Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Mountain High - Utah vs. Colorado 2018

Rocky Mountain High - Utah vs. Colorado 2018

Only one game this week, but it is a biggie as the Utes head to Boulder to take on Colorado. The Buffs stunned the basketball world when they swept Arizona and ASU at home earlier in the year, but for the most part they've had an up and down year. They sit at 12-10 and 4-6 in the league. They've got an RPI of 60, with an SOS of 23 and are lead by George King (feels like he's been there forever) and McKinley Wright, who both average 14 points per game. Namon Wright, a once upon a time Utah recruit also averages in double figures at 11 per game.

Our Utes counter with a record of 13-8 and 5-5 in league play, coming off of a road split in Arizona, where some inspired basketball was played. We currently have and RPI of 47, with an SOS of 30. We also have four guys averaging double figures, with Donnie Tillman on the cusp and Jayce Johnson playing some of his best basketball during his career at Utah.

Utah has won the last 3 in Boulder, and a win this week would put us at 6-5 in league play, with 5 of 7 remaining at home and a chance to do some serious damage down the stretch. ESPN's matchup predictor gives us a 53.9% chance to walk into Boulder and pick up the win.

This is a big one.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Only one game this week, but it is a biggie as the Utes head to Boulder to take on Colorado. The Buffs stunned the basketball world when they swept Arizona and ASU at home earlier in the year, but for the most part they've had an up and down year. They sit at 12-10 and 4-6 in the league. They've got an RPI of 60, with an SOS of 23 and are lead by George King (feels like he's been there forever) and McKinley Wright, who both average 14 points per game. Namon Wright, a once upon a time Utah recruit also averages in double figures at 11 per game.

Our Utes counter with a record of 13-8 and 5-5 in league play, coming off of a road split in Arizona, where some inspired basketball was played. We currently have and RPI of 47, with an SOS of 30. We also have four guys averaging double figures, with Donnie Tillman on the cusp and Jayce Johnson playing some of his best basketball during his career at Utah.

Utah has won the last 3 in Boulder, and a win this week would put us at 6-5 in league play, with 5 of 7 remaining at home and a chance to do some serious damage down the stretch. ESPN's matchup predictor gives us a 53.9% chance to walk into Boulder and pick up the win.

This is a big one.
    Also if Utah wins Seattle Ute will pay me $100.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

#metoo

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    #metoo
    What was the bet? 6 wins?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    What was the bet? 6 wins?
    Yes sir!

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I just want $

Yes sir!

SeattleUte really thought we would win less than six conference games this year?

screen shot

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    SeattleUte really thought we would win less than six conference games this year?
    Worst bet ever!

He doesn't like LK.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He doesn't like LK.
    The vocal minority that doesn't like LK is fascinating to me. I totally understand the criticisms and shortcomings of Larry but these folks are really something else.

To be fair this was right after the byu game and SU probably just got caught up in the "whoa we are really bad if byu beat us". I was trying to preach that we would most likely be fine in the Pac12 due to the other teams having problems. As I said at the time this was more of a bet on how mediocre the pac12 is this year.

The vocal minority that doesn't like LK is fascinating to me. I totally understand the criticisms and shortcomings of Larry but these folks are really something else.
    LK is not Majerus. That's a problem for some.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    LK is not Majerus. That's a problem for some.
    . LK does not possess Majerus' coaching prowess. He also does not have his negative attributes. I don't think the Majerus we knew could function in the college basketball world today, although I don't remember any real issues from his final gig at St. Louis or wherever he was.

Utes a pickem in boulder tonight

I thought our game vs Arizona was our best game of the year, even if we came up just short. The talent mismatch was impressively negated by execution of a really, really good game plan.

Part of me thinks Sean Miller got out-coached, and there's only so much you can do coaching one-and-dones like Ayton. The other part thinks maybe our Utes are discovering what they're capable of, if they execute the plan and let the coaches make them look good. Barefield in particular seems to have turned a corner, but outside shooting can vary more than any other ingredient.

Tonight isn't make-or-break, but we may be able to see if the AZ game was unique, or if our guys are really coming together.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This kind of thinking with Barefield will drive you crazy. He's up and down. I think that's part of the package.
    Maybe I am off here, but it seems like Sedrick has been given the freedom to freelance a little more in the last few games. I don't know if that is a conscious move by the coaches, but it seems to have helped a little. While I certainly dont expect him to play like he did versus Arizona all the time, I do hope he finds some consistency.

