Thread: Krister Stendahl's Three Rules for Interfaith Discussion and Religious Understanding

Krister Stendahl's Three Rules for Interfaith Discussion and Religious Understanding

1. If you are going to ask the question what do others believe, ask them, not their critics, not their enemies.
    2. If you are going to compare, don't compare your bests with their worsts, but compare bests with bests.
    3. Leave room for holy envy (By this Stendahl meant that you should be willing to recognize elements in the other religious tradition or faith that you admire and wish could, in some way, be reflected in your own religious tradition or faith.)

Krister Stendahl (21 April 1921 – 15 April 2008) was a Swedish theologian and New Testament scholar, and Church of Sweden Bishop of Stockholm. He also served as professor and professor emeritus at Harvard Divinity School.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krister_Stendahl

Those are great. I really like #3. I know that as an LDS convert, there are definitely things I miss from my Protestant upbringing.

Regarding holy envy, I admire Catholicsm's self-confidence. They don't seem to freak out over criticism the way the members of some (cough!) faiths do. That's probably because they've been around so long, they've pretty much been hit every way a church can be hit. I also admire the Christmas Eve services other churches have. A lovely tradition.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Regarding holy envy, I admire Catholicsm's self-confidence. They don't seem to freak out over criticism the way the members of some (cough!) faiths do. That's probably because they've been around so long, they've pretty much been hit every way a church can be hit. I also admire the Christmas Eve services other churches have. A lovely tradition.
    That and Easter morning sunrise services are among those things I ws referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    1. If you are going to ask the question what do others believe, ask them, not their critics, not their enemies.
    2. If you are going to compare, don't compare your bests with their worsts, but compare bests with bests.
    3. Leave room for holy envy (By this Stendahl meant that you should be willing to recognize elements in the other religious tradition or faith that you admire and wish could, in some way, be reflected in your own religious tradition or faith.)

Krister Stendahl (21 April 1921 – 15 April 2008) was a Swedish theologian and New Testament scholar, and Church of Sweden Bishop of Stockholm. He also served as professor and professor emeritus at Harvard Divinity School.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krister_Stendahl
    On #1, I always enjoy when I tell someone what I believe and they tell me, 'No you don't.' As an LDS person I've always been entertained by this notion of 'well they TEACH you that, but they REALLY believe this...' I've always been fascinated by and enjoy learning about all religions. I'm always amazed at the happiness that people find and particularly when that religion helps them change for the better. I remember meeting a muslim who gave me a Koran, and I found out after he gave it to me the type he had given me was worth thousands of dollars. I returned it to him, and got a much cheaper version (that also had it translated in English so I could understand).

#2. As an LDS person, I remember the seeming shock from some of my church's members when President Hinckley talked about other faiths bringing their good to our religion. Up to that point, I think that many people thought we had it nailed.

#3. Music in other churches is great. I love music and find such great stuff in other religions. I wish we could step it up a notch beyond Jericho Road.

These same rules could easily be adapted to 'Talking about other people's children...'

Mormon music rules.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Been around for 2,013 years, we've developed very thick skin
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Comparison shopping religions is fascinating, an outgrowth of the "conversion" way of looking at belief systems, something the Hindus find to be very odd. (Since they believe there is more than one road to heaven, converting from one religion to another is not only unnecessary, it's an insult to your family and ancestors.)

That said, if you're considering changing your institution of choice, why *wouldn't* you take a well-rounded look, and compare viewpoints? Why not bounce the Ford and Chevy dealers off each other?

This reminds me of the discussion Mr. Crimson engaged a young LDS woman in, finally getting her to admit "I don't know everything I believe, but I know it's true". (Crimson could be a real SOB, but also funny.)

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    Been around for 2,013 years, we've developed very thick skin
    More like 1,688 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    #3. Music in other churches is great. I love music and find such great stuff in other religions. I wish we could step it up a notch beyond Jericho Road.
    MoTab seems to agree. I've been watching Music and the Spoken Word a lot on weekends lately, and they have been doing a lot of southern spirituals. I wish our hymn book had a little more pep to it.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    MoTab seems to agree. I've been watching Music and the Spoken Word a lot on weekends lately, and they have been doing a lot of southern spirituals. I wish our hymn book had a little more pep to it.
    MoTab is great as far as it goes -- and under Mack Wilberg they've made great strides. I enjoy them much more now. But I actually enjoy smaller UK-based choirs more, like the Cambridge Singers or any choir John Rutter directs.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

MoTab is great as far as it goes -- and under Mack Wilberg they've made great strides. I enjoy them much more now. But I actually enjoy smaller UK-based choirs more, like the Cambridge Singers or any choir John Rutter directs.
    Yeah, just an example of principle #3 from the OP.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I like this version of "For the Beauty of the Earth" better than the version of the LDS Hymnbook:

Sung by: Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School (Primary) choir

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I like this version of "For the Beauty of the Earth" better than the version of the LDS Hymnbook:

Sung by: Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School (Primary) choir
    I love that version. It's an English choir, of course. The fourth version is not in the LDS hymnbook, and I wish it were:

For each perfect gift of thine
    To our race so freely given
    Graces human and divine
    Flow'rs of earth and buds of heav'n
    Flow'rs of earth and buds of heav'n
    That's John Rutter's music and arrangement, BTW. What's interesting is that Mack Wilberg is a Rutter fan. Shortly after Rutter's version came out, the Tab Choir begamn performing it and recorded it on its own album. I am glad Wilberg lets himself be influenced by modern musicians other than Janice Kapp Perry.

Here are Rutter's Cambridge Singers doing his version:

--Yeats