Thread: Romney for Senate: Will Utah elect the anti-Trump?

Romney for Senate: Will Utah elect the anti-Trump?

Seems like we can use a thread on this. (Sorry, I am not even a Utahn,* but this one has national implications.)

We will see a lot of this in the coming months. Philip Klein is a hard-core, serious ideological purist on the right. I was waiting for him to write something like this:

Reminder: Mitt Romney has no ideological core, and we have no idea what kind of senator he would be

Klein thinks that the only thing Republicans need to do to win more elections is to be more conservative.

__________________________________________________ ______________
    *I do pay property takes in the state. That gives me some standing, doesn't it?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Romney will 100% win the second he announces. Hatch was very vulnerable in a Primary or a General election, but Mitt is a shoe-in.

And Mitt may be an anti-Trumper, but he will be 100% pro-McConnell and will fall in line on everything.

It will be hilarious, however, to watch the Trump machine flail in Utah in its attacks on Romney. The state may be super-Republican, but I think Trump turns the stomachs of nearly everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    It will be hilarious, however, to watch the Trump machine flail in Utah in its attacks on Romney.
    Completely agree.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    And Mitt may be an anti-Trumper, but he will be 100% pro-McConnell and will fall in line on everything.
    Party first!

Romney has earned my respect as a never-Trumper, but when it comes down to it, would he vote to remove Trump, if it jeopardized a SCOTUS pick?

Trump could be quarantined to a cage, slurred speech, foaming at the mouth, carpet bombing f-bombs and repeatedly pushing a fake nuclear launch button, while rubbing his genitals at any woman walking by, and I can see Romney saying "well, the Constitution does say the President has the right to choose Supreme Court justices, so I have to respect the Constitution".

Still, better than Hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Romney has earned my respect as a never-Trumper, but when it comes down to it, would he vote to remove Trump, if it jeopardized a SCOTUS pick?
    How would it jeopardize a judge pick? In a vote-to-remove-trump scenario, trump is replaced with another republican, right?

It's official:

Dear ________,

Iwanted you to be among the first to know: I am running for United States Senateto serve the people of Utah and bring Utah’s values to Washington. I hope you will join me in this journey.

As you are aware, Utahns are known for hard work, innovation, and our can-do pioneering spirit. But more than that, we are known as a people who serve, who care, and who rise to any occasion. As an experienced public servant and businessman, I am uniquely qualified to represent Utahns.

Utah has a lot to teach the politicians in Washington. Utah has balanced its budgets; Washington is buried in debt. Utah exports more abroad than it imports; Washington has that backwards. Utah welcomes legal immigrants from around the world; Washington sends immigrants a message of exclusion. And,on Utah’s Capitol Hill, people treat one another with respect.

I am ready to fight for this great state and advocate for solutions thatimprove the lives of Utahns.

Will you join me in this mission?

I ask for your support,and your vote. I look forward to meeting with you over the coming year.

Sincerely,

Mitt Romney
    Already the far right and the Trumpers are screaming. I read somewhere that Pres. Trump even made some phone calls to see if Romney could be stopped. Has a right-wing or Trumpian nutter appeared yet to challenge Mitt for the nomination?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's official:

Already the far right and the Trumpers are screaming. I read somewhere that Pres. Trump even made some phone calls to see if Romney could be stopped. Has a right-wing or Trumpian nutter appeared yet to challenge Mitt for the nomination?
    If you didn’t hear, the head of the Utah GOP made waves the other day.

Bashed Mitt for running, said he doesn’t represent Utah, isn’t a Utahn, and isn’t on board with Trump.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...llary-clinton/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    If you didn’t hear, the head of the Utah GOP made waves the other day.

Bashed Mitt for running, said he doesn’t represent Utah, isn’t a Utahn, and isn’t on board with Trump.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...llary-clinton/

Sigh. When I move back to Utah someday I might register as in Independent.

--Yeats

I'm a registered Republican. In Utah I vote Democrat more often than I vote Republican. In California and Connecticut I almost always voted Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I'm a registered Republican. In Utah I vote Democrat more often than I vote Republican. In California and Connecticut I almost always voted Republican.
    Basically you're a moderate.

I'm officially an independent although I typically vote democrat in Utah. I did register as a republican in the latest primary election to replace Chaffetz in order to help who I perceived to be the most moderate Republican get elected.

The Utah GOP Head was promptly chastised by Herbert, Mia Love, Jason Chaffetz and others fwiw

I know the feeling.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The Utah GOP Head was promptly chastised by Herbert, Mia Love, Jason Chaffetz and others fwiw
    Well, yeah, a party leader (Repub or Dem or Libertarian) has no business trying to be king-maker.

--Yeats

Well, yeah, a party leader (Repub or Dem or Libertarian) has no business trying to be king-maker.
    He was pissed off because Romney didnt come kiss his ring and get his blessing first.

I get that Romney isn't going to confront Trump directly the way Sasse or Flake have. But I have high hope that he will keep his independence and appeal to our better nature, as he has through his tweets recently. I expect he wont grovel as hatch does obsequiously, or Lindsay Graham does more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He was pissed off because Romney didnt come kiss his ring and get his blessing first.

I get that Romney isn't going to confront Trump directly the way Sasse or Flake have. But I have high hope that he will keep his independence and appeal to our better nature, as he has through his tweets recently. I expect he wont grovel as hatch does obsequiously, or Lindsay Graham does more and more.
    I have a hunch (and that's all it is) that Mitt, now in his 70s and with no ambitions for higher office, will, once elected, just be himself. Which means the right won't like him but he won't care anymore. I hope I am right.

--Yeats

To vote in a primary in Utah, you have to register with the party that is having the primary.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    To vote in a primary in Utah, you have to register with the party that is having the primary.
    Actually just the Republicans require that. Democrats do not.

Voted for Romney this week. I'm thinking about eating at the Red Iguana today if anyone would care to scream obscenities at me. Perhaps that invitation is better suited to UFN?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Voted for Romney this week. I'm thinking about eating at the Red Iguana today if anyone would care to scream obscenities at me. Perhaps that invitation is better suited to UFN?
    I don't swear, but I'd scream at you if it got me a meal at the Red Iguana.