Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOCAL is where my mind is... Utah @ UCLA and USC

Question: Was this the worst road trip in the history of the Larry era?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Feels like this is a good time to talk about synergy.

Did I ever tell you guys about asking Kodiak to speak to the alumni association after his first year coaching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t think so, but I think you should.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don’t think so, but I think you should.

After his first year we asked Kodiak to speak to the Alumni Association. When the coaches speak it is always the most popular. He asked us what we wanted him to speak about and we told him whatever he’d like but maybe something motivational, info on the team, etc.

So he shows up with a bankers box full of copies he made to hand out with quotes and other things. He says, “I’m going to say a word most of you probably haven’t heard: synergy...” We all glance at each other while he explains. Then he talks about why ducks fly in a v-formation and we the glances become more pronounced.

He went through a half-dozen of those sort of things, all spoken at one point or another in sacrament meetings of half the people there, and the other half knew them all anyway.

We got a good chuckle out of it, and finally someone stopped him and said, “Tell us about the team Coach!”

He relaxed a lot there and it was a good session with him, but we decided next time not to ask them to talk about motivational things.

To his credit he had gone to a ton of work on his packet and stuff.

Question: Was this the worst road trip in the history of the Larry era?
    I would argue 2011-2012 oregon swing. We lost to OSU by 10 and Oregon by 46. That was the infamous game where Oregon got out to a 34-2 lead.

If we are throwing out Larry's first year, I would argue its the trip to the Bay Area the next year where we got rocked by 18 both games. This most recent one is the worst since then that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    After his first year we asked Kodiak to speak to the Alumni Association. When the coaches speak it is always the most popular. He asked us what we wanted him to speak about and we told him whatever he’d like but maybe something motivational, info on the team, etc.

So he shows up with a bankers box full of copies he made to hand out with quotes and other things. He says, “I’m going to say a word most of you probably haven’t heard: synergy...” We all glance at each other while he explains. Then he talks about why ducks fly in a v-formation and we the glances become more pronounced.

He went through a half-dozen of those sort of things, all spoken at one point or another in sacrament meetings of half the people there, and the other half knew them all anyway.

We got a good chuckle out of it, and finally someone stopped him and said, “Tell us about the team Coach!”

He relaxed a lot there and it was a good session with him, but we decided next time not to ask them to talk about motivational things.

To his credit he had gone to a ton of work on his packet and stuff.

Synergy. Wow. What a concept. Why wasn't I told about it? How long has this secret been kept from me?

--Yeats

Synergy. Wow. What a concept. Why wasn't I told about it? How long has this secret been kept from me?
    You see, with synergy you combine two things and get MORE than the sum of its parts...

Did you know that if you turn up the heat slowly a frog won’t jump out of the water until you boil him?

As of today, Utah comes in with an RPI of 50 and UCLA with an RPI of 47. USC sitting at 37 with their win last night.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Everyone playing??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Off the topic a bit....parking at/near Hunty. Where should I park or what are the ideal options? It's been a while since I last drove up to Hunty. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Off the topic a bit....parking at/near Hunty. Where should I park or what are the ideal options? It's been a while since I last drove up to Hunty. Thanks.
    I've never done it but I understand lots of people park at the stadium west lot and jump on Trax up to the Huntsman. I hear that makes getting out after the game a little easier.

--Yeats

I've never done it but I understand lots of people park at the stadium west lot and jump on Trax up to the Huntsman. I hear that makes getting out after the game a little easier.
    This is a great option.

Thanks much, LAU. I'll give that a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Thanks much, LAU. I'll give that a shot.
    If that is full and you are early enough, sometimes you can slip into the LDS institute lot across the street. Sometimes they have that guarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Everyone playing??

Sounds like Jayce will play, but Sed will not.

Like before, everyone who gets minutes for UCLA (except Smith) can shoot the 3. They are all in the 33-43% range, with Holiday and Goloman the most dangerous. Welch is averaging a double double.

Parker listrd on the board as the starter

Dave playing with attitude right now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I like the box and 1 on Holliday with pvd

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Caldwell could be pretty good if he wasn't such a turnover machine

47-40 Utes at the half. Need to cleanup the defensive rebounding...they are killing us on second chance opportunities.

Caldwell could be pretty good if he wasn't such a turnover machine

He's really struggling defensively against #4. Can't stay in front of him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    47-40 Utes at the half. Need to cleanup the defensive rebounding...they are killing us on second chance opportunities.
    And both teams hitting from outside. First team to go cold loses.

Bibbins with 7 assists already.

No foul there for Tillman?

No foul there for Tillman?
    That was so bad. So clear.

We have been in one of our dry spells when we can’t buy a basket.

--Yeats

Collette!

--Yeats

Getting close to
    Crunch time now.

--Yeats

We look dead on offense. Need some energy.

Mark Eaton looks like a giant Kenny Rodgers