Maybe I am off here, but it seems like Sedrick has been given the freedom to freelance a little more in the last few games. I don't know if that is a conscious move by the coaches, but it seems to have helped a little. While I certainly dont expect him to play like he did versus Arizona all the time, I do hope he finds some consistency.
    Krystkowiak talked about Sed in a Trib article before it went behind the pay wall.

He said they’ve worked with Sed on making things more simple. He said Sed often tries to make things more complicated. They’ve shown him film of gaps he should attack and how to get his shots and he’s responded to it.

Basically said Sed is a strong athletic kid who needs to just take the simple things that come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just seems odd to see PVD starting.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

We’d have a comfortable lead if we could hit some open shots. Shooting a ridiculously low % so far.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

First half we took 10 more shots, had more rebounds, assists, and less turnovers. But we are down by 7 because we are shooting 27% from the field, and 14% from 3 point range. SMH. Ball didn’t go in the hoop.

I can't tell if Larry's coat is mauve, red or pink

Heh heh. I keep hearing the announcers call the Colorado player C-Word.

We seem to be giving up. We need 2 or 3 guys to step it up if we are going to make this a game.

No heart. No brain. Very disappointing given the number of upper classmen.

Why not try Caldwell earlier? He can brick them just as well as the others

Just got back from boulder. What a lousy game.

7 remaining. Need to go 4-3 and finish .500. Not sure we can do it.
    I think we can hold serve at home, and pick up at least one on the Washington trip. 6-2 remains a possibility in my mind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This team is so maddeningly up and down. At times we have looked like not only a tournament team but a team that could make some noise. At other times, we look like a team that will have no postseason opportunities.

An at large bid is all but gone (I think at this point it would take 7-0 and some luck and that ain't happening) .

This team is so maddeningly up and down. At times we have looked like not only a tournament team but a team that could make some noise. At other times, we look like a team that will have no postseason opportunities.

An at large bid is all but gone (I think at this point it would take 7-0 and some luck and that ain't happening) .
    I think that probably all depends on how soft the bubble is. Let's assume for a second that the Utes can finish 6-2 (dropping one to either StanFord, one of the SoCal Schools, or Washington - I know, we're leaping here).

That would put them at 11-7 in the league and 19-10 overall. They may still be very much in play for a first round bye, and if not, would probably be the 5th seed, which would give them a shot at winning 2 games in Vegas, and playing Arizona for a shot to go to the Pac 12 title game. So that then potentially gives them 3 wins in Vegas (22-10) and almost certainly an RPI top 25 win, plus the win earlier in the year over Missouri, which continues to look good (current RPI of 33). Again, we're stretching, but it isn't impossible.

Look at what everyone else around us in the standings has as well:

USC (@UCLA, @Arizona, @ASU, vs. OSU, vs. Oregon, @Utah, @Colorado, vs. UCLA)
    UCLA (vs. USC, @ASU, @Arizona, vs. Oregon, vs. OSU, @Colorado, @Utah, @USC)
    Wash (vs. Arizona, @Oregon, @ OSU, vs. Utah, vs. Colorado, @Stanford, @Cal, vs. OSU, vs. Oregon)
    Stanford (vs. Oregon, @Utah @Colorado, @Cala, vs. Wash, vs. Wazzu, @Arizona, @ASU)
    Oregon (@Stanford, vs. Wash, vs. Wazzu, @UCLA, @USC, vs. ASU, vs. Arizona, @ Wazzu, @Wash)
    ASU (@Wazzu, vs. USC, vs. UCLA, vs. Arizona, @Oregon, @OSU, vs. Cal, Vs. Stanford)
    Colorado (vs. Cal, vs. Stanford, @Wazzu, @Washington, vs. USC, vs. UCLA, @Utah)

All of this is a long way of saying that pretty much everyone we're bunched up with has a challenging path down the stretch. Arizona is the only lock. Even USC, who looks good right now has 3 games they could drop on the road. Even so, they'll probably be the 2 seed unless they fall apart. If they were to only lose their remaining road games, they too would finish 11-7.

Keep hope alive!

At this point, it's more likely we get lucky and win 3-4 in a row in Vegas.

We have 7 games left. Three are against teams that have already routed us. Two others are against teams ahead of us in the standings. We'll be lucky to finish 4-3.
    so we really have to win 6 of 7 if we want the first round bye. Thankfully 5 of the 7 are at go home and the road games are 2 teams we have beaten. Yeah we were routed by 3 teams but they were all on the road.