Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    meanwhile this Oregon vs. AZ game is excellent, Oregon leads late
    https://twitter.com/JDUteZone/status/952277096029540352

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think we will foul everyone out again, but ASU is an opponent where we have a clear post advantage. I want to see Collette with 20+ tomorrow night. If we add some outside shooting to that (which has been a real problem on the road), we can win. We should heat check Barefield early. He's got to get out of this road-woes thing.
    I can’t handle not seeing the game thread at the top.
    Lets get this started!
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Arizona came out flat against Colorado, which means they'll probably blitz us on Saturday. 30-30 at the half.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Jayce has done a terrific job so far. Bibbin...still the man.

I'll take a 7 point lead at half

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Don't fall in love with the 3.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

PVD can't hit the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    PVD can't hit the ocean.
    I'd rather have Dick Van Dyke taking those

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    PVD can't hit the ocean.
    He must be a helluva practice player.

I've quit hoping pvd will hit an open 3

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Pac 12 refs are so bad.. both ways

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I've quit hoping pvd will hit an open 3

I just pray that he minimizes number of turnovers. And he finally hits a 3!

He was moving! That is a block

Barefield...unreal.

yup...3 turnovers in a row. Two were from butter-gingers.

Unbelievable....two bricks in a row.

We survived!

Huge win.

Well how about that ?

the last minute and a half
    3 turnovers 1-4 ft and we still win

the last minute and a half
    3 turnovers 1-4 ft and we still win

pfft, had em all the way

Is this the team that wins in eugene and tucson?

Is this the team that wins in eugene and tucson?

Maybe so. . . Maybe so.

What a great road win, with the long FG drought, Bibbins fouling out, the turnovers in OT, Collette missing 2 FTs at the end....and they made it happen

Pac 12 refs are so bad.. both ways

Basketball officiating at all levels is dreadful. It's to the point that a well reffed game is the exception to the rule. Pro ball is the absolute worst. Literally unwatchable for me. But, college & HS ball officiating is horrible as well. Its one of the primary reasons I just don't enjoy basketball like baseball or football.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Why no seely tonight?

That was a really fun road win. I have no idea if it was part of the gameplan or not, but it seemed like we gave ASU a lot of real easy layups in the first half, which on the surface your like "come on guys." However, perhaps if you give them open layups, they aren't bombing threes and swinging the momentum, getting the crowd involved, etc. Again, hard to imagine that was actually the gameplan, but it worked really well in the second half.

Seems like the light has gone on for Jayce Johnson, and Barefiled in the second half last night looked like the Barefield we saw in his debut during the Diamond Head Classic last year. I think he needs a little more freedom to fill it up.

It will be interesting to see how the league treats Hurley & his team moving forward. They very clearly have a gameplan to push the edge as far as in-game behavior goes. The double tech on Bibbins and Evans last night was a direct result of them giving ASU a lot of leeway.

Now we head to Tuscon with house money! After the next two on the road, the Utes will finish with 5 of 7 at home, and can certainly finish in that 4-5-6 range if they can step it up. If they can nab another road win or two, they probably move themselves on to the bubble. First thing's first though. Arizona.

I’m just wondering. I couldn’t see the ASU game because of a business dinner. I’ve now read the news reports and listened to Riley, Soto and LK on the post-game show. We obviously pulled off a thrilling OT win. But...that was apparently in spite of yet another end-of-game meltdown by the Utes. I don’t want to be a glass-half-empty guy; just wondering about the tendency of Larry’s teams to lose their poise in crunch time. We’ve seen that throughout his tenure. Am I being too hard on them and him? Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m just wondering. I couldn’t see the ASU game because of a business dinner. I’ve now read the news reports and listened to Riley, Soto and LK on the post-game show. We obviously pulled off a thrilling OT win. But...that was apparently in spite of yet another end-of-game meltdown by the Utes. I don’t want to be a glass-half-empty guy; just wondering about the tendency of Larry’s teams to lose their poise in crunch time. We’ve seen that throughout his tenure. Am I being too hard on them and him? Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?
    We greatly missed Justin Bibbins in the overtime. We ended the game with turnover, turnover, turnover, 0-2 free throws, 1-2 free throws. But I also don't think we got lucky either. For as much as we were discombobulated on offense, we really were dialed in on defense. Thats just my 1/50 of a dollar though.

It was both. Dave Collette missed two free throws that gave ASU another chance, but ASU also had some serious breaks go their way, not the least of which was Bibbins fouling out. There was a sequence where ASU missed a three, missed the putback, Micky Mitchell got it, took about 7 steps that weren't called. So, the short answer is yes, there was a bit of a meltdown, but in that atmosphere in that situation against that team, it is still a solid win. Now, Larry was trying to call timeout on the Barefield miss...which when he launched it there was about 2.5 seconds left, so I'm not sure what he thought he was going to draw up in that scenario.

Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?
    yes

a bit of both, we did everything possible to give this game away (PVD, Collette), but some heroic performances by Barefield, Jayce pulled this out. Additionally ASU missed a ton of layups and open three's.