Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Our Mojo Back - Utah hosts Washington/Wazzu

Collette is the all time NCAA leader in meaningless fouls that have no impact on the game.

How about that?!?!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    How about that?!?!
    Big game, baby!

I turned the game on just in time to watch Washington finish the first half on a 10-0 run. Got caught up watching some Olympic crap before flipping back to see Utah up 10 in the second half. I was afraid to keep watching but did anyway. Glad I did. Seemed like the refs really wanted to finish the game and did really call anything the last three minutes. Things were getting a bit testy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's another Tier1 win, third of the season. Might have a fourth if Oregon can creep into the top 75. With the committee putting more emphasis on those this year, that is big for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I turned the game on just in time to watch Washington finish the first half on a 10-0 run. Got caught up watching some Olympic crap before flipping back to see Utah up 10 in the second half. I was afraid to keep watching but did anyway. Glad I did. Seemed like the refs really wanted to finish the game and did really call anything the last three minutes. Things were getting a bit testy.
    I was in a similar situation. I heard the last part of the first half, and then had to run some errands. I took a deep breath and tuned back in and suddenly they were up big. Nice turnaround, and a nice win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Me too. I turned it on we were ahead 24-22. I was so disgusted at the half i turned it off. I checked the score out of curiosity and we were up 43-38, so i watched the rest of the way

Let me publicly state that I have no basketball evaluation talent. Last year, I said some pretty vile, lascivious, and untrue things about Ransom as a basketball player. It causes me great shame to dwell upon my conduct.

Dude can ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Let me publicly state that I have no basketball evaluation talent. Last year, I said some pretty vile, lascivious, and untrue things about Ransom as a basketball player. It causes me great shame to dwell upon my conduct.
    All of our guys are manufactured players. A 5-8 PG who respected basketball minds like Kevin O'Neil and Don MacLean tag as maybe the most underrated player in the league? A 6-10 non-athlete with short arms as our most talented frontcourt player (DC)? The other 6-10 guy also has short arms, can shoot it decently from deep, but before this year had (apparently) never used a ball fake to get defense pressure off him.

LK and his staff have spent a LOT of time on the drawing board & in individual development to get this group to where they are.

I thought we were going to be toast unless Seeley was playing a prominent role to deal with our lack of length and athleticism on the front line, I assumed both Bibbins and Barefield would be abused on post ups by bigger guards.

We have four games left, but this has been LK's best coaching season, IMO.

Yesterday I saw news that maybe 3 dozen programs are going to get penalized from the recruiting fraud fiasco the FBI found. The future for Utah looks good.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 02-16-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I am also guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am also guilty.

Actually, we are all fairly good judges of talent, and this team does not have a lot, compared to other pac 12 teams or the Delon-Poeltl-Kuzma years. Like Ma'ake said, It is a cut and paste team, scrambled together when we lost out on a lot of recruiting targets. But it is playing terrfice, fundamental team basketball at the momentt, and has grown exponentially from the beginning of the season. Earlier this year, a zone befuddled us. last night in the second half we sliced through it. That really is a testament to coaching, and this year the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. That was also true of the pre-Delon teams. I never thought we would be where we are now this year. Hats off to the coaching staff.

BTW, I was really impressed with PVD last night. Still cant shoot very well, but he ripped off some rebounds a copule of times that prevented them from getting a second chance to get back into it. He was tough and fought hard.
    Last edited by concerned; 02-16-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Getting Our Mojo Back - Utah hosts Washington/Wazzu

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    BTW, I was really impressed with PVD last night. Still cant shoot very well, but he ripped off some rebounds a copule of times that prevented them from getting a second chance to get back into it. He was tough and fought hard.
    Yes. Last night he reminded me a bit of the Caton brothers, non-star role players who made a difference.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-16-2018 at 09:13 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Weird stat of the day: In this 3 game win streak, Dave Collette is averaging 17.7 points on 88% shooting in 17.3 minutes per game.

Heard Larry K say that Andy Hill is responsible for the zone Utes are playing. Kudos to him, they slide people around & change it up--rather than UW which could not figure out to drop someone on Rawson.

And whoever (or is it whomever) is responsible for teaching the post players how to work underneath is really good---dating back to Washburn (who was a bust until LK was coach), Utes always seem to have someone who can score down low---hope Jayce is next.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Heard Larry K say that Andy Hill is responsible for the zone Utes are playing. Kudos to him, they slide people around & change it up--rather than UW which could not figure out to drop someone on Rawson.

And whoever (or is it whomever) is responsible for teaching the post players how to work underneath is really good---dating back to Washburn (who was a bust until LK was coach), Utes always seem to have someone who can score down low---hope Jayce is next.
    Jokl!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No jayce tonight.
    Foot issue. Big guys with foot problems are usually not a good thing.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Is this where I say *swish*?

Wonder why Barefield isn’t getting any minutes?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I have no idea, but Parker is getting swallowed up on the double team.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Apparently he did something in warmups and is experiencing “discomfort”

Utah getting one shot on offense and keep giving WSU second chances on defense. At least they’ve managed to finally hit a couple of threes or this thing would be over.

Drawing the offensive foul and then that high glass kiss on the other end were so pretty for Bibbins. This kid impresses more and more every game.

Utah getting one shot on offense and keep giving WSU second chances on defense. At least they’ve managed to finally hit a couple of threes or this thing would be over.

Collette must be the worst rebounding big man who ever played. We really missed jayce down the stretch. Their o rebounds got them back in it.

Why no seely?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Collette must be the worst rebounding big man who ever played. We really missed jayce down the stretch. Their o rebounds got them back in it.
    I think part of the reason they got so many offensive rebounds was because they were shooting so many 3’s. Our bigs frequently were closing out to contest the shots in the corners, putting them out of position. Also, three point misses frequently bounce out farther, so even if you box out, the ball goes sat a rebounder with good position.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-17-2018 at 10:20 PM.

that high glass kiss
    What a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Why no seely?

I thought we'd see a lot of him with Jayce out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Why no seely?

Based on our current luck, he probably hurt himself somehow getting off the bus.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-17-2018 at 11:20 PM.