristic hitting garbage? Reminds me of the start at UCLA.

Akot gets to play with Alkins out. Man, he is not polished at all. And Gus Johnson called him "Ayot". Hee hee.

Bibbins forgot he was 5’Nothing there

Hate it when Collette does his cute church-ball moves inside the paint against superior athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Ayton is a freak....and to have another 7 footer to pair with him? Hard to deal with that.

How heavy do you think the bag of cash that was "accidentally" dropped on ayton's floor was?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Akot gets to play with Alkins out. Man, he is not polished at all. And Gus Johnson called him "Ayot". Hee hee.
    Well that 80k he got was probably worth it

U of pAy!
    U of pAy!

Bear down and drop that bag of cash!

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

This is probably Bibbins worst game of the season

The Tillman show! Posterized that loser with the bad hair. Then, they tried to have wuss Randolph guard him in the post. Dr Detroit is used to posting up big guys. Wuss Randolph has no chance down there.

I just turned in and saw UA’s big stiff hit a three. Apparently they can’t miss today. It doesn’t help that we let them take uncontested shots.

--Yeats

I just turned in and saw UA’s big stiff hit a three. Apparently they can’t miss today. It doesn’t help that we let them take uncontested shots.
    That's his 2nd of the day. He could take 100 shots in warm ups without hitting 2, but he goes 2-2 against us.

Open threes for Ristic should be a good thing for us.

Yeah. He was 0-5 coming in to today.

Trier should have been called for 2 technicals now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Trier should have been called for 2 technicals now.
    That was an intentional trip. If he was a white guy at Duke, the internet would be blowing up right now.

Just noticed Lorenzo Romar is down in Tucson. I wonder how much better this team would be without him?

Seriously, though, why doesn't Ayton get the ball more? That guy is amazing.

PVD with a big 3!

Personal foul. Hustle on Bibbins. No hustle allowed!

If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

That was an intentional trip.
    And yet he complained about it vociferously. I don’t like that kid.

--Yeats