Thread: You Just Can't Turn Down an Offer From Them...Utah hosts Stanford and Cal 2018

You Just Can't Turn Down an Offer From Them...Utah hosts Stanford and Cal 2018

The Utes return home this week after a tough loss in Boulder on Friday night. To quote a former Utah coach, "Ball didn't go in the hoop." Utah shot 30% from the field and from three point range. I expect that number to be higher at home.

Stanford is up first and the Trees are an interesting team. They come in at 13-11 with an RPI of 81, and an SOS of 25. All of their best wins are in conference, and 6 of their 11 losses are to teams in the top 50 of the RPI (UCLA is just outside at present at 56). They also have four guys that average in double figures (Travis, Humphrey, Pickens, and Davis).

Utah counters with a record of 13-9 and an RPI of 54, SOS of 46. The Ute's RPI got a boost with Washington and Missouri winning over the weekend, moving up to 35 and 31 respectively, though a trip to Seattle looms large for the squad next week. This will be a big opportunity for Jayce Johnson, because I think Reid Travis is going to have his way with Collette and get him into early foul trouble. The young big man is going to have to really step up in this game if we have a chance to win. Our guards are also going to have to play well and score, score, score. Barefield and Bibbins need to be hot from the three and we need some help from our bench.

Cal will be here on Saturday, and they are a shell of last year's team. They began the year taking Witchita St. to the wire in Maui, but since then have not played well, bringing with them a record of 7-6 and an RPI of 175. This is a game that only helps us in the win column, and nothing more.

Best case scenario for the weekend: Utah, Colorado, and Stanford all finish the weekend 7-6.

The rest of the league faces a big weekend as well, with Arizona and ASU hosting UCLA and USC respectively, that's three of the top four teams and the number seven team that is playing with some desperation, trying to cling to a tourney bid.

Also, the Oregon schools face the Washington schools in Oregon, so we'll see if the Huskies ride their momentum, or come back to earth.

It is one of only two weekends left where all of the teams play 2 games.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I can't wait to see how scratch responds to your title.

http://adage.com/article/special-rep...g-game/312080/

You think you're better than me? You think your @$#! don't stink?

they have that weird Cartwright kid--who was hurt 2 years ago.

It will be interesting what Vegas line is for this game.

I haven't heard much about it, but it appears that hte 1998 team is being honored saturday.

http://utahutes.com/sports/2017/2/8/...tion-page.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I haven't heard much about it, but it appears that hte 1998 team is being honored saturday.

http://utahutes.com/sports/2017/2/8/...tion-page.aspx
    And Mr. Huntsman is being honored prior to the Thursday game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegas lines:

Utes by 4 1/2,
    Oregon at home 6 1/2 over Washington
    AZ at home 8 over UCLA..

Crazy league

Very good first half, but the bigs are in foul trouble. I expect Larry to take the air out of the ball and shorten this game. Hopefully it works.

Also, someone should merge this thread with the other one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Utes are a better team

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Utes are a better team
    Yeah, but Travis is scary.

Pickens gonna have Seeley nightmares tonight.

Pac12 refs are so bad

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Pac12 refs are so bad
    It's our trademark.

How could Stanford be on the bubble cause they had a 3/4 if court shot to beat USC at home?

now the question... where do i spend my $100 Seattle Ute is going to send me?

Allen and Son's BBQ.

You'll have to remind him when we lose a couple in a row...that's the only time he shows up.

It will be in the form of a gift certificate to his favorite restaurant in Seattle, so problem solved.

Oh, and that $100 will buy you an appetizer, drink, and desert...

You Just Can't Turn Down an Offer From Them...Utah hosts Stanford and Cal 2018

This team can be pretty fun to watch some times.

It sure would be no CES to have Tillman around more. Sounds like he’s kind of in the doghouse over some school work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPI Nudges up to 56. As of right now, three more opportunities for RPI top 50 wins, and if ASU keeps winning, that could end up being an RPI top 25 win on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    RPI Nudges up to 56. As of right now, three more opportunities for RPI top 50 wins, and if ASU keeps winning, that could end up being an RPI top 25 win on the road.
    Hard to believe that our worst loss of the season is the UNLV game. The Rebels looked amazing that night.

It'll take a big win streak against teams that are better than we are, but there's still a glimmer of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

I can't wait to see how scratch responds to your title.
    Ha, I just saw this, but I think you're thinking of Sancho. He's the angry anti-Stanford guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Ha, I just saw this, but I think you're thinking of Sancho. He's the angry anti-Stanford guy.
    There's room on the bus for you, scratch.

Seeley was all over the place last night. He played better on D & had some nice moves around the basket--although some shots did not drop. And it is always fun to see them throw it up for him on an in-bounds play & watch him try to dunk it. He might actually finish a dunk some day.

Said it elsewhere--PVD played well last night. He of course can't hit 2 FTs, but his D & rebounding were at the time Utes pulled away. And he banged with Reid Travis underneath which is tough duty. Travis is a beast.

Plus Bibbins is so smart & tough--wish we had him for more time. His pass to Collette at end of half was perfectly timed. And at least once a game while dribbling he cuts in front of a Big & slows down & gets run over & flies to the floor to draw a foul. And always gets up.